Schnurren, Growlers Purring 2001 Golf GL TDI

nkfry

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI
That stinks, my stock clutch held RC3 for about 4 months without issue, then went to Malone stage 4 & an 11mm pump and that was all she wrote. :p

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Check out that Fuelly Average..

Last two tanks have averaged over 50mpg. 50.1 & 50.7 respectively.

Good times.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
4/26/13 171,108 miles

Schnurren got an Oil change, Tire rotation, New Oil pan and Smoothie Hubcaps installed.

Busy day for me today, In addition to the above,

MODA the family Eurovan got an oil change, Tire rotation, and Hover conversion installed.

Knurren got an Oil Change, Fuel Filter, and a G070 Gear oil replacement.

And I also Redneck Cleaned an intake to prepare for the Beetle Intake cleaning I have to do tomorrow.

Have I mentioned how much I love my new lift?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I like the German nicks for your cars! Knurren (in ref to the Beetle?), and Schnurren (meow!)

Those hubs look great! Did they come from the Beetle? Seems to me you had them on that car.... And those headrests look mighty familiar! I did the same thing with MY Golf. I used the headrests from my Beetle too!

PS love the Golfizing of your wagon. I never liked the Jetta nose that much.

Congratulations on the new ride! :cool:

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Thanks!

Actually, Knurren is the wagon. it definately Growls more than the beetle ever did,, and Schnurren still purrs like a kitten, 1 year and 20k+ miles later.

the beetle had oldschool Aircooled hubcaps on it, these on the golf are straight off ebay.

A photo of the Beetle back in 2004 for the Southern Volksfest show in Atlanta where it won 1st place in Modified Beetle. I was very proud.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=66301&highlight=Growler and the photo thread from that bug.

Hard to believe that was almost 10 years ago now..

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDI
I thought Growler was your car's nickname, like BeetleGo was mine; hence, BeetleGo(ne)!

I guess we all had Beetle phases. I like my Golf even more, and I did like my Beetle a lot. Nothing handles like one!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Growler was my Beetles nickname, which became my nickname, so I am keeping the theme going with Knurren, and then Schnurren

BeetleGo

TDI
Also, a dog grows and a cat purrs. So you've got that them going too! It will be interesting to see what animal the next car you get reminds you of! :D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Today, the Golf got an emergency Oil Cooler seal change...along with an oil change 183k miles.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Well the rusty fender on the golf finally got the best of me. I ordered a replacement fender from carparts.com for less than $70 shipped.

In the mean time, I printed out some clipart and got out the sharpie...

yep.. Rust Monsters!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Saturday 6/21/14 the Alternator, Serp tensioner and idler roller all got replaced.

Note to self, don't overtighten the alternator mount bolts.. its no fun when they snap off...

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Holy rust!! I've never seen a mk4 with rust before. I'm glad you got it taken care of!

What type and where did you order the vacuum lines? My stock ones are starting to rot, and I kinda like the red to go with the T-Red paint. :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Vacuum lines are the ones listed in the TDI101 thread by Paramedick. they are silicone and sold by the foot.

its best to replace only one line at a time so you do not hook them up wrong. there are a lot of them and it is not too difficult to replace them one at a time.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Ok, so it has been a while since I updated this.

Golf is siting right at 199k miles now. I have recently installed a set of coilover rear spring perches and screwed them up about 1.5". I have also installed a couple of galvanized pipe couplers in the front to raise it 1.5" also.

since i had some great fairly new tires on the Eurovan before it went away, I put the steelies with the almost worn tires on the van and kept the alloys with the nice new tires..

EuroVan tires are sized 225 60 16.. and the wheels they were on had a 5x112 bolt pattern.

I had a set of New Beetle 16" alloys with the proper 5x100 bolt pattern floating around the garage... time to visit the tire store to swap the tires around. :)

once I got those back from the tire place locally all nicely mounted and balanced, My oldest son & I tried to install them.. the fronts were so wide that they were within a hair of rubbing on the front struts.. Darn.

GO AMAZON PRIME Free 2 day shipping. 2x 5mm adapters and $24 later..

A little of this..

Some removal of rear splash guards..

Repeat 4x, with addition of 5mm spacers on the front wheels..

yep, they fit, they do not rub, and now I have space for a 1.5L bottle of G12 under the rockers... :D

Good times.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Today the golf turned 200...

Still running like a champ. still getting over 48mpg average.. beena gread 40k miles so far.

BeetleGo

TDI
Bravo to both of you! Have either of you started a 'buy a new TDI' fund yet? This is the time to make AFFORDABLE payments to a Christmas fund at your bank. When the time comes, presto!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Bravo to both of you! Have either of you started a 'buy a new TDI' fund yet? This is the time to make AFFORDABLE payments to a Christmas fund at your bank. When the time comes, presto!
Me? I don't want a new TDI. This one costs much less to maintain per annum than car payments would be.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
have not started a new car fund because I am still enjoying my current two TDIs too much...

I am lusting after one of those new passats though. my kids arent getting any smaller and those get phenominal mileage..

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
After 20k miles I took off the Eurovan tires in the previous posts. they wre wearing out and I was getting sick of having to adjust my mileage calculations every fill up for the oversized tires.

this Spring the Downpipe broke in half behind the cat

so at 223,000 miles, I figure it had a good run. Calle dup Matt Whitbread and he sent me a link to a flex section to purchase ahead of his GTG last weekend. On Friday evening after My son & I arrived, Matt built another piece of artwork for me to hang under anoter of my cars. 2.5" stainless steel catless Downpipe FTW.

MMM rainbow welds.

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
You still knocking around in Schnurren?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
yeah, my oldest son is driving it daily back and forth to school. it si showing its age quite a bit.

I have gotten ahold of a replacement hood and put that on this past summer, and have a line on replacement doors and hatch for good prices.. the hatch is rusted out below the handle and the windows have both broken their clips this year... the turbo is seized up and needs some easy-off to try to free it up so he can have boost...

needless to say, its the red headed step child of the fleet, but still is returning decent mileage for my son.

the ALH is such a great engine.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
i hope one day my kids can take my alh’s and keep going with it. However, now that I’ve got three, I’ll have to get another alh ... you know, so it’ll be fair :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BeetleGo

TDI
I will drive my TDI with 134,000 miles into the ground, or at least significantly further. Then I’ll switch to a one speed electric Model Y, when I can get a good off lease one in about ten years ( maybe sending the Golf down through the family, but I might keep it so that I still have a stick to row).
?