added another TDI to the family

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Okay, time for some fresh pictures of this brought back from the dead Golf~! Did you do the wheels with pickle caps?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, finally got it running correctly. I was out of core injectors and had to put some previously-WVO-tooefed-injector assemblies in, just to move the car, car ran like crap, stuck some other used ones I had in, then the car ran fine but was down on power. Come to find out that they were automatic injectors, and despite having the 11mm pump on this engine, it was still a dog.

But, it started easy, ran well, and (drum roll, please) smacked off 56 MPG right off the bat !!! :eek: It was WAY underfueling... oil stayed clean for 1000+ miles.

Finally got my rebuilt stock 5-sp injectors in this morning, and now it runs like a proper ALH should. Actually, it runs wicked fantastic. No, it runs like a fat guy to an all-you-can-eat donut buffet! :D

The software is some mystery stuff. I have no functional EGR on this engine, as the EGR cooler is gone. However, the car passed all the readiness monitors including EGR flow, and passed out OBD test, and has never set a DTC. It also seems like it may be boosting a bit over stock levels, need to check that.

Still no visible exhaust smoke, which surprised me with a stock turbo and the 11mm pump.

So now to get the A/C straightened out, skidplate installed, and suspension rebuilt. Axle beam bushings are one of my least favorite things to do. I also have to replace all the brakes with decent parts, get some headlights that actually work, and try and track down this funky smell in the interior. :cool:

oilhammer

TDI
A lot of work on a car with nearly 400,000 miles on it. Must be love...

If you can find me a nicer one for what I have in this one, I'd love to see it. This is a $19k car, I am happy as a clam to have only about $3k in it! :)

My Jetta has OVER 400k... and it is 9 years OLDER. :cool:

BeetleGo

TDI
We should have threads for 300k, 400k, 500k, etc.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
If you can find me a nicer one for what I have in this one, I'd love to see it. This is a $19k car, I am happy as a clam to have only about $3k in it! :)

My Jetta has OVER 400k... and it is 9 years OLDER. :cool:
19K ?? with 400K ? only a mechanic could justify all this work on an old car....
tell us honestly how many labor hours you have in this baby? (excluding cosmetic and interior cleaning of course)

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, the car sold new for around $19,000. It is still a $19k car to me.

Including the purchase price, I have spent about as much on this car as about 40% of a new stripper Kia Rio, add in my labor if you like and we are still not close to that same Rio. Don't know about you, but I'd rather drive a $19k car than a $9k car, especially considering how much less fuel it uses.

And yes, I do fix cars like this all the time. Some people would rather keep driving a nice paid for premium car than make payments on a lesser car. I like having no debt, more Americans should play the game like I do and maybe there would be less bankruptcies and foreclosures, eh? :rolleyes:

BTW, how much interest will you spend on your 2011?

My Jetta is an $11,860 car... I know, I wrote the check for that amount. I won't forget that one. And I still have the car.... 20 years later. :)

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Some people would rather keep driving a nice paid for premium car than make payments on a lesser car. I like having no debt, more Americans should play the game like I do and maybe there would be less bankruptcies and foreclosures, eh?
I'm certainly with you on that.

mxcobra

TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Ind Blue)
I love your second paragraph, thats soooo true !

Yes, the car sold new for around $19,000. It is still a $19k car to me.

Including the purchase price, I have spent about as much on this car as about 40% of a new stripper Kia Rio, add in my labor if you like and we are still not close to that same Rio. Don't know about you, but I'd rather drive a $19k car than a $9k car, especially considering how much less fuel it uses.

And yes, I do fix cars like this all the time. Some people would rather keep driving a nice paid for premium car than make payments on a lesser car. I like having no debt, more Americans should play the game like I do and maybe there would be less bankruptcies and foreclosures, eh? :rolleyes:

BTW, how much interest will you spend on your 2011?

My Jetta is an $11,860 car... I know, I wrote the check for that amount. I won't forget that one. And I still have the car.... 20 years later. :)

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
Where does one get a Golf/Jetta in this condition? I have been looking for months and the ones that need this kind of work cost over 2 grand!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Look for a New Beetle. They're always less expensive. A co-worker here got one that needed a clutch an brakes for $800.

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
It has been considered, I am just more a fan of the Jetta/Golf. I have never had one and always loved the look. Sorry to hijack the thread Oilhammer.

oilhammer

TDI
Hijack away, glad to hear from a fellow Missourian and someone who invites the challenge and gratification of bringing an old(er) car back to service.

My Golf will be hitting 420k miles soon, runs and drives like a top!

MineoTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Hey!
I'm glad to see this working for you. I just got a similar car in similar condition, timing belt broke and the mechanic the guy brought it to messed up the replacement belt...
Anyway got the car for 750$ and want to save its life as well. It's got 270 k miles on it. Seeing yours with 400 gives me hope for mine.

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
Hey!
I'm glad to see this working for you. I just got a similar car in similar condition, timing belt broke and the mechanic the guy brought it to messed up the replacement belt...
Anyway got the car for 750$ and want to save its life as well. It's got 270 k miles on it. Seeing yours with 400 gives me hope for mine.
Where did you get one for $750? I offered a guy $500 for one I saw today with a broken timing belt and destroyed head. He wanted 3 grand or something crazy.

MineoTDI

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
He was a guy I saw from time to time in the neighborhood a few blocks away, and so we worked something out. He had it sitting in his driveway for a month so I asked him about it.

Shane47

TDI
Mk3 AAZ
Wow! Impressive! And people in the uk complain 100,000 miles is a lot!

oilhammer

TDI
483,862 miles this morning. I have officially put ANOTHER 100,000 miles on this Golf since the Great Untooefing. :D

I just had to replace a window regulator, and went ahead and replaced that door's bad latch. See, I knew if I waiting long enough and just lived with a bad latch eventually the regulator would break. :eek:

Now I am down to just one bad latch! :cool:

Here's to a half million miles coming up soon!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Nice! I've been putting miles on my ALH since its engine replacement a couple months ago, at 298K and moving up pretty quickly. My poor MKVI Golf just sits, because I'd rather drive the wagon. MKIVs are pretty impressive cars, maybe at the tail end of over-engineering and construction before industry cost-cutting took over.

BeetleGo

TDI
Peter, you're preachin' to the choir here! I wonder what the percentage of club members have and swear by their ever aging Mark IV's?!

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Peter, you're preachin' to the choir here! I wonder what the percentage of club members have and swear by their ever aging Mark IV's?!

I'm in that club. I'm debating an A5 Jetta when mine gets to 300k, but unless I find the perfect one, I'll stay in the ALH.

Congrats Brian!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I feel awkward. Am I blaspheming the mk iv ? i just rolled over 200K a month ago... it's an 03 so it's only 12 years old, but I hope I'm not missing out on all the high mileage fun.