My 97 Golf CL TDI swap

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
I bought this thing for $1500 because I needed a daily driver that got better than the 8mpg my Grand Cherokee was getting... I'm a poor college student so every penny counts! Previous owner from the guy I bought it from swapped in an AHU from a donor Jetta, along with trans, harness, fuel tank, shifter, ECU, pedal assembly, cluster, et cetera.

Motor stuff:
Stage 4+ Malone tune
Race 520 injectors
3" off the turbo to 2.5", no cat, Spintech 6332 muffler
EGR delete
AC delete
Intake mani from a Passat (he said? I know 8v mk2s and Jeeps, this is all witchcraft to me)
Front mount with 2" piping
Fresh head gasket, ARP head studs
Fresh timing belt and water pump
11mm fuel pump
Brand new turbo (claims it's a KO3, also my first boosted car so I have no friggin clue. I haven't gotten down to check it, and I honestly don't know what I'm looking at, so I've been cruising the forums and image searches for numbers so I know what I actually have when I check it out)
Fuel filter changed to a CAT screw-on type

The kid claimed 150hp and 276 ft-lbs. It certainly scoots, so they might be accurate, but I just don't have the time or the desire to bring it someplace to dyno it. It drives, gets stupidly good mileage compared to my Jeep, and I love driving it, so I don't really care about the actual numbers.

He told me it was on Racelands, but when I went to do the front bearings and brakes all around I discovered they were Konis. It was cranked way too low, so I brought it back up to where the control arms sat parallel to the ground. Mostly because I live on a dirt road, but also because at some point I'd like to see how it does at one of the local autocrosses.

Also has gunmetal-powdercoated Snowflakes and a Jetta front end with E-codes, which are of course crooked as fawk. Came with the Votex rack, too!

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
Thanks! It came with its share of issues, like the motor mounts being 100% hockey pucks, but I have a brand new set of OEM mounts for it, along with a few new interior pieces. I think it has the incorrect panel for the passenger knee bar, the glove box doesn't sit right and the top clips and screws won't go in. I'm not sure if there's a difference between the airbag and upper glove box dashes though, I'm still learning mk3s.

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
Definitely more fun! The snowflakes honestly are what sold me on the car, I had a set powdercoated the same color on my Mk2 Jetta Coupe. Nostalga and all that.

My latest issue is the usual Mk3 ignition switch issue. New one on the way, but I had to make a fused pushbutton jumper for the starter in the parking garage at school. Not fun, let me tell you. The strut bearings are making creaking noises too, but luckily it came with a box of parts in the trunk and a pair of brand new bearings was in the pile.

TheFawkingHux

TDI
Mk3 Golf CL
Thanks!
Went to the UConn car show with some friends, discovered in the entry line that the fan wasn't turning on... haven't checked the fan itself yet but I checked the control box under the coolant bottle. The one 20A fuse is good and that funky 30A is good, box isn't melted or waterlogged. I'm going to check the switch in the radiator and start chasing wires, if I can't find it I'm going to modify the shroud for a Spal 4000cfm 18" low-profile I have left over from my Jeep project.

Picture from my way home after the show: