Instrument cluster replacement

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I was cleaning my car today and when I got to my dirty instrument cluster I used paper towel and all-purpose cleaner. When I finished I noticed that I scratched up my instrument cluster. It's not that bad but definitely noticeable, especially on the RPM side. Long term it might not be a big deal to me, but right now I'm exploring options.

How easy it it to replace the Mk7 cluster? I found this thread on removing the Mk6 cluster, and I can't imagine much has changed.

Also, I can only find them on eBay, and only one of those was from a TDI, that being a Mk7 from Canada. Would that cluster be different than an American? Also, are the TDI's instrument clusters different than the TSI?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Canadian would probably be in Kilometers. As far as differences between TSI and TDI
the tach on a gasser goes to around 8000 on a TDI it only goes to about 5000.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Way better plan and does not require replacing/removing the cluster.

Meguar's #17 clear plastic cleaner to remove the scratches, followed by #10 Meguiar's clear plastic polish to restore the shine.

Takes some elbow grease but will take care of light scratches to a new appearance. The soft blue towels that the auto parts sell will work fine.

Several hundred $ or under $20 or so, you decide.

Last edited:

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I'd do what Ol'Rattler said, use some polishing compound and polish. It works on headlights, it should work fine on the instrument panel cover.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Ol Rattler is spot on, used the Meguairs products on motorcycle windscreens too many times to count.

Worst case, pick up a cluster from ebay and just swap out the clear plastic cover.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
If that doesn't work, you may also be able to swap just the clear plastic part in which case it wouldn't matter which one you got as long as it was from an mk7. The instrument cluster is part of the immobilizer system so you wouldn't be able to simply replace the cluster with a used one.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Thanks for the tips everyone. Franky my only concern with using a polishing compound on it is making the problem worse then being unable to fix it. It's a tight squeeze in there, after all. One's range of motion is a bit limited.

Also, if I were to replace the plastic cover I'd still need to figure out how to remove the entire cluster. It seems like the surrounding dash still pops off with a trim tool.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
And replacing the instrument cluster, you stand the chance of breaking plastic tabs. Even when doing the simplest plastic removal I always break some tab or clip. I read on this forum previously, to work on plastic parts when it is hot/warm outside, prevents the plastic from being brittle and when warm the plastic has some flex and bending.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Thanks for the tips everyone. Franky my only concern with using a polishing compound on it is making the problem worse then being unable to fix it. It's a tight squeeze in there, after all. One's range of motion is a bit limited.

Also, if I were to replace the plastic cover I'd still need to figure out how to remove the entire cluster. It seems like the surrounding dash still pops off with a trim tool.
I can't figure out how to post the instructions here but removing the instrument cluster doesn't look to be too bad-a few trim pieces around it and 3 bolts that secure the cluster. No need to remove the steering wheel or the whole dash. There is one electrical connector on the back side.