The NARFmobile, My 2001 Golf TDI

Which words in raised white letter for my tire sidewalls? See post #220 for pictures

• NARFATOMIC BLASTOMIC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NARFATOMIC BLASTOMATIC

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST

• NARF ATOMIC BLAST

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • NARF BLAST

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • NARFBLAST ATOMIC

• NARFOMATIC ATOMIC BLAST

• NARFATOMIC ATOMICBLAST

• NARF ATOMIC BLASTOMATIC

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • EPIC FACEPALM

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Part 3 of 3

Back to School Tune-Up Part 3 of 3 - Injection Pump Case Relief Valve

I remember Windex, when he did my last timing belt, showing me this valve and how the guts like to slide out of it over time. I did some research and it turns out that case pressure is used to advance timing when requested. That could be my problem right there! This seemed like an easy thing to check, but it would involve "opening" the injection pump, so I would have to be meticulous - which is always exciting!

First I cleaned the external part of the valve:

Then I realized that neither my crows-foot or other wrenches would be able to loosen it. I figured I would have to make my own special tool - which is always exciting!

It took a few trips to the vice to get it ground out enough to slide down nicely:

Its always fun and satisfying to make your own keys to open things you are not supposed to open:

You know the fit is good when you can stand the tool straight on head of the bolt, at an angle to vertical, and it doesn't fall over:

Anyway, the relief valve guts had indeed started to slip out:

So I tapped them back in flush:

And I went for a test drive, with no change in my symptoms. Bummer.

I went back and read Jeff's email again:

"Logs look good except for some missing boost and timing. It may be struggling to lift/deliver fuel from a clogged fuel filter", was the first line in his email.

It was at that moment when I realized I should check when the last time the fuel filter was changed. Turns out it was changed last spring, just as I had vaguely remembered, but what blew me away was that I had put on 50,000 km since then! The fuel filter is overdue and could very well be the source of my lack of case pressure and lack of timing advance!

I can not prove this theory until my shipment of fuel filters (qty. 2) arrives later this week.

If there had been a fuel filter on the shelf I might have changed that first, but instead I went around the long way eventually circled back to the first thing I should have done. Just another reason to always have extra filters on hand. In hind-sight I remember thinking, "hrm, check the fuel filter, okay I don't have spares so I guess I will move on to the next thing on the list, dumb dee dumb." And I didn't even bother to check my service history because I figured, "I just changed that last year anyway."

The other funny thing is that I have had clogged filters give me symptoms of reduced top end power before, so I should have known better.

I'm hoping its the fuel filter, but I have also ordered some fuel line because the stuff between the filter and pump looks cracked and the clear plastic part looks kinked and also there are sometimes streams of bubbles.

Either way, the car runs great and pulls harder than before, and I have an endless supply of stuff to tinker with. The fun never ends.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Still Missing Timing and Boost

I changed the fuel filter, and immediately opened the old one up to have a look before going for a test drive with the new one:

The paper was still wet, and some of the diesel that was touching the hot metal vaporized, but there was no fire:

Their was a whole lot of brown dirt on the filter paper:

I was excited to go for a test drive.

I was slightly disappointing that the wide-open-throttle-haze was not gone from the mirror. (Sorry, no picture.)

I even went in and checked the case relief valve again, and it had started to come out slightly, so I tapped it back in slightly below flush for good measure and replaced the small end o-ring because it looked super flat. There is modification to keep the guts in but I can't find it anywhere and I don't think it really matters anyway.

The air filter was not due but the snow screen was clogged so I changed the filter anyway:

The timing advance at max throttle and load has gone from 16.1 to 17.8 but requested is 19.4 and we are still not meeting that target so the N108 duty cycle is pegged at 96.4%. Also, boost still doesn't seem to be doing what it should. It springs up to 14psi then sometimes slowly climbs higher to max out around 17psi. VAG-COM logs show actual boost never quite meeting the requested 18psi.

It might be that my old injection pump just can't get case pressures up that high anymore. A lift pump has been suggested, but I don't really want to go there.

I could set the basic timing a little more advanced and see what happens but I don't want to go outside the specified range.

I think I will just enjoy the car for a little while the way it is and try not to worry about it. Its runs awesome except for the conspicuous haze above 80% throttle. I just filled the tank so I try and relax and drive for mileage and see what I get.

I will replace my fuel lines when they arrive, although, there is probably nothing wrong with the old ones:

Also I think I got the coolant leak fixed. Whoppie.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I even went in and checked the case relief valve again, and it had started to come out slightly, so I tapped it back in slightly below flush for good measure and replaced the small end o-ring because it looked super flat. There is modification to keep the guts in but I can't find it anywhere and I don't think it really matters anyway.
The modification was the installation of a keystone behind the end plug that prevented the plug from slipping down and out. Keystones were fabricated and sold by Whitbread, but no longer are, AFAIK.

Here are the dimensions of the keystone for you to fabricate:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
The modification was the installation of a keystone behind the end plug that prevented the plug from slipping down and out. Keystones were fabricated and sold by Whitbread, but no longer are, AFAIK.

Here are the dimensions of the keystone for you to fabricate:
Would that just drop down in the hole in the pump before re-installing the valve? Interesting.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Replaced Rubber Fuel Lines for Two More Degrees of Timing

I can hardly believe it but I have logged data to prove it: I picked up two degrees of timing by replacing these old rubber (and plastic) fuel lines:

My theory was that if air was getting into the lines then that would reduce injection pump case pressure which would reduce timing advance.

Not only were the old filter-to-pump lines swollen and cracked and kinked, but I also wonder about the joints where the plastic meets metal meets rubber times two for each line. If you do the math that is 3 joints x 2 transitions per line x 2 lines = 12 possible points of air ingress. I guess this is not a problem on the return line as that should not be under vacuum and it is returning to the tank but then there is the thermostatic tee in there that could be recirculating air.

Regardless, I had decided to replace them with relatively cheap, generic, sold-by-the-foot, 8mm ID fuel line. I would also replace the lines from the filter back to the firewall because they also looked old and nasty.

The only hard part about replacing these lines was removing the old hoses from the plastic 90 degree fittings near the firewall. To make the job easier I un-clipped both fittings and snipped the rubber hose just beyond where I figured the plastic fitting ended inside. Then I used a razor blade and a pick to carefully remove the rubber without damaging the plastic.

At the injection pump or the fuel filter it is possible to just grab the rubber hose with pliers and twist it to break it free. If I had tried that with these plastic fittings they would have broken for sure. This one seemed to be glued to the rubber hose:

Also I was not able to re-use the old clips on this fittings because they are a type that I found impossible to open without damaging them. I guess they are one time use. Luckily I found some small hose clamps and took great pride in installing them in the same orientation with the flats in the screws level to ground:

I was really surprised that she fired right up instantly even though the fuel lines were installed dry and not primed. I guess there was plenty of fuel in the injection pump and the fuel filter. I took a quick test drive to the grocery store and thought I noticed less smoke when I took the long way back on the highway.

Later I took a longer test drive and logged some data, but first, what did I say it was doing before?

The timing advance at max throttle and load has gone from 16.1 to 17.8 but requested is 19.4 and we are still not meeting that target so the N108 duty cycle is pegged at 96.4%.
Right, now timing will reach well over 19 but starts to drop off at 4600 rpm. The duty cycle is high between 80 and 90% and only pegs when the timing drops off at redline. I would call this a "result".

There is still a slight haze at wide open throttle, but I guess that is to be expected with RC3 and Sprint 520's?

I think I might advance the basic physical timing a little further just to see if I can get those advance solenoid duty cycles to come down, they seem high across the whole range, starting around 50% at idle anyway.

I left the hood open most of the afternoon and had a beer while doing some gardening. I left the beer in the garage on my desk beside the engine bay so that I look at this every time I came in for a swig:

Even if I only imagined the performance improvement, the beauty of these clean fresh lines makes me happy every time I look at them.

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
Reusing those 90 degree clips was a bear for me I just spent about an hour getting them free from the hose without damage. They look like they were glued onto my hoses. She did fire right up after, been fighting an air leak somewhere and you inspired me to change the lines out. Thanks for posting.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
My rear bumper was not as tight as it used to be, there were big gaps around the the tail lights and the body, so I decided to investigate:

I found the problem right away, the sacrificial plastic brackets on either side were broken:

I could order new ones, but instead I decided to get creative with zip-ties:

and pieces of Meccano:

I also straightened the metal support bracket and added screws at the corners were there used to be plastic tabs:

Finally, before installing the tail lights, I added a 3/16th inch rivet on each side while leaning on the bumper to make it tight:

I put the tail lights back in and am very pleased with the results:

It was a late night in the garage but it was worth it. This repair should outlast the car. Finally the whole of the exterior looks neat and tidy, not that anyone but me will notice any difference.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
And to think you wanted to just park this car, now look at all the fun you would have missed out on. Keep up the good work:)

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
My latest "winter front" idea: mudflaps and rivets!

Cleaned my winter wheels with a "magic eraser". Not sure if it eats into the clear coat and don't really care because these wheels were $25 each.

Before:

After:

Haven't driven the van in two weeks. :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Oh, didn't know there was a Moscow and Paris in the states, I thought the race went from Russia to France :eek:

Sound like fun, no match for the Narfmobile

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
583,000 km Update and Confessions.

We survived the LeMONS Rally, but there were three issues:

Problem 1: ABS trouble light lit

This came on the day before the rally and I was too busy packing to check it. I figured I would check it on the road but I never had time. I didn't really care because I figured none of the other cars would have ABS so why should I worry? Once I got back I checked with VCDS and it was the same old "intermittent connection to the ABS controller" or whatever so the fix was easy:

Solution 1: Re-seat fuses and connector again.

Problem 2: Injector seal to combustion chamber

Before I left on my trip I knew one of the injectors was not sealing properly, again, causing an exhaust leak noise from the engine compartment only when under heavy load and at lower RPMs. The leak was probably there at higher RPMs too but harder to hear.

So I only used half throttle the whole trip, carefully avoiding that horrible puttering noise that seemed to happen only above 12 PSI of boost. The whole time I hoped the injector would "seal with soot" as I have read that can happen, but instead, the "leak" got worse and I could get away with less and less throttle before the noise would come on louder than ever. On the way home I had to keep it under 10 PSI.

A few days after I got home I was really to start pulling injectors and changing seals but instead I decided to check the hold down bolts. Sure enough, half of them were loose. I went for a test drive and the noise was gone! Its been a few weeks and it hasn't come back.

I have to admit I did not use a torque wrench on the injector hold down bolts. I was afraid of over torquing so I just snugged them by hand. I was especially afraid of over torquing them before my long trip. Living and learning. At least this was an easy one.

Solution 2: Tighten injector hold down bolts.

Random "Seniors Crossing" sign:

Problem 3: Diesel fuel leaks.

I have a confession to make: ever since changing injector nozzles my fuel line nuts have been "wet" with fuel. I've tried loosening and cleaning and tightening but I always have wet nuts. There is no way I am spending hundreds of dollars for new injector lines so I have been just living with it.

The injection pump has been "damp" underneath for five years now also but I've been ignoring that too.

Recently things got much worse: at stop lights you could see what looked like steam, but was actually vaporized diesel fuel, leaving the engine compartment. There were significant ammounts of fuel and oil dripping out from the edges of the lower engine cover. I figured the injection pump seals finally needed to be replaced so I parked the car for two weeks to think about it.

A few days ago the weather warmed up so I pressure washed the engine bay in preparation for the injection pump seal replacement. I gave the pump extra attention with the fan nozzle of the washer.

Immediately after washing it, I started the engine I found fuel spritzing out from behind one of the fuel line nuts. Eureka. I grabbed a 17mm wrench and tightened it and it immediately stopped. I have driven for about a week and 800 km and there is no more steaming engine compartment and no more drips! I still have wet nuts but I can live with that.

I will continue to procrastinate on replacing the pump seals.

Solution 3: Loose fuel line nut.

So I didn't have to spend any money because my problems mostly self inflicted. Neat!

The car is running great, it sounds fantastic too!

There was a light dusting of snow on the driveway today so I celebrated with a nearly perfect full-driveway hand-brake drift with three transitions and two doughnuts.

Close enough.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Sounds like you had a great time on the LeMons Rally. Good thing you only had minor issues with the car and could keep going on the rally and then make the trip home.

How many km/miles did you end up putting on the car during your trip?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
How many km/miles did you end up putting on the car during your trip?
Hi Eric! It was over 5000 km / 3000 miles.

I was debating on putting a couple of thousand more km on the odometer and attend the Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise this spring but...

My wife's grandparents (who live with us) have health concerns that just got way more "complicated" and I don't be far from home for the next three to six months.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Hi Eric! It was over 5000 km / 3000 miles.

I was debating on putting a couple of thousand more km on the odometer and attend the Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise this spring but...

My wife's grandparents (who live with us) have health concerns that just got way more "complicated" and I don't be far from home for the next three to six months.
It would be great if you were able to make it, but it's completely understandable that you have to stay home and take care of the wife's grandparents to make sure she'll still allow you to participate in The Lemons Rally and make the trip to Sturgeon Bay for my gtgs.:D

Not sure if you watched it yet, but here's the Roadkill episode from The Lemons Rally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpyQwy6uuK4

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Minor Setback: Blown Turbo

Its been a couple of weeks and I guess I should mention I blew the turbo:

I was accelerating hard onto the freeway when there was a soft bang, more like a thump, from under the hood and I lost power but was still able to cruise. When I shifted from fourth to fifth gear the engine tried to run away on me until I let the clutch out. It held in fifth gear until the next exit. Just before the off ramp I noticed the huge cloud of grey smoke streaming behind the car. Somehow I managed to limp to a nearby parking lot without over-revving the engine.

In the parking lot I opened the hood and found the turbo inlet hose had blown off. That was weird I thought, but it gave me the opportunity to stick my finger inside and check for play in the shaft. I found pieces of metal rolling around.

Later that night I took a closer look under the hood and found the compressor housing of the turbo had blown clean off and the impeller was mostly missing. It must have contacted the side at full speed/boost and exploded. The only thing keeping the compressor housing from falling off the car was the outlet hose to the intercooler. Sorry, no fresh carnage pictures, but here are the broken bits extracted, cleaned and neatly arranged on a beige background:

Anyway, I gutted the exhaust manifold of all moving parts, put it back on the car, and started a new thread:

ALH Turbo Delete: Daily Driving a Naturally Aspirated 2001 Golf ...

There you can find updates specific to that adventure but otherwise I am still driving the car every day and will post back here if any other interesting repairs, modifications or milestones happen.

Also, we just passed 597,000 km!

Good times.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Roadkill Nights 2017 Road Trip; No Turbo, No Worries!

Updates:

- The turbo delete has worked out way beyond my expectations and I can continue to rack up hundreds of miles of smiles every week without worries!

- My wife's grandmother passed away. Hazel was diagnosed with aggressive brain tumors this spring. She had a short battle with the cancer, in our home, surrounded by family. Hazel always encouraged us to pursue whatever work or activity made us happy and whole and that is why she helped to sew the giant lemons for the LeMONs rally. Now that Hazel is at rest, I know that she would want me to get back out on the road where I love to be. So...

Roadkill Nights in Pontiac Michigan seemed like a perfect getaway for a day:

This year I got to sit in my favorite vehicle in the whole wide world. Stubby Bob:

The reason I love Stubby Bob is because the build was all about doing what you want to do and proving that it will work despite what other people think. In one word: vindication.

I also love General Mayhem:

What I really like about this show, and any show, is the show n' shine parking! Why not park right in the middle of the show and have everyone walk past your car for a laugh!

I parked half way between the "Free Viper and Hellcat Thrill Rides" and the drag strip. I think this was actually where the Viper club was supposed to park, but I showed up five hours late for the show and shine and all of the chalk had washed off of the black boards in the rain. Nobody seem to be directing parking so this seemed like a perfect spot:

There must have been a thousand people in the line up for the thrill rides all day long:

From my parking spot, at the end of the line for the thrill rides, I could see the grand stands and the jumbo-tron screen for the drag strip!

I walked over and caught some drag racing, including the first race between Freiburger in his Superbee and Finnegan in Blasphemi:

0:27

Freiburger Superbee vs Finnegan Blasphemi
by NarfBLAST

And I got up close to some other Roadkill Project Cars:

On the way home I snapped a picture of my top speed with zero boost, 130km/h:

Otherwise the Volkswagen performed flawlessly, always keeping up with traffic, a pleasure to drive at lower speeds, and solid and comfortable as always at highway speeds.

I got home just after 11pm after driving almost 700 km the fuel guage was indicating just under half a tank left.

Good times.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
NARF you are my hero, I love reading your posts. I also happen to have family in Toronto so when I come up there again I am totally looking for you and your golf. Peace brother.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
NARF you are my hero, I love reading your posts. I also happen to have family in Toronto so when I come up there again I am totally looking for you and your golf. Peace brother.
Thanks! Most days you can spot me on Highway 6 and the 403 and QEW between Waterdown and Burlington. The Golf is always busy taking the four kids and their great grandpa places. If you do the math that is actually six of us, which would not fit. That is why we have the Honda Odyssey - for days when all six (or seven if Mrs. Narfblast is home) need to go some place at the same time. I always secretly scheme and plan if possible to get the passenger plus driver count down to five so we can take the Volkswagen.

This week Mrs. Narfblast is away at summer camp with the two oldest. So its just me and Great Grandpa and the 3 year old and the 6 year old in the Volkswagen. The odometer is over 599,900 so I'm guessing tommorow there will be a new milestone with a commemorative europlate and video posted. Plans are to do a Costco run and take great grandpa to the pacemaker clinic at the new Oakville hospital which should put us very close to the 600,000 mark by tommorow night.

Good Times.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Narf, great posts and looks like you had a blast. ;):cool:

(You really ought to get that check engine light out....maybe some black paint over the plastic cluster lens?)

I love your Golf!!:D