2007 Golf TDI 105 DPF

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Here's our new Golf, the mk4 is sold after almost 8 years of trouble-free service.
When we bought it:

Changed the 18" wheels to a set of 16" Bioline, look better IMO:

Today I repaired the mess that someone had made, mounting the plug for the coolant heater through a grille vent. It was broken and the connector was hanging out :rolleyes:
Didn't take a before picture but this is after melting the large splits:

Found a piece of plastic in the garage, after heating with a cigarette lighter is looks like it would fit:

Getting there:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I made a special tool for adjusting the parking brake:

No need to remove or cut a hole in the center console, just the panel at the rear and some screws. Then you can lift the console a bit, enough to slip the special tool in there and adjust the cables. Or replace them. I jammed some tools between the floor and console so I didn't have to lift it all the time. Works great!

All this can be left in:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Nice photos :)

I agree, it looks better on your 16" wheels. The 18" looked tacky.

Good job with your preheater plug.

I had a 1.9 105 but without the DPF, was a fantastically reliable car.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
16" is the best compromice IMO.
Consistently getting 1000km + tanks, really happy with the fuel economy of this car! That picture is a few weeks old, we don't have those temps at daytime now. Still cold at nights though.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Nice car.
My previous Mk5 Golf had same colour seats, really loved them! However, the door trim material was grey and not blue as in yours.

Getting 1000+ km per tank?
What's you average speed and trip distance?

I'm not able to beat 870-880 km per tank on my 1.6 TDI-CR with the same 77 kilowatts. And I'm getting those ~870 km under almost ideal conditions. However, my trip is around 8 km and my foot sometimes gets heavy. Almost only city driving, average speed is ~33 km/h.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I like the interiour colour too, it's very nice!
I don't know the average speed, probably around 60km/h. We live in the countryside with 15km on rural roads to town, so it's mostly highway driving at 90-100km/h.
We've been getting 1000km tanks with studded winter tires, but during the winter it varies more. I think the worst tank so far is 5.6l/100km.

We have 205/55-16 Hankook eco-something on the summer tires and they are very good on fuel, big difference to the 18" wheels we had on the car when we bought it.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, so 15 km highway driving might explain all of this.
When the temperature is +4 *C or lower, the electric aux heater which is 1000W in power kills my fuel economy even more. You can't switch it off - it is controlled by the ECU (this thing is on CR engines only, PDs had a bit different style heater). If the cabin fan is on, the heater is working too until the coolant reaches 75 *C.

You do know that with "eco" tyres you have much worse grip, especially on wet surfaces, right? Braking distance is also increased...

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the electric heater different on PD's? We certainly have a heater in there, almost instant heat even during cold days.

Yes, I guess the eco tires are pretty hard, good for fuel but not much else. Didn't actually look at the tires when I swapped with the 18's.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The element itself is also rated for 1000W.
However, in PDs in order to activate it you need to press the ECON button in winter. The LED on the ECON button should NOT be lit - it means the heater is on. You even can see the lights dim and engine noise change slightly. The heater has got its own control module - the "brain". It manages the heater power output, reduces power if alternator load is too high, etc.

In summer the ECON button is responsible for A/C.

In Mk6 and CR engines, there is no more ECON button. The heater element is dumb - it does not have any brains. Instead it is being controlled by two relays (low heat and high heat), which are being controlled by the ECU.

What is annoying, when you take off with a clutch (low engine RPMs), the relays click back (release). After about 10 seconds or so the ECU tries to switch them back on. Looks funny when you're stuck in traffic jam :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that the salt season is gone I did a bit of cleaning and detailing, looks pretty good from a few feets distance.

Last edited:

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Broke a spring earlier this week so I placed an order on Sachs SuperTouring struts, mounts and springs.
I think they will arrive on monday so I started to remove the old stuff today, I hope I don't get the wrong parts :eek:
I decided to test if the strut could be taken off without removing the axle and ball joint and it was possible indeed.
I placed a floor jack and a pipe underneath the spring pearch and lifted it a little bit, this way the strut did not move downward when I hit the spindle with a mallet.
Worked pretty well but I think it's easier to at least undo the ball joint from the LCA. But I had to try it :D

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
I tried another trick on the LH strut, the same pipe/jack set up under the spring pearch as on the other side but instead of the mallet I used another pipe and a block of wood to push down the spindle.
Worked very well, took 2 tries to get the strut off! The pinch bolt and drop link are the only things I removed.
We'll see how I go about getting the new struts in, I don't expekt to be able to just slide them in...

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Lower? If anything a little higher would be better than lower on our roads :D

Installed it all today, the hardest part was getting the dust boot to stay on, ended putting a tie strap on it :rolleyes:
I did not undo the ball joint, didn't remove anything other than the bolts on the strut. And the drop link of course.

Ride height is maybe a little bit higher than before, not much but probably as could be expected with new vs old springs.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Super Touring does sound like a lower than stock setup but it is only the shocks that are named ST.
Today I replaced the stock RCD300 with a chinese RNS510 clone, it does "feel" better than expected, it'll be interesting to see how it works in the weeks to come.
It was a very easy installation, plug and play. It boots very quickly and the sound is much better than the stock HU.
I removed the carbon fibre vinyl wrap from the trim pieces whilst I had the off the car. Stock look is nicer, especially with the new stereo :)

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
So, the pictures got deleted due to Photobuckets new rules, I've deleted my account there. I'll probably fix at least some of them at some point.