2002 Golf

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Haven't been a member here for too long, but am already on my second TDI. Originally picked up a 1999.5 Jetta (330km) back in February, after doing some body work, and basic maintenance, I drove it for about 2 weeks until it suddenly stopped about 2 hours from home. Got it home, realized it was seized internally and a rebuild or swap was in my future. Weighed my options, and since I was only out $2K I wasn't prepared to invest another $1500 (can't do the swap myself) to do it right. Cut my losses, pulled the newer turbo, fuel pump, intercooler, oil pan, and other misc sensors - and the cat ($96!) - before scrapping the car for $200.

Here we are on the side of the highway, dog didn't seem to mind.

I then picked up this 2002 Golf with 253km. Car was in a lot better shape than the Jetta, and many modifications I had planned were already done. Timing belt kit done at 220km. Summers and winters on 16" alloys included. Set me back $4500. I am the third owner, picked it up in Toronto off a private seller who had all the modifications done to the car. He worked for VW and now works for Mini and was given a company car. Before him, it was owned by a female and unmolested since new.

Modifications when I bought it:

- Malone Stage 1.5 Tune
- DLC 1019s
- Southbend Stage 2 Daily Clutch
- Koni 1150 Series Coilovers
- Leather Interior
- Pioneer Double Din & Front Speakers
- GTI Taillights
- GTI Rear Valence

Things I have done since purchasing:

- Intake Cleaning & EGR Delete
- 3" KermaTDI Exhaust
- Retrofit Projector Headlights
- Replaced Driver's CV Shaft
- New Rear Hatch Actuator
- Air/Cabin/Fuel Filters
- T6 Oil Change
- Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
- BOSCH Icon Wipers

Things on my immediate list:

- Front Wheel Bearings - DONE
- Ball Joints - DONE
- Serpentine Belt Kit - DONE
- Raise the car up at least 1/2" (waiting on new rear spring perches, as these are missing the locking nuts) - DONE
- Add a sway bar (OEM or Whiteline depending on final ride height)
- Install 10 & 15mm spacers with bolts - DONE
- Install 24" Light bar in center grill - DONE
- Alignment
- Finish boost gauge install in driver's vent EDIT went with a $10 A Pillar mount. Painted to match...cheap and effective DONE
- Clear sidemarkers - DONE

Things to be done before Winter:

- Fix rust spot on roof near windshield and under rear wiper - 50% DONE
- Krown Oil Guard - DONE
- Install metal skid plate and plastic side skirts - will be all plastic shields for now
- Stage 3 Malone tune - DONE
- Color match valences in Spring 2017

Here you can see the roof rack and 32" light bar installed, decided against that. Sold the light bar, kept the roof rack and bought J hooks for my kayak but only going to install when needed. Didn't like the drop in fuel economy - hence the (tinted) 24" bar in the bottom grill instead.

Driver's side CV shaft blew up on me. Was luckily about 500 meters from my driveway at the time. Was taking a hard right turn. Also part of the reason I'm raising the car to a more tolerable height (not to mention the quality of our roads...)

EGR and intake seem like they've probably never been cleaned. Noticed better boost onset once cleaned, and less soot from the exhaust.

Anyway, certainly enjoying the car for now. Just trying to stay on top of maintenance and some possible upgrades! Picked up a new-in-box tow hitch off a local guy today, was a decent price.

Last edited:

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
That's a looker of a car from the rust belt with that much mileage on it. GREAT score.

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Well a bit of an update...

Finally got the hardware to fix my rear perches for the Koni coilovers. Koni wanted $100USD per perch, so I sourced the missing hardware myself for about $50CAD. The car now sits at 25" FTG, raised over an inch.

Repaired the rust under the rear window, and replaced washer fluid nozzle - although I really did enjoy having washer fluid spraying all over my interior. Not happy with how the clear coat blended on the left side of the hatch (I'm no pro), but it'll do for now. Inside I wire brushed, sealed, and painted with rust resistant primer, then coated with Oilguard product.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/user/tc09zc/media/IMG_3557_zpsjlfagqpn.jpg.html

Cleaned in behind the wheel well liners, and coated with Oilguard for the winter.

Installed Hella horns I had laying around.

Installed my retrofit projector headlights from Midwest Light Creations.

The key with a $30 light bar is to take it apart, and line it with clear silicone. They work great, but they all leak otherwise.

Let there be light.

Last edited:

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Frostheater installed. Had to modify my battery tray slightly, as the bracket was for 99.5-01 (picked up used - thanks Celco).

Still needing to be done... driver's CV shaft (again, cause low and Chinese part...but under warranty at least). Going to do new OEM engine mounts and poly dogmount while I'm at it. Full Oilguard scheduled for next week. Plastic side shields and undershield to be installed after that.

V-DubLuv

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
We are identical twins, love the car!

I wouldn't go over 65 durometer on the dog bone insterts, I installed 75 or 80 durometer a few years ago and it's literally rattling the car apart. Finally swapping it out this weekend and couldn't be more excited.

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
We are identical twins, love the car!

I wouldn't go over 65 durometer on the dog bone insterts, I installed 75 or 80 durometer a few years ago and it's literally rattling the car apart. Finally swapping it out this weekend and couldn't be more excited.
Thanks for the advice V-Dub. I'm going with the Energy Suspension inserts, they're rated at 70, and only cost $19. Hopefully that along and with all OEM mounts otherwise won't rattle the car apart haha.

By the way, how is the RSB? I still need to install even an OEM FSB, as PO removed it.

Last edited:

V-DubLuv

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Tdi
The rear sway bar is one of my favorite mods so far. I run the rear bar on the stiffest setting with no front sway bar and it gives the car lots of turn-in when cornering. Some report that it causes too much over steer and can cause problems when driving while wet but I find that the car still pushes slightly and is very predictable. I would definitely recommend.

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Took apart my front passenger suspension yesterday in an attempt to figure out a clunk I've been having. Hoping it was the strut bearing or control arm bushing, but it turns out it is the strut itself. Contacted previous owner in an attempt to get the receipt, see if I can get the Koni warranty (doubt it). Otherwise a new coilover through Koni is $375USD. May consider a rebuild, but most likely will go another route. Since I don't really need the adaptability of the coilovers, I think I'll go ahead and do a full refresh. Looking at Neuspeed Sport springs with Bilstein TC Sport struts for about $500USD. To be continued...

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Suspension refresh will likely be held off until Spring, if I can put up with the clunking on the passenger side for a few months.

Stage 3 Malone tune has been loaded, and it is awesome. Now getting an advertised 134whp/235wtq and won't be going Stage 4.

Installed a 70 durometer dogbone bushings at the same time. Only installed the rear 2 larger bushings, left the front one OEM. Man did it cause interior vibrations for the first few days. Going on day 5 now and the vibrations are reduced by about 70%. Still have noticeable vibration at idle, but the worst is feathering into 1st gear from a stop. Otherwise, the improvement in shifting is definitely noticeable. Hopefully the bushings continue to break in a bit more.

Edit: After putting over 1000kms on the poly dogbone bushings, its almost like OEM with respect to rattles. Only time its noticeable is starting in first from a stand still when stopped uphill. Very minor vibrations on cold start... mostly my keys rattling while hanging from the ignition.

Last edited:

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Well I haven't updated in a while, so I figured I'd post some recent pictures. Here is winter mode, with 16" snow tires installed. Coilovers have been raised to a drivable height, about 25" FTG all around.

Got a little dirty on some back roads

Recent maintenance included an oil change, coolant temp sensor replaced, and downpipe exhaust hanger bracket replaced as the old one cracked in half.

I also picked up a Neuspeed 28mm adjustable RSB for $80. It was in rough shape, but came with all necessary hardware. I'm cleaning it up with a flap wheel, having it powdercoated and replacing the necessary hardware before installing it this spring along with a whole new suspension. Will update with finished photos when the time comes. Also installing a used ($10) OEM FSB with new poly bushings.

Rear sway bar - $80
Red powdercoating - $60
New adjustable endlinks - $65
New 28mm Poly bushings - $25
New bolts ~ $10
Neuspeed decal - $5
$250 vs $420 +tax brand new... not bad!

Suspension parts ordered: Neuspeed Sport springs (local pick up off fellow TDI friend - $100) & Bilstein TC Sport struts. Can't beat the price, and I've got a few friends with this set up who have been happy with the ride. New strut mounts, strut bearings, spring seats, dust boots, and sport bump stops as well.

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Nice looking car with lots of subtle mods.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Did you get the fog lights to work in the projector headlights from Midwest Light Creations?

I installed identical headlights from same vendor and also installed correct switch with fog light position on a friend's 2001 US spec Cabrio only to find out that the factory harness does not have wiring for fog lights.

Interested to find out if there is a reasonably easy way to get the fog lights to work.

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
No, I have not wired the fog lights to work. I do have the euro switch, the fog light wiring kit and some H3 bulbs sitting around. Just haven't gotten around to the wiring as electrical isn't my strength. I contacted Jeff to ask how they should be installed, here is his response:

"I'm not sure how this can be done on this setup. If you look at the fog light you'll see a ground wire that connects to the bulb plate itself. You'd want to disconnect that and put your black wire from your bulb to that one. The red wire from your bulb will go to the white wire in the headlight.

Note that on these lights a lot of the wiring for the various circuits share grounds. If my memory serves me correctly the fog light and the high beam bulb share a ground wire. If there is too much current you could have issues with not enough ground. Also know that I have no idea about running a HID in the fog projectors, so that is at your own risk. I have no reason to think there would be a problem, but again...I have no exp. putting a HID bulb there.
Lastly, you are going to want to be very careful with the clip that holds the bulb in. The clip plate itself is pretty fragile. If it comes undone, buy yourself a tube of epoxy putty and putty it back into place. The problem is that the metal on the clip plate is pretty weak. Also, for the clip itself, you want to consider making one out of a paper clip or something. The clip that is on there I think is too deep and difficult to get the clips to attach. I often find myself bending them to make them retain the bulb without having to use tremendous pressure to get them into place."

I may end up wiring some fog lights in the lower side grills, possible some LED pods. Just not motivated until some warmer weather comes around!

Wiring kit:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/fog-light-wiring-harness-for-oe-fogs/1jo998000/

Available cheaper on other sites.

Last edited: