added another TDI to the family

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We had a customer stop in to pick up parts the other day who has 573K on his '01 Jetta Sedan. 200K is nothing!

Darkhrse99

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Damn that's good, mine just turned 273k and i just upgraded the turbo and put in nozzles. I hope I can get another 250k out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hummelmike

TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2000 Golf tdi
Golf looks great any way to contact if I need help on mine? Live in lake Hillsboro now with a all the flooding. Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It took longer than I planned, as I have been splitting some of the daily driving up among a handful of dubs, including a NOx spewing 2010 Jetta ;)

Golf was getting jealous, methinks.

Now on to its 500k service... don't get to say that often, LOL! :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
We did the 300K service on my son's Golf a couple weeks ago. Don't get to do that one often, either. My other son is a slacker, only at 204K.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulation! So, any details you want to share?

oilhammer

TDI
Congratulation! So, any details you want to share?

Not much to add, been a pretty good car since the Great Untooefing when I got it at 383k. Only things it has needed since then is normal scheduled PM, an injection pump top seal, a window regulator, another set of tires, and a few bulbs. It is a pretty boring car, really, LOL. Boring in that it just goes and goes. I have to put a reminder on my phone to go off every two weeks to check the oil, I run 20k interval on it. It uses a little, not much considering.

Still starts/runs/drives good. Surprisingly tight inside, especially considering I put GTI springs and Billy HDs on it shortly after I got it, so it rides pretty stiff. Little bit of a smokey start cold, but it always starts. 45-50 MPG tank after tank. I run it hard, I hit triple digit speeds almost daily, light to moderate towing here and there. Always lugging a trunk full of scrap home from the shop.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Have had this car for a decade this month. 557k miles, still continues to do what I need it to do. Since my son's favorite pastime seems to be going for rides, it gets a lot of use along with the '99.5 Golf. We often go for ~250 mile non stop day trips on the weekends.

I did get rear ended last year, had it pulled back straight... bumper cover still slightly tweaked but the clearcoat has long since left. Actually, the car is beginning to look like the Space Shuttle after re-entry. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
10 years? Really? I remember talking to the PO and steering him to you. Hard to believe it's been that long.

When I bought my son his '02 Golf 5 years ago the PO thought the car was at the end of its life at 265K miles. Or at least he didn't think it was worth maintaining. It just rolled over 380K and is going strong. MKIVs ALHs truly are amazing.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow! Truly amazing! Made me wish I never sold my 2003 ALH Wagon 5 speed with 158k miles. She was a cherry. Had to sell her a month ago for hospital bill. :( she is all stock. Fun car!

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, they are. I have three Golfs now... this 2000, another 2000 currently being untooefed, and my Jazz Blue 1999.5 that is slowly being improved upon.

I kind of split the driving between this one and the '99.5, but this one I drive a lot more.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Amazing! I haven’t seen any 99-00 Golf TDI here at all. They are hard to find in Florida. So I opted for Wagon. Now I don’t see them for sale anymore. LOL

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have my '99.5, of course IBW, and my sons both have '02s, Jetta Sedan and the Golf. My son's sedan is pretty tired cosmetically. I'm looking for a clean, rust-free 2.slow wagon and want to swap his drivetrain into it. My son with the Golf says he'd be content to drive MKIVs indefinitely. I guess I am, too.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Theres one flat black 2003 wagon for $5700
With info copied and pasted..... not sure if this is reasonably priced.... (sorry to hijack) but this has tons of tasteful mods. I found several ALH Golf TDI’s but rough or abused etc.

2003 Jetta Wagon TDI (ALH engine) 6 speed manual. Yes! It is a 6 speed! Runs and drives fantastic. Too much cool stuff to list everything so here is the highlights:
R32 airbox and snorkel, PD150 TIP and intake mani, Darkside intercooler, Borq Warner S-7 turbo (comparable to the 17/22) .260 injectors (professionally balanced), 11 mm injection pump, Colt stage 2 cam, 3” SS exhaust, Malone custom tune, 20th AE brakes, 312 mm fronts 256 mm vented rears with ceramic pads, Audi TT suspension, Southbend stage 2 endurance clutch and SMF, short shift kit.
Interior out of a 20th AE GTI. Headliner and all pillars have been redone.
6 speed trans code DRW . This is a long gear ratio so at 70 MPH you are at about 2k RPM. Very nice on the interstate. Double din headunit with backup camera, BT, Sirius etc.
164k showing on the clock, most of this work to include full timing belt kit done about 10k miles ago.
Bad stuff: Paint is OK, it’s a satin black but there are some runs and blemishes and the roof is slightly different black than the rest of the car. Drivers seat is worn and has a broken bolster. Rear window is not tinted and the front tires are getting low on tread. Rear door latches are a little glitchy

I drove it to Dallas, Minnesota and Miami all on different trips and wouldn’t hesitate to take it cross country.
Got a couple of new project cars and my son is now driving so I don’t have to do soccer carpool anymore.

Call, text or email. I can’t use my phone at work so I might not respond until after 4pm on weekdays but I will get back to you as soon as I’m home. Read Less

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Right now I'm talking with a seller that has a clean '05 GLS Wagon, 2.slow, automatic, 160K. Parked it 7 months ago and now can't get it started. Southern car, rust free, good paint, no accidents. Asking is $1K and no one's interested. That's a good swap candidate, I think.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, except that technically it is not legal to put an ALH in a car newer than a 2003. So you may want to check for any registration hurdles you may have.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Florida has no emission laws and such. No inspection so it will be “legal” here. The wagon i posted above was former auto based on the instrument cluster having automatic gear indicator. Dunno on the price tho. I cant wrench much due to bad back and neck from rear end accident in my old 2011 JSW TDI with almost 300k miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yep, except that technically it is not legal to put an ALH in a car newer than a 2003. So you may want to check for any registration hurdles you may have.
Thought of that. I doubt anyone in MA will notice. Since I'd be writing a new title here I'd just have my agent put diesel in the fuel section.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like you are set. Good luck on that project :)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulation! That’s really good to hear!

I just took my ‘05 on an 8300 mile drive-about. First, down to New Orleans, then out to San Diego, up to Big Sur, then out to Death Valley (where I cracked my oil pan with a rock I never saw!), caught it, repaired it, then on to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Sonoma, Memphis, Asheville, Raleigh, then back home!

Best tank: 800
Out west, going 95 all morning, 36 mpg
This car will last me until I get a Model Y in 2025!

oilhammer

TDI
570k miles as of last week, and it turns out that is the magic number for outer CV joint life. Starting making a noise rather suddenly, took it apart and found it pretty dried out, with a TINY little split in the boot that must've let some water in because it had some rust inside.

Replaced both outer joints with new GKN units, repacked the inners and flipped them again, back on the road. First time I have had to lay a wrench on this car in a couple years. :p

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
It just amazes me how durable these ALH cars are. I thought the 400K I had on mine was a lot.

I don't think my mk7 will go that far without some serious issues.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
It just amazes me how durable these ALH cars are. I thought the 400K I had on mine was a lot.

I don't think my mk7 will go that far without some serious issues.

Actually.... there are several MK6’s chugging at 600k plus. My old 2011 JSW ran flawlessly at 300k miles with original turbo on stage 2 malone tune with CP3 and got rear ended.... off she went to the buyback program and gone to car heaven.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Wow, that's amazing! I wonder how the emissions stuff holds up over the years? That's my big concern, as well as the HPFP.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep...bittersweet, since this will be the last visual milestone for the odometer... but the ECU is still original, so it is still happily counting along.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I know. What kind of auto owner worries about the odometer stopping at 1M Km? I do. Although I think I've got 6-8 years before I get there.