VSS signal to ecu

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Can anyone tell me what signal the ECU looks for from the VSS? I'm really wanting to get the speedo working in my willys. I'm using the stock 2000 Beetle cluster so I'll need to track down the ecu wires to the VSS then figure out how to send the proper signal. I'm in the very beginning stages of this little project and I'd like some pointers and ideas if anybody has one. All the info I'm finding is for just getting cruise to work, not the speedo.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
it looks for a pulsed conditioned signal ...EDIT! 8000 ppm....lots of ways to get a signal to your cluster but the easiest may be simply adapting a stock mkiv vss to your transmissions speedo drive then stepping the signal down with a dakota adapter until your speedo agrees with your true road speed ... another way is to add an abs reluctor and sensor to one wheel and again using a dakota converter .... or even magnets ziptied to the driveshaft with a simple two wire pickup sending pulsed waves to a converter ... you could gut a stock sender and have it in proximity to spinning mags on a driveshaft or axle flange ... using the correct number of magnets could eliminate the need for a converter box ...

Last edited:

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
No dice. The drive train I have is all mechanical. No electrical signal to adapt unfortunately. This is definitely gonna have to be a homegrown diy project.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
So, are you looking for the circuit(s) that send the info to the ECU?

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
So, are you looking for the circuit(s) that send the info to the ECU?
I can look up the wiring on my alldata. I'm trying to figure out the signal sent from the vss to the ECU. Particularly how many pulses per mile. With that info I can make a hall effect sensor send a reasonably close signal. Assuming the oe vss was hall effect.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
No dice. The drive train I have is all mechanical. No electrical signal to adapt unfortunately. This is definitely gonna have to be a homegrown diy project.
which is why i suggested using a stock vw vss adapted to your transmissions speedo drive.... as a matter of fact all my suggestions took that into consideration ... no dice? :confused:

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I can look up the wiring on my alldata. I'm trying to figure out the signal sent from the vss to the ECU. Particularly how many pulses per mile. With that info I can make a hall effect sensor send a reasonably close signal. Assuming the oe vss was hall effect.
oem vss is NOT a hall effect it's a conditioned square wave (read my first post above) pulses per mile (ppm)= 8k to a ...white/blue wire, don't know what pin as my notes are at the shop ;)

Last edited:

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
oem vss is NOT a hall effect it's a conditioned square wave (read my first post above) pulses per mile (ppm)= 8k to a ...white/blue wire, don't know what pin as my notes are at the shop ;)
Aaah, well that makes more sense then. The Jeep vss is a gear reduction unit that would spin a cable. I need to get a VW vss in my hands and see what I could do to adapt it then. What triggered the pulses? Just a magnet or notches in a shaft? Wish I still had the vw Trans to dig into.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
OK i stand corrected on the hall sensor... I was confusing it with an inductive pickup which outputs sine wave ....rooney, if you need a vw vss I have plenty laying around from auto to manual swaps ...yours free for the asking

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
OK i stand corrected on the hall sensor... I was confusing it with an inductive pickup which outputs sine wave ....rooney, if you need a vw vss I have plenty laying around from auto to manual swaps ...yours free for the asking
I'd be more than happy to take a manual vss off your hands. I'll shoot you a pm. Thanks a ton.

vwjoel

TDI
BHW in '89 TriStar & BEW in '05 Golf
So how many pulses per mile are you running? I have a 5 magnet disc on my CV joint with a hall sensor for my ALH in an 86 double cab. I got a VSS code in VCDS so I went to 1 magnet and I still have the code. I'm trying to get the cruise to work but I am not running a Mk IV cluster like Rooney. Do I even need a valid VSS for cruise?

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I now have a working speedometer! I used the stock YJ VSS in my dana 300 transfer case. It's not accurate but that will take some fine tuning. It's accurate in 4th gear at idle but at 2500 rpm the vehicle seems to think I'm doing 90mph. I think with the vcds adjustment and a regear at the vss I'll be much better off. Thanks for all the information and help. :D

So how many pulses per mile are you running? I have a 5 magnet disc on my CV joint with a hall sensor for my ALH in an 86 double cab. I got a VSS code in VCDS so I went to 1 magnet and I still have the code. I'm trying to get the cruise to work but I am not running a Mk IV cluster like Rooney. Do I even need a valid VSS for cruise?
8000 ppm is what the ECU wants and what the Jeep VSS sends. As for your situation, you'll need to figure out how many revolutions per mile your driveshaft makes then use that to determine how many magnets you need. Basically each magnet equals a pulse. So if your driveshaft spins 2000 times per mile you need four magnets to make the 8000 pulses per mile the ECU wants. And yes, you need a VSS for cruise, or a way to fake it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
you can use your tach signal like i did in my truck swap

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
So as I said I tested the vss last night. I’m using a VSS for a 99-ish Jeep wrangler (should be 8000ppm). I had the rear driveshaft off and the front output disengaged. I put the jeep in 4th gear and revved it up to 2500 rpm. According to my calculations that should put me at 63-65 mph. The speedometer read 90 mph. The odd part is that when it was in 4th gear and idling the speedometer read approximately 25mph, which is about where it should be (903 rpms). So what would cause the drastic differential when rpms increase? I’m starting to think I have a separate issue beyond a simple incorrect driven gear in the VSS.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
So as I said I tested the vss last night. I’m using a VSS for a 99-ish Jeep wrangler (should be 8000ppm). I had the rear driveshaft off and the front output disengaged. I put the jeep in 4th gear and revved it up to 2500 rpm. According to my calculations that should put me at 63-65 mph. The speedometer read 90 mph. The odd part is that when it was in 4th gear and idling the speedometer read approximately 25mph, which is about where it should be (903 rpms). So what would cause the drastic differential when rpms increase? I’m starting to think I have a separate issue beyond a simple incorrect driven gear in the VSS.
8000 ppm may be incorrect for the VW mkiv... I'm going by a cruise control guide that lists the 96' vw's as 8000ppm... maybe they are lower now?

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
8000 ppm may be incorrect for the VW mkiv... I'm going by a cruise control guide that lists the 96' vw's as 8000ppm... maybe they are lower now?
From what I've been able to find, they are 8k ppm until the mkv. The mkv used a reluctor ring on the hub. It did both abs and vss. That's assuming I understood it all correctly. Wouldn't be the first time I completely misunderstood though.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I found this that suggest the ppm is 1600. Can anyone tell me the actual PPM of a 2000 Beetle VSS?