Engine Replacement Recommended for my 2002 Jetta

mazapaz

TDI
2002 Jetta
My 2002 Jetta worked great for about 8 years in Arizona. After it was shipped to MA a few months ago, I noticed that it was a bit harder to start. It would always start, but I had to keep the key turned longer than usual. The fuel economy also dropped with the move. I attributed this to MA selling lower quality diesel than the D2 I could get in AZ. When I tried to start it a few days ago, it would not start and the oil pressure light would start flashing with a beeping noise. The oil level was within acceptable range. I noticed that the trip odometer and clock had been reset, but the radio stations were still programed in. I had the car towed to the dealer, who told me that there was no compression in any of the cylinders. The timing looked good and the battery was fine. The technician could not say what was causing the problem but recommended replacing the engine, as it could turn out to be cheaper than finding and fixing the root cause.

The only issue before this was the check engine light indicating a sporadic glow plug issue. I checked them out over a year ago (as outlined by another member) and they were all fine, so I never took this light seriously. The same dealer looked at the error code and didn't see a problem. They did eventually replace a wire. They cleaned out the EGR (for about $600), saying that was the reason the car had problems starting.

Here are my questions:

1 - Is replacing the engine the most viable solution? I.e. What could be the real root cause? The estimated cost for a new engine is $6000. (A used would be $7000 for some reason). The car is worth between $3000 and $6000. I don't know that it makes economic sense, especially since there might be another problem with the electrical system or some other, currently unknown problem.

2 - Could I have done anything to cause this? I changed the oil every 5000 miles with Mobile 1 10W-30. I never got around to changing the fuel filter or anything else. The last scheduled maintenance I did was at 50,000 miles (before the warranty expired).

Vehicle Specs:
2002 Jetta
Manual transmission
115K miles

Thanks!

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So, what the technician said was "gee, I dunno what's wrong...lets buy a new engine"?

Take your car to some that knows what they are doing....the thread that Bob posted is an excellent resource.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Lots of oddities here.
Stealership says there is NO compression in any of the cylinders?? and the timing "looked good"?? Bunch of bull in there somewhere.
You had it shipped. Someone had access to driving/flogging it during this time??
"Technician" recommends replacing the engine because they don't know whats wrong with it?? Run away from there!! Get it to the Guru guys ASAP even if it means a transport.
2002 w/115K miles and no real maintainance done since 50K. TB job done somewhere in there, or was it an experiment to see how far it would go?
If you truly have no compression in any cylinders and the TB is past due, I think its pretty much a given that the valves/lifters have had an unpleasant meeting with the piston face. If damage is limited to the top end you should be able to get by for under $1500.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Something sounds really strange about this post. I guess my very amateur opinion after reading your story is to tell you to sell the car, and don't buy another TDI. Instead, get a car that's friendlier to the lack of maintenance that you seem to favor. 65K with no maintenance?

Did the dealer do a compression test? If so, he would have numbers for you. If the engine is physically together and turns over, with a timing belt in place, you will not have zero compression. It sounds like he did not do a compression test, and just suspects you have bad compression. Or, more likely, you're not communicating what the service writer actually said. Is there anything written down? Did they say anything about your timing belt?

Good luck. Hopefully there's something reasonably easy to fix on this car that a good TDI mechanic can take care of for a new owner, and you can get a toyota!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
mazapaz said:
I changed the oil every 5000 miles with Mobile 1 10W-30. I never got around to changing the fuel filter or anything else. The last scheduled maintenance I did was at 50,000 miles (before the warranty expired).

Vehicle Specs:
2002 Jetta
Manual transmission
115K miles

Thanks!
You know that's wholly the wrong oil, and if no maint has been done since 50K miles (and it's now at 115K miles) the filters and a lot more are way overdue?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
We realize that Massachusetts is less than 10% the size of Arizona, but it's still a fairly large state... If you could narrow down your location a bit, perhaps we could recommend someone who knows something about these cars...

Yuri.

(PS: Arizona may be a bigger state, but there are probably more TDI experts in Massachusetts...)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Sounds to me like the stealership wants to sell an engine.:rolleyes:

No compression in any of the cylinders? That's almost impossible.

Time to find a guru and tell the stealership to keep their $5,000+ engine.:D

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
mazapaz said:
The only issue before this was the check engine light indicating a sporadic glow plug issue. I checked them out over a year ago (as outlined by another member) and they were all fine, so I never took this light seriously. The same dealer looked at the error code and didn't see a problem. They did eventually replace a wire. They cleaned out the EGR (for about $600), saying that was the reason the car had problems starting.
Anti-Shudder Valve (ASV) stuck in the closed position?

mazapaz

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to address as many points as possible:

The dealer didn't give me anything written, but he did say that the compression test resulted in a 3 in each cylinder, when the norm should be 19-ish. I am not sure what units he said.

As for maintenance, I did change out the air filter and top up the coolant over the life of the car. But, I was remiss in doing anything with the timing belt.

The car is in just north of Boston in the Somerville/Medford area. The closest shop from Bob's link is in Belmont.

When this happened, I checked the forum and saw a few articles about the ASV. That appears to be working fine.

After the car was shipped, I checked the odometer. It didn't look like anyone had driven it excessively. I don't recall having any real issues in Arizona, but maybe I just didn't notice.

Thanks again!

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I suspect the 19 refers to 19:1 normal compression ratio, where yours is apparently 3:1 which is far below any functional threshold. I find it very difficult to believe that this is a correct figure in all cylinders unless there is obvious catastrophic engine damage.