AC Compressor Reliable Brands

matiii1

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black
2000 Jetta TDI ac hasn’t been working right for awhile.Did the blend doors since foam has been coming out the vents for 2 years.Sometimes it cooled somewhat and other times not at all.Fans are on and clutch engaged.I tried RCV valve and noticed the old one had a blackish film and some small metal bits,not a lot but enough to be noticed.I put it together and vac system which held for an hour.I recharged and vent temp went to 34degrees.Turned all off and after unhooking gauges and turned on and air got less cool.Now air is warm.I believe my compressor is bad and there seems to be so many choices.Any recommended brands that are reliable.I think I need comp,Evac valve ,drier and condenser to do it right.Also when I took comp apart no oil was present.If the system never appeared to leak can the oil dry up over time causing problems.Pressures were around 30 low and high never went above 100 on an 80 degree humid day.Any ideas would be appreciated.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I recently went with a Santech compressor from Autozone. It came with the dryer, expansion valve, seals, and oil for $360. Brand new with a lifetime warranty. I know that a lot of folks here are not fans of buying things like this from Autozone, but if it fails then I can replace it for free anywhere in the country. It has been working fine so far.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Mrfiat, I've purchased a lot of parts from Autozone, both VW and my other vehicles, but far more for the other vehicles. For the most part, I've been satisfied. Yes, I've had to take back a few things because they failed, didn't fit, or didn't work properly from the get go. The thing I've found with their rebuilt stuff, if it is going to fail, it will fail almost immediately.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
avoid remans
stick with anything from a reputable store with a warrenty. OEM is usually best.
avoid eBay and other abscure part stores.

Pelican parts
German autoparts.com
ECS
IDparts
are probably your best bet

Are you doing your own AC work on it? if so you want to do a few steps before you charge.
Cleaning and purging the lines PROPERLY
Chaning all your o'rings
Drain the PAG oil from the compressor and measure in NEW, never trust NOBODY on this part
Make sure you purge with nitrogen while your hooking up a new dryer filter so there is no change any atmosphere can get into that.

thats just a few steps in a long list to keep your system right, otherwise no matter what brand you use, your system will fail within a short time. 134a systems as well as most systems are very picky with contaminants. You must do this and MUCH more to insure a system that will outlast just a few years.