Offer received - 9/18/15 - 6/28/16 purchase

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Guys...I was one of the original 'loop hole' finders and bought my car on 7/1/16 the day after I read through the settlement.

We have always expected between 50 and 100% restitution, and this news is fantastic.
Could someone who has been offered full restitution give more specific history on one of their cars that just got the offer? Meaning, did you buy it after 6/28 from the original owner, or were there other transfers of title throughout the lifetime?

My car was a 1 owner, that was turned into a Toyota dealer in May '16....so those folks would have been 'eligible sellers'. The dealer then sold it to me on 7/1/16 and lost his/her rights to the vehicle.

Just want to see if there are 100% restitution offers on cars with a similar situation as mine.
One of mine is also 100% restitution with a similar situation. VW dealer auctioned the car in May '16, used car dealer bought it and then the car had a series of mechanical issues, I bought it from them for less than $5k on June 29th.

Will be my best ROI of my entire fleet too! Over 200%!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
There are a number of post-6/28 buyers in this thread who don't appear to have updated (or entered) their information in the spreadsheet, as it's only showing two with offers.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I will try to add mine soon. Been busy and I would have had to create a reddit login I think so I quickly lost interest.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I will try to add mine soon. Been busy and I would have had to create a reddit login I think so I quickly lost interest.
No reddit login required. It is actually a Google spreadsheet, so if anything you would need a Google login, but I am not even sure if that is required.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
No login at all is required, and the username field is just something that you'll remember so you can update it later.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Question for all you guys saying you received a 100% offer,

Are you referring to the estimated buyback amount on the claims website, or an actual mailed purchase contract/offer for you to sign, notarize and mail in?

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
Could someone who has been offered full restitution give more specific history on one of their cars that just got the offer? Meaning, did you buy it after 6/28 from the original owner, or were there other transfers of title throughout the lifetime?
Paid cash for my 09 JSW from a local used car lot on the morning the buyback tables were published (6/28/16). They purchased it at an auction approximately 2.5 months before I got it. The original owner lived in California and apparently traded it in at a California dealer who dumped it at the auction.

The original owner may have filed a claim as an eligible seller, but I'm assuming they didn't.

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray

Are you referring to the estimated buyback amount on the claims website, or an actual mailed purchase contract/offer for you to sign, notarize and mail in?
Actual offer that I notorized/signed/returned was 100% of the restitution.

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple

Actual offer which has now been notarized and uploaded.

sierra3

TDI
'12 Passat TDI SE / '13 Passat TDI SE
Paid cash for my 09 JSW from a local used car lot on the morning the buyback tables were published (6/28/16). They purchased it at an auction approximately 2.5 months before I got it. The original owner lived in California and apparently traded it in at a California dealer who dumped it at the auction.

The original owner may have filed a claim as an eligible seller, but I'm assuming they didn't.

Thanks Jimmy, sounds exactly like my case. That is kind of how I see it. VW is not asking for proof of purchase date in the submitted documents...so unless an 'eligible seller' registered for the claim using the vehicle's VIN they would really have no way of knowing in which period you purchased it.

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
AWESOME NEWS!! This covers a large portion of the "flippers" out there. However... to cover more bases, it would be great to know of a confirmed case of one of the following. Only interested in final offers, where you have the paperwork in hand to be notarized. If one of these applies to you, Enquiring minds want to know :)
1. A car purchased after 6/28/16 with LESS THAN 100% restitution offered
2. A car purchased between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16 with anything other than 78% restitution offered
3. A car purchased after 6/28/16, with a salvage title PRIOR to 9/18/15, with LESS THAN 100% restitution offered.
Ok, this just got even more interesting!
I just got an official VW offer for my TDI purchased from 9/18/15 to 6/28/16: 100% restitution!
Clean title, no loan, eligible seller (don't know if they submitted claim). I'm guessing that they did not and that is why I'm getting 100%.

Last edited:

purduecrew

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
Ok, this just got even more interesting!
I just got an official VW offer for my TDI purchased from 9/18/15 to 6/28/16: 100% restitution!
Clean title, no loan, eligible seller (don't know if they submitted claim). I'm guessing that they did not and that is why I'm getting 100%.

With 9/18-6/28 buyers getting either 78% or 100% restitution, I am convinced that this is a VIN by VIN deal. How else could it be any different?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
If it's VIN-by-VIN (which it shouldn't be, per the settlements, for 9/18/15-6/28/16 buyers), why does anyone get 78%? If they were going VIN by VIN, we should be seeing either 50% or 100%.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
I see what you are saying DanB36. But, does anyone have a theory (other than VIN by VIN) as to why some 9/18-6/28 owners are seeing offers at 78%, others seeing 100%? Again, only interested in offers awaiting a notarized reply, not what the VW website shows.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I confess that I don't have a theory on that, other than simply that someone made a mistake. I don't see any scenario under any of the settlements where a 9/18/15-6/28/16 buyer should get 100% restitution, unless no Eligible Sellers filed any claims at all (which is obviously not the case).

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
That's probably it - a mistake. We know of very few (is it just one?) 9/18-6/28 owners with 100% offers. TDIsaver, get that sucker notarized and sent back!

Last edited:

purduecrew

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
I confess that I don't have a theory on that, other than simply that someone made a mistake. I don't see any scenario under any of the settlements where a 9/18/15-6/28/16 buyer should get 100% restitution, unless no Eligible Sellers filed any claims at all (which is obviously not the case).

Haha so you bring up a good point as to why it is not vin by vin then you bring up a good point as to why it is vin by vin. Gotta love VW!:rolleyes:

lefty82004

TDI
3 2010 M/T Jetta TDI's(totaled, buyback, currently debating buyback or keep or sell) 1 2006 Jetta Auto TDI(sold) 2013 Touareg TDI
When submitting the original information did you guys put the actual post 9/15/15 date as the date of purchase?

Freeze Plug

Veteran Member
TDI
Turd Sandwich
I don't know about other states, but CT has the purchase date and registration date right on the title. Pretty hard to argue with that.