Am I the only one that is satisfied with the proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I think that must have been parody. It does seem like the ones who are most disappointed are the ones who want to collect for "pain and suffering," without realizing that this is not something that is recoverable, regardless of whether you hire your own lawyer. Even the consumer-fraud "triple damages" statutes only triple the proven financial loss only.

sierra3

TDI
'12 Passat TDI SE / '13 Passat TDI SE
I think there is a country song in there somewhere...
"If I had never bought that dang ol' car, I wouldn't be sittin' here in this bar."

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
What loss have lessees suffered, for which they need to be compensated? Pre-9/18 buyers have suffered a loss--their cars are worth less than they otherwise would be. But lessees didn't own the car anyway, so the loss in value doesn't harm them. Why should all your lease payments be repaid?
While I am not a lessee, I can see one possible point where compensation might be in order - if an amount was charged at inception to lower the monthly rate. That amount is spread across the lease term. If one's lease is terminated early an appropriate portion of the down payment should be refunded. Of course, most VW lease ads normally say no down payment.

But other than that, I agree with you.

GretchenTDI

TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible
I'm starting to wish I had bought the demo 2015 Passat TDI SEL. I would have made out like a bandit on it. I'd have been okay selling it back too!

But I really like my Beetle convertible. I tend to get attached to my vehicles.
Gretchen is actually my car's name. ;). I'm Penny.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I'm certainly not going to copy and post the now famous kayoss 76 rant. But I have to feel for all the painful hours he had to suffer at the dealership. I guess not everyone can make use of the USAA Buying Service and TrueCar. All I had to do was go online, select the model, color, etc that I wanted and hit send. Immediately got three good offers with one being nearly $7K below MSRP. Would have been out the door with the car in around 30 minutes, except for a few minutes to make sure my personal check wouldn't bounce.

kayoss

TDI
SE
If you're looking for understanding those of us who are satisfied with the proposal, here's a couple of things you can do to start:
1. First, realize that any time and effort that you put in to researching and buying your VW was time that you elected to spend in that pursuit. I've just purchased a new BMW, and spent literally two plus hours a day for over 2 weeks doing my homework, shopping for the options and packages and trim I wanted. That entitled me to not one single cent off the purchase price.
2. Second, realize that having to deal with greasy/skeezy salesmen and finance managers can a:) happen at any dealer, not just a VW dealership, b:) is something you elected to do of your own free will, and c:) was not something anybody forced you to do.
3. Come to terms with trading in the car you loved. You made that choice. Nobody put a gun to your head. You opted for a TDI - bad luck. I myself traded in a brand new 2014 Mazda 3 with less than 10,000 miles for my TDI. That's not VW's fault, and they owe me nothing extra for that.
4. Most importantly - there is not one single automobile manufacturer who hasn't in some way, shape, or form lied to you. Your moral outrage is not equivalent to a winning lottery ticket.
Simply put, if you feel that you're owed so much more for your emotional pain and suffering, opt out of the class action, and sue them independently. Good luck convincing a judge.
Or, as was also said by others, realize that you aren't being forced to sell your car back, and you're not being forced to fix it, either. Keep it, use it as you have it, and experience not a single difference compared to what you paid for. That's an option available to you. But "let me keep it, fix it at your cost, and pay me full buyback price"? You're out of your mind.
The "they lied to us, now they should pay us all the money" stance so many people take is a bit disgusting. The US Goverment has been lying to us all for as long as it's existed - why aren't you out there arguing for a return of all monies paid in taxes over your lifetime?
Congratulations! You win! I have chosen you to respond to, because in this thread you are an intellectual giant compared to Michael and Banshee. Usually I just ignore those that disagree with me because they've given up on thought and have learned to "think" with emotion. And since you have been somewhat respectful, I will address your comments.

1) The time I spent in spending doing research was, of course, time I had chosen to spend because the "prize" was worth it. If the car HAD been what it was advertised to be, then there is no damage. Here is what I think you are missing. I did elect to spend time doing it, but only because it was something that it turned out not to be.

2) Again, I did elect to deal with the greasy/slicky salesmen, but only because they showed me a product that, in essence, did not exist. Let me put it to you this way, and maybe this will help you to understand. This is about cause and effect. Without the cause there is no effect.

3) Here is the comment that you just made that I just cannot understand how any thinking person can rationalize this. You said:

"You made that choice. Nobody put a gun to your head. You opted for a TDI - bad luck. I myself traded in a brand new 2014 Mazda 3 with less than 10,000 miles for my TDI. That's not VW's fault"

How in the world is this BAD LUCK??? The last thing this is is bad luck. This was caused by deceit and lies. If VW did not use deceit and lies, then who did? If you traded your mazda in for a lexus or something and regretted it, then that is your fault, but when you trade you car in for a car that, in essence, NOT THERE, then that IS VW's fault. You really can't see that???

4) VW is good because other companies lie? Since they all lie, then why take any benefit at all from VW? If all the other companies are lying like VW is, then why aren't they in court, too? You are no different than these college fans that love their own team who cheats because other teams, they believe, do too. This really is nothing more than justification and makes you looks like you are branded by VW and have become prone to intentional blindness.

Some of the people in this thread seem like they are grateful for what VW is giving them. By golly, I think they should go out and buy a couple more cars from them! By golly, we need to reward this corporation for their self serving greed!

kayoss

TDI
SE
I'm certainly not going to copy and post the now famous kayoss 76 rant. But I have to feel for all the painful hours he had to suffer at the dealership. I guess not everyone can make use of the USAA Buying Service and TrueCar. All I had to do was go online, select the model, color, etc that I wanted and hit send. Immediately got three good offers with one being nearly $7K below MSRP. Would have been out the door with the car in around 30 minutes, except for a few minutes to make sure my personal check wouldn't bounce.
At first, I thought I was supposed to be offended at your post, but after reading it, I realized this was just your way of enlightening others as to what a genius you are. Those school gifted and talented programs just ruined society.

2015golfwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon
I'm pretty happy with the buyback. I'm planning on driving my Golf Wagon another couple years and turning it in towards the end and come out 2 grand ahead over what I paid for the car new. How often can a person drive a car for 3 years and 50K miles and come out ahead 2 grand, this will be a first for me.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
[B said:
kayoss[/B];5105674]At first, I thought I was supposed to be offended at your post, but after reading it, I realized this was just your way of enlightening others as to what a genius you are. Those school gifted and talented programs just ruined society.
Another Troll added to my Ignore List. It's grown in size a lot since Dieselgate. No wonder this Country is going to the dogs. :( (Just another loser who thinks they are "entitled").

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Don't you just love it when a Newbee pops out of the woodwork knowing more than all the other members here? Time to stop feeding the Troll! He should buy a different car with all his research and when it doesn't live up to his expectations he can sue that company for time wasted and pain a suffering.
I think he should actually work for those ambulance chasing law firms that advertise all day long on the TV.

Last edited:

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Congratulations! You win! I have chosen you to respond to, because in this thread you are an intellectual giant compared to Michael and Banshee. Usually I just ignore those that disagree with me because they've given up on thought and have learned to "think" with emotion. And since you have been somewhat respectful, I will address your comments.
Boy, you sure do act entitled as many (including myself) have pointed out. You even admit to only responding to those who you feel are at all near your profound intelligence level. Acting like a sane mature adult is thinking with emotion?

You and a very very select few others on this board act like your VW broke into your house and sodomized you in your sleep. Get over yourself. You still enjoy fantastic fuel economy and the wonderful driving experience that we ALL bought TDI's for. The ONLY thing that this scandal has affected YOU is the current value of your vehicle. And this point is only really arguable now as most of us who know much of anything about automobiles feel that the value will be affected at a much smaller amount in the long term.

Your car is presently worth less than it would be without the scandal, VW is unsure of the logistics of the modifications to certain generations, the government is fining the bejesus out of them, and they are being forced to make it right with the owners via a couple of options. Since your car is PRESENTLY worth less than it normally would be VW will, as an option to you, buy it back along with cash restitution on top of the pre-scandal value to makeup for lost value. Or you can take a modification to put your vehicle within compliance and you'll receive a restitution to make up for the lost value of your car.

I understand that you're incredibly new here and are obviously new to attempting to be a car enthusiast. So I'll just say that you sure have A LOT to learn.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Boy, you sure do act entitled as many (including myself) have pointed out. You even admit to only responding to those who you feel are at all near your profound intelligence level. Acting like a sane mature adult is thinking with emotion?
I will be labeled as a banshee365 accomplice on this but i totally agree one more time. :eek:

Mike_S

TDI
Sportwagen TDI 2010
What sort of man would argue over time spent as if it had significant value and not realize how much of it they are wasting?

pushgears

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 A3 TDI
Stop the Insanity

I am very happy with the terms of the settlement. Is it perfect? No. Is it fair? Yes. Will 90% of TDI owners, as is the goal cited by Ken Feinberg, accept its terms? I think so.

wmichaelis

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI

First, there's no reason to be obnoxious. If you don't like someone's opinions, argue against them based on the facts you have, don't attack them. If you want to believe they're "trolls", or whatever, that's your prerogative, but if you're making personal attacks - whether starting or retaliating - you're the very kind of troll you're labeling others.

Also, as far as "intellectual giants" - I'm not one, and I wouldn't think to assume anyone's level of intellect based on what they think and feel about one situation. My own personal thought is that it's a bad idea indeed to judge anyone based on a conflicting opinion to my own.

1) The time I spent in spending doing research was, of course, time I had chosen to spend because the "prize" was worth it. If the car HAD been what it was advertised to be, then there is no damage. Here is what I think you are missing. I did elect to spend time doing it, but only because it was something that it turned out not to be.

You've got a chicken and egg scenario here. You can't say time spent discovering what a product is promised to be is "worth" it. Had you done your research and determined that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, dieselgate or not, would you be entitled to compensation? I just replaced my Jetta TDI with a BMW - but I looked at the Mazdas again, read a lot of things, and even test drove it before deciding it wasn't for me. Should Mazda now cut me a check? Whether or not you want to research anything is on you, regardless of what claims are being made by the products being researched. Again, at no point in time did VW make you do your homework before you bought.

2) Again, I did elect to deal with the greasy/slicky salesmen, but only because they showed me a product that, in essence, did not exist. Let me put it to you this way, and maybe this will help you to understand. This is about cause and effect. Without the cause there is no effect.

The product did exist. It's a pretty extreme point of view to say "hey, it puts out more emissions than it said, this doesn't exist!". If the emissions were such a major factor in the decision for you, and you did so much intensive research to get the perfect car, why not get the emissions tested independently?

3) Here is the comment that you just made that I just cannot understand how any thinking person can rationalize this. You said:
"You made that choice. Nobody put a gun to your head. You opted for a TDI - bad luck. I myself traded in a brand new 2014 Mazda 3 with less than 10,000 miles for my TDI. That's not VW's fault"
How in the world is this BAD LUCK??? The last thing this is is bad luck. This was caused by deceit and lies. If VW did not use deceit and lies, then who did? If you traded your mazda in for a lexus or something and regretted it, then that is your fault, but when you trade you car in for a car that, in essence, NOT THERE, then that IS VW's fault. You really can't see that???

It's bad luck that I chose a car that wasn't what it was promised to be. Yes, VW lied. And I had absolutely no reason to take them at their word. Just as I have no reason to take anyone, or any company, at their word. But when I make a purchase, that's the risk I am taking, that someone is pulling the wool over my eyes. Caveat Emptor.

Also, to be clear, while "clean diesel" was a big part of my personal decision process, it wasn't the whole process. Would you be up in arms, torch in hand, when you buy your next car, and it doesn't get the advertised fuel economy? Very many don't. Is it right that that happens? Of course not. And it doesn't excuse the bull****. But at the end of the day, it was my money, and I made the choice to spend it based on facts that I believed in, but could not verify myself. It sucks, and I can burn in righteous anger over it, but it's not going to get me anything.

4) VW is good because other companies lie? Since they all lie, then why take any benefit at all from VW? If all the other companies are lying like VW is, then why aren't they in court, too? You are no different than these college fans that love their own team who cheats because other teams, they believe, do too. This really is nothing more than justification and makes you looks like you are branded by VW and have become prone to intentional blindness.
Some of the people in this thread seem like they are grateful for what VW is giving them. By golly, I think they should go out and buy a couple more cars from them! By golly, we need to reward this corporation for their self serving greed!

No. Absolutely NO. At no point did I say VW is good. They lied. They're being punished. What I was trying to bring to mind is that this is **** you (and everyone else on this planet) has to deal with daily. I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm merely pointing out that there are plenty of undiscovered untruths, massaged statistics, and flat out lies from every other car manufacturer out there, and if you're going to climb on your horse and start shouting Crusade, you should be aware it's not just one company you need to crusade against.

And yes, I bet some people are grateful, as they have every right to be. Some people are getting good deals. Some people were thinking about trading in anyway, and are now getting more money than they might have otherwise. Some people see this as a way to put it behind them without too much loss, and are now grateful to know they won't make the mistake of buying a VW again for quite a long time (hint - one of them just told you he bought a BMW). Your situation, your personal beliefs, and how you're left feeling are *not* everyone's situations, beliefs, or feelings.
Replies inline, and in bold.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Another Troll added to my Ignore List. It's grown in size a lot since Dieselgate. No wonder this Country is going to the dogs. :( (Just another loser who thinks they are "entitled").
I've not made your list yet AJA? Darn, I'll have to try harder.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It's bad luck that I chose a car that wasn't what it was promised to be. Yes, VW lied. And I had absolutely no reason to take them at their word. Just as I have no reason to take anyone, or any company, at their word. But when I make a purchase, that's the risk I am taking, that someone is pulling the wool over my eyes. Caveat Emptor.

Also, to be clear, while "clean diesel" was a big part of my personal decision process, it wasn't the whole process. Would you be up in arms, torch in hand, when you buy your next car, and it doesn't get the advertised fuel economy? Very many don't. Is it right that that happens? Of course not. And it doesn't excuse the bull****. But at the end of the day, it was my money, and I made the choice to spend it based on facts that I believed in, but could not verify myself. It sucks, and I can burn in righteous anger over it, but it's not going to get me anything.

No. Absolutely NO. At no point did I say VW is good. They lied. They're being punished. What I was trying to bring to mind is that this is **** you (and everyone else on this planet) has to deal with daily. I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm merely pointing out that there are plenty of undiscovered untruths, massaged statistics, and flat out lies from every other car manufacturer out there, and if you're going to climb on your horse and start shouting Crusade, you should be aware it's not just one company you need to crusade against.

And yes, I bet some people are grateful, as they have every right to be. Some people are getting good deals. Some people were thinking about trading in anyway, and are now getting more money than they might have otherwise. Some people see this as a way to put it behind them without too much loss, and are now grateful to know they won't make the mistake of buying a VW again for quite a long time (hint - one of them just told you he bought a BMW). Your situation, your personal beliefs, and how you're left feeling are *not* everyone's situations, beliefs, or feelings.

I'm agreeing here with wmichaelis and adding a little of my clarification (twist).

I traded a 2000 TDI beetle in for my 2010 TDI JSW. Did the "clean diesel" campaign convince me to trade, not really but it was nice to have a cleaner burning diesel. Of course that also meant that it became a lot harder to "smoke" someone that needed it. The design and ride of the two cars was completely different and I was tired of dealing with the electrical gremlins running around inside the beetle.

Do all companies lie? Well that is one diffenition of marketing is. All companies choose to omit things in their ads where they may be a little deficient compared to the competition. All companies choose to make a mountain out of ant hills for a marketing twist. Squeezable Charmin? It was really less cardboard and softer cardboard making up the tube that the toilet paper was rolled on.

My favorite take of all times:
There's lies, there's damn lies, and then there is marketing.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
This is what some members of this forum have a hard time understanding.
It's not true for all. Many did buy their cars for their "clean" reputation. They were among the cars recommended on all of the "clean" lists. There are some people that care about this.

I liked that it was but it's not why I bought mine but I realize some did. I'm happy with the end result here but indeed there are some that have a valid complaint other than resale value.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I cared about "clean" and still do. I drive a car that emits significantly less CO2 than any other vehicle in its class.

What poor kayoss doesn't get is that the value of his time, now matter how much time was spent, is zero.

kayoss

TDI
SE
What poor kayoss doesn't get is that the value of his time, now matter how much time was spent, is zero.
I have no doubt that your time is worth nothing. I have no doubt that you are pleased. Thank goodness there were people 200 plus years ago that didn't want to answer to the King of England.

kayoss

TDI
SE
It's not true for all. Many did buy their cars for their "clean" reputation. They were among the cars recommended on all of the "clean" lists. There are some people that care about this.
I liked that it was but it's not why I bought mine but I realize some did. I'm happy with the end result here but indeed there are some that have a valid complaint other than resale value.
I acknowledge your greatness in this forum. I appreciate the fact that you think from outside of your own perspective.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I don't care what you appreciate.

I do, however, wish that you would quit confusing people with your anguished drivel.

In the real world, compensation for time expended doing things is called employment, and is subject to income tax from both federal and state taxing authorities, Medicare taxes, Social Security, and self-employment taxes (at least in this context).

Which means that, even in the (tank goodness) unlikely event that you successfully get the class of TDI owners extra money to compensate us for our "time" in order to heal or tender and injured psyches, TDI owners would wind up with more hassle and less money in our pocket at the end.

kayoss

TDI
SE
Let's see....let's break this down. I'll make my words bold:

"First, there's no reason to be obnoxious. If you don't like someone's opinions, argue against them based on the facts you have, don't attack them. If you want to believe they're "trolls", or whatever, that's your prerogative, but if you're making personal attacks - whether starting or retaliating - you're the very kind of troll you're labeling others."

First, let me say, if you read back to my initial post, I didn't really berate anyone. I was totally shocked by some of the responses in this thread and I may have reacted with a strong disbelief, but I certainly wasn't personally attacking anyone. However, if you will look at how people responded to me, then I think you will clearly see how offensive they were, but to do that would probably confirm something that you don't want to feel.

"Also, as far as "intellectual giants" - I'm not one, and I wouldn't think to assume anyone's level of intellect based on what they think and feel about one situation. My own personal thought is that it's a bad idea indeed to judge anyone based on a conflicting opinion to my own."

Where do I go here? If I respond how to want to respond, then I am afraid that I will be accused of trying to make you look stupid. Hmmm...I'll try it like this. If you are able to recognize that someone has a conflicting opinion to you, then by definition, you are judging them. I'll just leave it at that.

"You've got a chicken and egg scenario here. You can't say time spent discovering what a product is promised to be is "worth" it. Had you done your research and determined that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, dieselgate or not, would you be entitled to compensation? I just replaced my Jetta TDI with a BMW - but I looked at the Mazdas again, read a lot of things, and even test drove it before deciding it wasn't for me. Should Mazda now cut me a check? Whether or not you want to research anything is on you, regardless of what claims are being made by the products being researched. Again, at no point in time did VW make you do your homework before you bought."

How can I make you see that Mazda did not do anything illegal? There was no deception. You would not have Mazda coming to you a year later telling you that "hey, we want the car back because you've been dumping crap into the environment."

"The product did exist. It's a pretty extreme point of view to say "hey, it puts out more emissions than it said, this doesn't exist!". If the emissions were such a major factor in the decision for you, and you did so much intensive research to get the perfect car, why not get the emissions tested independently?"

this HAS to be hyperbole. Please tell me that it is and you aren't really serious.

"It's bad luck that I chose a car that wasn't what it was promised to be. Yes, VW lied. And I had absolutely no reason to take them at their word. Just as I have no reason to take anyone, or any company, at their word. But when I make a purchase, that's the risk I am taking, that someone is pulling the wool over my eyes. Caveat Emptor."

Good grief. How can you not see this? You DO have reason to take them at their word. You have lots of reasons. You have something called precedent. You have following the laws. You have capitalistic reasons. You have tons of reasons to believe that the product would be as it is represented. Do you really not understand the difference in pulling the wool over your eyes versus breaking the law?

"No. Absolutely NO. At no point did I say VW is good. They lied. They're being punished. What I was trying to bring to mind is that this is **** you (and everyone else on this planet) has to deal with daily. I'm not excusing the behavior. I'm merely pointing out that there are plenty of undiscovered untruths, massaged statistics, and flat out lies from every other car manufacturer out there, and if you're going to climb on your horse and start shouting Crusade, you should be aware it's not just one company you need to crusade against."

You can't have it both ways. On one hand you act like it is slick marketing and that the consumer should beware and then you want to say they lied and are being punished. You are excusing the behavior. Every post you write is centered around excusing the behavior. If you don't believe me, read what you've said again.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
This is a whole lotta yapping by a guy who wants VW to pay him for his internet time as if every moment were golden. Reads more like someone who has sufficient idle time.

Im waiting for how the pain and suffering of reading and posting comments on the net will be quantified before a judge.

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
This is a whole lotta yapping by a guy who wants VW to pay him for his internet time as if every moment were golden. Reads more like someone who has sufficient idle time.

Im waiting for how the pain and suffering of reading and posting comments on the net will be quantified before a judge.
Indeed. Indeed.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
I have no doubt that your time is worth nothing. I have no doubt that you are pleased. Thank goodness there were people 200 plus years ago that didn't want to answer to the King of England.
Were this accurate, the Declaration of Independence would have arrived in England with an enclosed invoice for the time spent writing it.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
And the sore butt from sitting on the old worn out chair in their basement (yup...better add a NEW CHAIR)......and a NEW COMPUTER , utilities, and Internet connectivity to make posts and research his new and old car...
And the "fear" of having caused harm to children from excessive pollution....
Lol...
Entitled you think?!
Lol
Sorry...
Needed a laugh today after the French tragedy .

Status
Not open for further replies.