G68 sensor removal

Timbo1080

Basic facts:

2001 Jetta TDI 280K mi

Auto trans - went into limp mode.

Error code (p0722) -indicates no signal. Per review of here and others indicates g68 sensor error either the sensor itself or wiring.

I removed airbox and battery box - removed the tranny mount, lowered the tranny and have access to the G68 sensor. Had Major pain in the butt disconnecting the electrical connector - anybody got an easier way to remove these connectors? I end up breaking them about half the time...

What I did see is that where the pigtail ran from the sensor to the connector it went under a retaining clip which rubbed the insulation and shielding off of the wires and I assume grounded out the signal.

So now I'm trying to remove the sensor itself. I've removed the 10mm bolt holding it in and the sensor rotates around the hole but does not seem to want to come out. Any words of wisdom on how to get it out?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Timbo1080

OK - just held in by a sticky o-ring. Now to see if I can tape the bare spots and see if it works - otherwise it's time to order a new sensor.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
With that mileage and you're already in there I would change the sensor rather than fix it and hope it lasts longer. Don't forget the mount bolts are most likely single use and should be replaced as well.

Timbo1080

Ended up needing a new sensor - $60 including shipping from idparts.com - replaced it today, cleared the error codes and it shifts like a champ!

The job turned out to be not so bad - if anyone in the DC NOVA area needs help on this in the future let me know - should be able to do it in 2 hours.

Thanks all for posting here - the search function is extremely helpful in diagnosing problems.

BEETLEMAN2001

TDI
BEELTLE
Did you buy new stretch bolts for the trans mount? It was recommended highly to do that. otherwise re-stretching the old bolts might break them off and then real trouble!

Wayne.

BEETLEMAN2001

TDI
BEELTLE
How to on lowering the transmission on 2001 new beetle

I saw a few threads on someone going to do the G68 sensor replacment, But never quite shows the pics or step by step instructions on removing which bolts to safely lower the 01m tranny. I have never done it so I don't want to mess it up or make more work for myself. So anyone here, have any sugestions that would be useful, or even better a step by step pic to text instructions or even better still a complete video of the process. I haven't seen any on youtube or anywhere else.
It would be very much appreciated.

BEETLEMAN2001

TDI
BEELTLE
I did find an article with 2d pics on how to do it. But not sure why I have to take the other steps mentioned. I know Timbo1080 did his G68 removal and tranny lowering. Did you have to take out and remove the bolts for the transmission carrier (pendulum support)?

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
remove breather. support trans with a jack. remove bolts from mount and take it out replace G68. reinstall mount using new bolts. reinstall breather.

difficulty level is about the same as changing a tire.

Edit: If you have a "underbody cover" or skid plate you'll need to take it off.

BEETLEMAN2001

TDI
BEELTLE
Yeah bud, brain surgery is is if you have done it before and know what your doing! Your advice doesn't help in this case. Anybody could say what you just did. It is not very informative and is not step by step instruction in detail.

I was very leery and apprehensive about lowering the tranny to get the stupid sensor out. I looked extensively to find good instructions on how to go about it.
Found one instructions that told to support trans below, take out air cleaner box, take out battery, etc, you know get everything out of the way...then said make sure the trans is supported by placing block under the drain pan. then take out the four bolts supporting the mount and tranny. Then take out the bolts to the lower doggie bone support. (Which is stupid to do). You don't have to lower the trans at all!
Here is what I have found at one of the web sites. http://newbeetle.org/forums/transmission-talk/37273-1999-vw-beetle-vss-replacing.html#post571452

Here is the info:
You'll have to remove the mount bracket to access the sensor to change it. Place a jack under the metal skidplate for the transmission to support it...there should be no weight on the mounts as you are removing or replacing the bolts. Remove the mount to body bolts first, make sure transmission is fully supported, then remove the two mount to bracket bolts. Then remove the bracket from the transmission to replace the sensor.

The two mount to bracket bolts and the two mount to body bolts are one-time use stretch bolts and they must be replaced. Order them from the dealer.

Torque specs (again, with weight supported...particularly with the mount to bracket bolts):
Mount to body bolt: 40 Nm (30ft-lb) plus 90 degrees (1/4 turn)
Mount to bracket bolt: 100 Nm (74 ft-lb)
Now the above mentioned torquing is INCORRECT!
My official VW new beetle service manual states the following torque specifications for the trans and body mount:

Left Engine/Transmission mounting bolts(to mount itself): 60 Nm(44 ft.lbs.) plus 1/4 turn(90 degrees) after torque is met.
Body mount(to transmission): 60 Nm(44 ft.lbs.) plus 1/4 turn(90 degrees) after torque is met.

The only thing I would do differently is not to remove the body bolts or transmission bolts first. I did that and when I tried to remove the mounting bracket bolts the mount would twist and couldn't get the bolts off when it moves like that. So I would advise to just loosen the bolts that support the transmission, then remove the bracket or mounting bolts.
Yes it was easier than I thought to get to the G68 sensor, which to my disappointment was not damaged in any way nor the wiring to it. I just hope it resolves the problem. I WANT TO SMOG IT AND HAVE NO MORE PROBLEMS WITH THE LAME TRANSMISSION.

WAYNE

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Yeah bud, brain surgery is is if you have done it before and know what your doing! Your advice doesn't help in this case. Anybody could say what you just did. It is not very informative and is not step by step instruction in detail.
Well then, why dont I just hold your hand during the repair?

Seems like you got it done so maybe it was enough. Your explanation of the repair seems like just saying the same thing to me. The rest of what you said is just common sense. And of course the torque spec is in the bentley. As it has been said 1 million times on this forum you shouldn't attempt most repairs without a Bentley manual in hand. I certainly dont have time to look up torque specs for every transmission related repair on a Vw that is performed.

Fyi...The vertical bolt torque spec changed. Most folks torque them to 74 ft lbs with no additional turns. I think Vw updated this because too many were stripping the threads in the aluminum.

Last edited:

hillelectric

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
Does anyone know the parts number(s) for the transmission side engine mount bolts that I will need when I replace the G68 sensor on my 02 Jetta TDI? I have a spare set of front (passenger side) bolts and I am wondering if they are the same for both sides. All I can find online are bolt kits that include everything for a complete engine mount replacement including the dog bone bolts. Thanks.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
probably the same as the front passenger side bolts. I suppose you would need to post your year make and model in order to know the part number of the bolts but if its a mk 4 jetta its almost certainly the same as the other side