Wiper problems

Razooki

TDI
2001 TDI
Hey all, I've been lurking here since September when I acquired an '01 Jetta TDI w/ 380K on it. My first diesel and I love it (even though I had to to the clutch and head gasket on it!). Anyway I have a question about the wipers - mine don't seem to go to the normal park position. When I turn them on they sweep through and then come back all the way to the base of the windshield and then when I turn them off they go again to the base but then they come to rest about 3-4in above. I don't think this is normal so any ideas why this happens?

Thanks,

Raz

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Could be the wiper arm assembly. Seizing or something. Or someone has changed that before and never aligned it properly.

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Ditto. Could be that they are seized. I just diassembled mine a few weekends ago and cleaned them up. The how to is here:
or
Someone reinstalled without resetting the position first. If that's the case, you need to take off the arms, cowling, etc, and reset the linkage (it does so automatically if not seized or something preventing them) and then put the wiper arms back on again and they should be in the right resting position.

Razooki

TDI
2001 TDI
DieselDrink said:
Ditto. Could be that they are seized. I just diassembled mine a few weekends ago and cleaned them up. The how to is here:
or
Someone reinstalled without resetting the position first. If that's the case, you need to take off the arms, cowling, etc, and reset the linkage (it does so automatically if not seized or something preventing them) and then put the wiper arms back on again and they should be in the right resting position.
Thanks, they were seized and someone (ME) disassembled and lubed but I guess I did not align properly.

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
Gotcha! So easy fix! Take the wiper arms off only. Then just run the motor once and turn to off position. The linkage will reset to the resting position (which is straight underneath).

Then just put the arms back on again. Tighten.

That should do it I think.