Fuel Injection Pump 1Z AHU questions

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
So just to rule this out. When it comes to the Fuel Injection Pump. Does one full rotation cycle completely. Like when the engine is timed properly and the engine does one full rotation, does the Fuel Pump rotate one full cycle or does it take two rotations to equal a complete cycle. Hope this makes sense. Reason Im asking is I just timed a B4V and all three TDC marks were lined up timing belt applied and everything put back together. It ran before, now it just turns over and no ignition. Not sure where to start, thought I plan on cracking the injector lines and see if I have fuel first. I didn't mess with any fuel lines in the Timing process. Could the Fuel Pump Relay be the issue? if so were is it located. Ive done 5 timing kits on these cars and this is the first issue I've had with this. Any advice would be nice

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Pump turns at half crankshaft speed. Same as cam so two crank rotations gives one pump rotation.

I have found on my AHU that I have to advance the pump a tooth sometimes. If you didn't mess with the fuel lines and have no reason to suspect lack of fuel you might try that. How close is the pump from accepting the pin with the crank at TDC now? It is likely off a bit but how much?

Did you remove the pump pin when you set the tensioner as is required? If not there can be slack between the crank and pump resulting in an undertensioned belt and late cam timing.

Not the cause of your problem but a common mistake. And yes, the instructions on this site are incorrect in this.

Last edited:

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Is your pump electrical connector attached?

If your timing marks lined up, then I doubt you’re out of time.

It’s possible that there is something else preventing the engine from starting. Have you scanned for codes?

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
So....I cannot scan for codes as it isn't running...lol
Also I will just redo the timing and see what I get....I did leave the pin in when I did the timing....though....the Crank Shaft was off A tooth....I'll look at it again...Thanks

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Simple

I retimed and Noticed the fuel pump was off by like 4 or 5 teeth.......Timed to perfection this time and it fired up immediately. Not sure how that happened