refinish steering wheel?

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Is there a way or has anyone tried to say "refinish" a steering wheel? Not the GLX leather wrapped one but the standard steering wheel.

I removed the old slip on cover that had been on since the day I bought it (I hate those things)...the wheel isn't too bad but a lot of the coating or whatever that is that covers the foam-like stuff is worn thru and feels rough. There are no chunks or gaping cracks...it just feels rough.

Is there any kinda sealer or other sort of brush-on/spray-on thing that anyone has tried? Like how there is a "plasti-dip" stuff that you can dip tool handles into...I don't mean to use plasti-dip but it gives you the idea of what I'm trying to figure out...

I could just get a used one from a pull a part but it's gonna be in similar condition...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would opt for the JY replacement, steering wheels are touched a lot and I would worry about the coating turning to goo while you're trying to drive the car.

Alternatively you could buy a high quality leather cover and stitch that in place. I've seen those done and they do look very nice!

Steve

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
no JY cars in my area to scrounge...I stitched my Jeep wheel years ago...might try that...have seen some you tube stuff on refinishing...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If your wheel isn’t leather, I’d just buy another off the classifieds or install the wrap/cover.

I had a thread about refinishing a leather wheel.

-Todd

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
I have an OEM B4 GLX leather steering wheel in good condition but with no airbag and a sprung clock spring (due to my less than careful handling) -- in other words you'll need to transfer both the airbag and the spring from you current steering wheel.

I will give this away free to any Forum member who's willing to pay shipping costs. Please send me PM.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
yep I check the net...was looking for some other options or unique methods...I stitched a leather cover on my jeep years ago...straight forward but labor intensive/hand sewing suxs...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
get momo adapter, buy aftermarket death wheel