Backup Camera on MKIV Golf - Wiring Routing Options?

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I recently installed a Pioneer MVH-2300NEX headunit (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_1302300NEX/Pioneer-MVH-2300NEX.html?tp=72453&avf=Y) in my 2001 Golf TDI. So far, I love it. It has an input for an optional backup camera. I have gotten used to the camera in my 2016 R and figured I would try to hook one up on the TDI. (Yes, yes, turn your head, don't be lazy, yadayadayada). I am scratching my head, however, over how I would want to route the signal and power cables into the cabin. My first instinct is to mount the camera right above the license plate and under the bumper lip that overhangs it. I might be able to take advantage of the ingress made by the plate light wiring.

Has anybody mounted a backup camera on a MKIV golf (or Jetta Wagon) and come up with decent solutions for getting the wires into the cabin?

TIA,
Lex

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well I did this on a jetta and ran the wires through one of the license plate lights. Worked well.

How to route it from there in a Golf I have no idea.

The location (meaning above the license plate) works well though.

If you really want to go crazy, do what I did, and buy an Alpine license plate holder:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTXC10L/Alpine-KTX-C10LP.html?tp=71428

Last edited:

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Simple. Do like I did with the Passat, and get a camera that fits the car. :)
This camera replaces a license plate lamp, making it a bolt-on affair.

Cable routing: If you cut the RCA connector off of the camera, the wire will easily feed thru the harness tube (from gate to body.) Simply solder a new plug on.

Depending on the length of cable that comes with the camera, you might need to get an RCA extension cable (or, a simple cable + RCA F-F connector (was necessary on the big-a$$ B5.5 wagon; might be okay on a Golf.)

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Simple. Do like I did with the Passat, and get a camera that fits the car. :)
This camera replaces a license plate lamp, making it a bolt-on affair.

Cable routing: If you cut the RCA connector off of the camera, the wire will easily feed thru the harness tube (from gate to body.) Simply solder a new plug on.

Depending on the length of cable that comes with the camera, you might need to get an RCA extension cable (or, a simple cable + RCA F-F connector (was necessary on the big-a$$ B5.5 wagon; might be okay on a Golf.)
Wow! Never saw that before. Pretty cool!

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Wow! Never saw that before. Pretty cool!
Oh, it's awesome. Looks 100% factory, and the (similar) one that I got (honestly, the camera itself is probably identical) actually has pretty good picture quality, even at night.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Love that light mount/camera/license plate light hybrid!

Good to hear image quality if gtg. I just mounted my wagon camera inside the rear hatch glass. At top of the center rearmost headliner trim. That way the camera lens won't get dirty/scratched. But, carrying cargo can bump it out of alignment...

Silverghost, is the Golf light/camera different size than Jettas?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Love that light mount/camera/license plate light hybrid!

Good to hear image quality if gtg. I just mounted my wagon camera inside the rear hatch glass. At top of the center rearmost headliner trim. That way the camera lens won't get dirty/scratched. But, carrying cargo can bump it out of alignment...

Silverghost, is the Golf light/camera different size than Jettas?
Yeah, I believe they screw into the metal trunk lid on a Jetta, but snap into the plastic bumper in a Golf. Have to double check but I think that's right.

Jason

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
I have just installed the factory Scirocco camera on my R32.

Need to cut a hole in middle of bumper between the number plate lights to mount it.

There are a whole bunch of adapter cables available from VW to hook everything up.

To get a coaxial plug on the camera requires the Japanese market version (easy to put an RCA plug on this version as well)

The Euro market versions have a "data" type cable with separate RGB connections.

Number plate light camera would certainly be an easier install!

Scirocco camera comes with a long harness that I ran through a 40mm grommet.

There are two plugs on each side of the rear panel under the bumper (top ones are used for sunroof drain hoses)

:)

Last edited:

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, I believe they screw into the metal trunk lid on a Jetta, but snap into the plastic bumper in a Golf. Have to double check but I think that's right.
Jason
I assume you had to remove the rear bumper to get the wiring through, right? Or is there a magical way to avoid this?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I assume you had to remove the rear bumper to get the wiring through, right? Or is there a magical way to avoid this?
Well, I actually got a free little cube shaped camera and screwed it in right above the lic plate. But I removed the bumper - by far the easiest way to run the wires. Both tail light come out because there are screws under them that hold the bumper.

Unless you are Gumby, then no magical way to avoid this. I suppose you could take a lic lamp out, drop a string down. Also find where the wiring goes into the body and drop a string there. Then use the string to pull the camera wiring. This way you pull the harness out the bottom, then pull is back up to the grommet into the car. Just make sure the slack loop doesn't get caught up between the lic plate lamp and the grommet.

Not an easy task, but doable.

Jason