New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Look at the vehicle info when you connect the VCDS. Sometimes tuners will drop a bit of text.
This is what my stock 2003 NB looks like-
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-012-AGR.clb
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 012 GQ
Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC G000SG 4307
Software Coding: 00002
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
Additional Info: 3VWCP21C73M443967 VWZ5Z0C4152205
VCID: 65CF4608FF789CA1D2-4AB4

seanboud

TDI
2013 A5 Deetle
New member, long time Bug advocate and fan.

The 2013 TDI Deetle I've owned for a decade now is my absolute favorite bug out of the various ones I've owned simply for the TDI motor in it.

I'm giving serious thought to deleting the dieselgate garbage off of it now that it's out of warranty.

It popped a 'check engine' and after checking the codes I took it to the local VW shop and they did a warranty replace/repair of the snow flap/def/etc with only 5k miles left on that warranty!

It's been another 5k miles and the only local shop around here in Northern Virginia that does quality Euro/VW work recoiled in utter horror when I asked if they'd do the labor on a Rawtek kit for it. They'd only do the DGF tune. They probably thought I was State Police or a glowie since most counties around us do emissions inspections...but my county doesn't!

It's an ongoing pursuit. I look forward to tweaking this little car until it's an absolute mutant high-miler.

I recently had Prime XR Ceramic film tinting done since it a black car with this much glass can get like an EZ-Bake oven during my 100 mile commute each day:

Last edited:

seanboud

TDI
2013 A5 Deetle
Central Florida?

I'm from Key West originally but grew up in the Sanford/Lake Mary area!

...well, a very long time ago, truth. I left for the Navy in 1992 and have only visited home, since.

The 70s and 80s were wild in south and central Florida!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
yep! I reside in Mount Dora, FL. very small town but back then it would be much smaller during your time. I moved here in 2004 from NY for an job fresh out of the College.

Lake Mary is truly nice, Sanford nowadays is half nice and other half ehh.

seanboud

TDI
2013 A5 Deetle
Mother of Pearl what a small, tiny world this is.

I lived on the Wekiva River. I know Mount Dora well!

Hell, I was just down there in January and helped my mom buy a Buick from the Sam Roswell GMC/Buick right off 441 in Mt. Dora.

I took my wife to the Christmas celebration in downtown Mt. Dora back in November of last year, too!

Let me know, I can get your Florida Man card laminated for you :D

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
sure! I would like it.

yeah I'm sure you have noticed the downtown of Mount Dora has changed. in 2004 it barely breathes, only can hear crickets..... today? totally blossomed and very alive.

delicious restaurant establishments to enjoy and drink.

seanboud

TDI
2013 A5 Deetle
It’s less sleepy now but still small enough to escape notice from the Kissimmee/Orlando hordes.

Mt. Dora Pizza and Pasta still makes the best freaking pizza I’ve ever had. We go there every time we visit.

The downtown is really nice now!!

Drooque

TDI
98 Jetta
Hello,
New 99 TDI Jetta owner, but I drove a 2001 GLX Jetta for many years. I have wanted a TDI for a very long time, but just couldn't find the right one for the right cost. Initially this will be for my wife to use for her 2.5 hour commute each day. In the future a ways, I'd like to improve the performance and comfort quite a bit, but keep it practical and functional. Currently it has an electrical problem which I posted about in another tread. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

TDI
2012 Golf 2 Dr. HB
Howdy y'all! Early 2022 bought a 2012 Golf TDI & love it! First VW & diesel. Calculating (miles/gallons) MPG on my first long trip I was happily shocked to get 42 MPG! A few months ago I got check engine light. Dealer ran code & said DPF/EGR replace. MPG recently way down, calculated at 33, but not necessarily coinciding with C/E light. Want to address this. About to drive a 3,000-plus mile, 4 week trip leaving late Aug. Want to do the work myself before trip. Questions. 1.) Is removing DPF & EGR & replacing with pre-routed pipe discussed here? Difficult to find related posts. 2.) Which code scanner should I buy? I'm an aircraft structures mechanic, rarely work on cars, but want to do the work myself (or with a well-compensated $ partner). Is 1 day reasonable? What other work should I "might as well" do before my long trip? Car has 140k miles. Recent timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, coolant flush/fill, battery, new tires. Goodyear Reliants 225/45/17. Too wide? Do Reliants suck? They were cheap! I'll replace if they play a big role in my MPG loss. I'm really glad to be here as I DIY this car & re-claim my high MPG. I see lots of passion, but not much on DPF/EGR removal. I'd appreciate anyone pointing me to related posts.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Howdy y'all! Early 2022 bought a 2012 Golf TDI & love it! First VW & diesel. Calculating (miles/gallons) MPG on my first long trip I was happily shocked to get 42 MPG! A few months ago I got check engine light. Dealer ran code & said DPF/EGR replace. MPG recently way down, calculated at 33, but not necessarily coinciding with C/E light. Want to address this. About to drive a 3,000-plus mile, 4 week trip leaving late Aug. Want to do the work myself before trip. Questions. 1.) Is removing DPF & EGR & replacing with pre-routed pipe discussed here? Difficult to find related posts. 2.) Which code scanner should I buy? I'm an aircraft structures mechanic, rarely work on cars, but want to do the work myself (or with a well-compensated $ partner). Is 1 day reasonable? What other work should I "might as well" do before my long trip? Car has 140k miles. Recent timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, coolant flush/fill, battery, new tires. Goodyear Reliants 225/45/17. Too wide? Do Reliants suck? They were cheap! I'll replace if they play a big role in my MPG loss. I'm really glad to be here as I DIY this car & re-claim my high MPG. I see lots of passion, but not much on DPF/EGR removal. I'd appreciate anyone pointing me to related posts.
Welcome aboard! (1) Check the Mk6 Golf Forum for more replies and searches. I would suggest getting DPF work done prior to any significant driving, as a failing system can cause numerous additional issues. (2) Ross Tech VCDS is the gold standard for diagnostics, and pays for itself quickly. (3) 225/45 is the stock size for OE 17" wheels, but many owners see better MPG with lighter LRR tires and wheels. Your FE loss is likely not the tires, but rather the emissions system failing- it needs to get addressed.
Oilhammer just started a thread which might be helpful:

TDI
2012 Golf 2 Dr. HB
Welcome aboard! (1) Check the Mk6 Golf Forum for more replies and searches. I would suggest getting DPF work done prior to any significant driving, as a failing system can cause numerous additional issues. (2) Ross Tech VCDS is the gold standard for diagnostics, and pays for itself quickly. (3) 225/45 is the stock size for OE 17" wheels, but many owners see better MPG with lighter LRR tires and wheels. Your FE loss is likely not the tires, but rather the emissions system failing- it needs to get addressed.
Oilhammer just started a thread which might be helpful:
Thanks so much! I will check that forum. Spent a few hours here today, learned about the Ross-Tech VCDS, which I'll get, and found many more posts on DPF/EGR removal. Sorry...deleting! Still can't figure out why the car world calls it a "delete!" I also spent time learning all these acronyms, and found a local mechanic here I'm asking about doing this work, or babysitting me while I do it. I'll look at LRR tires/wheels, too. Thanks again!

illinoisALH

TDI
2000 ALH Beetle
Moderator Note:

Newbies, this thread is more than a decade old! It started out as a HOW TO post, but you will now find an entire HOW TO thread with links galore here: HOW TO

Since its original inception, this thread has evolved into an introduction and welcome thread. Feel free to introduce yourself here and post a picture of your car. If you have a question, feel free to browse the TDI 101 section, one of the model-specific sections, or any one of the forums on our site. :cool:

There is also a SEARCH function so you can quickly find what you're looking for - there are a number of common questions/problems that have already been discussed that you may find interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think there should be a starter post for newbies to help answer many of their initial concerns. Here is a list that I came up with that many newbies have concerns about, or should be informed about:

Take some time and read through the TDIFAQ and the forums.

Consider the EGR modification:

Who has Vag-Com and where: (They are nice people, and can help with the EGR mod)

Read up on the Break-In period . This is important, and can save you many problems down the road!

How To Drive a Stick - Shifting Points

Most recommend that you DO NOT change your oil prior to 5,000 miles:
Do not change prior to 5,000
Do not change prior to 5,000

Diesel 101

Try to use Premium Diesel

Or better yet, try BIODIESEL

Can't get premium or biodiesel, consider adding an additive:

If you are experiencing "poor" mileage:

Another Poor Fuel Economy Post

Come to a GTG and meet your fellow TDI'ers, they can help you out.

Here is a picture of the TDI engine with many important components labeled:

Some general maintenance items:

GeWilli's How To Page
GeWilli's site has lots of good information including: relay 109, MAF analysis, bulb changing (harder than it sounds), any many more!!!

Link to Useful PDF's
This links to a post with a bunch of downloadable PDF files on some procedures.

More How To's

How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change

How to change the Fuel Filter

How to clean the Snowscreen
How to clean the Snowscreen

Testing Glow Plugs

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Intake Manifold Cleaning

MAF Failure Analysis

Some add-ons/modifications to consider:

Skidplate

Fumuto Valve

Ventectomy

Mufflerectomy

CCV Mod

Evry Mod

Custom Boost Gauge

How to Buy a Used TDI

Anyone else have something to add that all newbies should read up on? Are there better posts out there that I didn't include?

One last hint... scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the Favorite Thread link. This will add a link to your "My Home" so you always have a quick link to it.

Hi. Illinois guy with an ALH here to share knowledge and parts etc. Looking forward to the TDI madness!

Trihartsfield

TDI
1982 Westfalia (Will grow up to a TDI)
Just joined. Just purchased a 1983 VW Vanagon that had a 1.6 in it. It comes with a completely updated 1.9 AHU that I will be placing in the van. This forum looks like a good place for information.

Chris

Mk2Tyler

TDI
B4 passat
Hey y'all, not new to VW but I am new too TDI tuning. I recently bought a B4 Passat that once belonged to Fletcher0780. It has become a revival+improvement project with the ultimate goal of using it as my regular driver. Looking for someone who knows the 1z and tuning fairly well to kind of guide me on my learning curve

Mk2Tyler

TDI
B4 passat
Hey y'all, not new to VW but I am new too TDI tuning. I recently bought a B4 Passat that once belonged to Fletcher0780. It has become a revival+improvement project with the ultimate goal of using it as my regular driver. Looking for someone who knows the 1z and tuning fairly well to kind of guide me on my learning curve. Thanks in advance.

Zoran Freeman

TDI
Seat Ibiza 1.6 TDI 6kj Cayc
Thank you TDI Guys for this knowledge sharing forum, Had My Seat Ibiza sinse 2014. Their had bin som costly repairs. but now it moved from Denmark to Portugal,. So the salt can``t kill it. :cool:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hi. I’m new here! Picked up a one owner, and know the owner of the shop that did all the work, in February. Look forward to looking around here.
Welcome!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hi. I’m new here! Picked up a one owner, and know the owner of the shop that did all the work, in February. Look forward to looking around here.
You might find other TDI owners near you if you post your location more narrowly -- "United States" is rather unspecific, it's a big country.

Jonathan W

TDI
2000 Golf
Hey there I am Jonathan from BC, Canada. I am glad to have found this forum. Recently, I became the owner of a 2000 Golf TDI. Great little car so far! One question: on the overhead console (where you access the sunroof controls), there is a small 'door' you can flip down to face the windshield. Can anyone tell me what the function is of this 'door'? It seems to have a sensor built in...is it for headlight dimming or rain detection?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Hey there I am Jonathan from BC, Canada. I am glad to have found this forum. Recently, I became the owner of a 2000 Golf TDI. Great little car so far! One question: on the overhead console (where you access the sunroof controls), there is a small 'door' you can flip down to face the windshield. Can anyone tell me what the function is of this 'door'? It seems to have a sensor built in...is it for headlight dimming or rain detection?
Jonathan, welcome aboard! Your Mk4 Golf has a center sun visor above and in front of your rear view mirror. Nowadays you often see this area of glass has tint, or dots to reduce sun glare, but it was one of the little touches that made the Mk4 cabin a notch above many competitors. I'm not sure about the sensor- can you post a picture? Someone else will chime in.

Jonathan W

TDI
2000 Golf
Jonathan, welcome aboard! Your Mk4 Golf has a center sun visor above and in front of your rear view mirror. Nowadays you often see this area of glass has tint, or dots to reduce sun glare, but it was one of the little touches that made the Mk4 cabin a notch above many competitors. I'm not sure about the sensor- can you post a picture? Someone else will chime in.
Thanks for your response. I am unable to upload photos but the 'sensor' is the little area right in the middle of the 'door'. The 'door' usually faces towards the ceiling, but can be flipped down towards the windshield.