Question re: computer range calc

Heston84

TDI
MK7 Golf
Hi all, I have a 2015 Golf TDI S, the manual says the tank is 13.5 gallons, 12 gals with 1.5 reserve. My question is when the computer calculates the range does it account for the reserve fuel or omit that because it's reserve? May seem like a dumb question, but in my mind reserve means you don't account for it until you need it.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
You should be able to tell after a few fill ups what the computer perceives as reserve. If your low fuel light goes on and the computer says 50 miles to empty but the fill up only takes 12 gallons then the reserve is after the tank indicates empty. If it takes 13 gallons the reserve coincides with the gauge and low fuel warning. Or somewhere in between.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
x2, shouldn't take long to figure it out.

There is no "reserve", the tank capacity is the tank capacity. The light comes on when it gets to a point and it compares your estimated remaining range by the current trip fuel economy. Therefore it's range after the light comes on will vary tank by tank, trip by trip.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
x2, shouldn't take long to figure it out.

There is no "reserve", the tank capacity is the tank capacity. The light comes on when it gets to a point and it compares your estimated remaining range by the current trip fuel economy. Therefore it's range after the light comes on will vary tank by tank, trip by trip.
Dude! I thought you stayed within the narrow confines of moparts!

I'm Lenguevo over there right now after many vacations and bannings my name has changed a few times since 1999.

I'm really liking the Passat and have managed a few 30 mile trips above 64mpg according to the lie-o-meter which are closer to 60mpg in real life. Those high mpg trips are wiped out by the 80mph trips with the AC blowing high, 40-45mpg actual. I notice when I work nights the mpg in the warm 5pm temperature are 4 mpg higher than the cool 50 degree morning temp, same route, driven the same. This car likes warm/hot temperatures for fuel mileage.
See ya on the boards!