2001 ALH/1995 toyota tacoma 2wd swap

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
I acquired a project to swap an ALH into a 4x2 Tacoma. The diesel is out of the car and included a VERY complete wiring harness with ecu, cluster, fan control module, and really everything. I don't even know how they got all this stuff in tact. The 2.4 is missing from the truck along with its radiator, wiring harness and ecu. I have the transmission (w-59?) and a different bell housing that's supposed to let that transmission work with the acme adaptor kit. The acme kit appears complete and includes motor mounts for a samurai. Not sure if I have the alternator bracket or not, or if I need it at all. There is an intercooler included too. So far I know I'm missing an AC compressor, various AC components, plumbing for the turbo and intercooler, and the larger of the two electric fans from the cars radiator. I don't have a power steering pump but the truck is manual steering anyway. Not sure yet how the belt will work with or without the compressor and power steering pump or just without power steering. I'm no mechanic but I'm gonna give this swap a try anyway. I've already tied into the wiring harness and sent the ecu off to rocketchip. Today I started looking into the instructions from the included acme kit and already ran into a problem. The flywheel is missing from the TDI and the instructions clearly warn me that I had better locate and mark top dead center before I take it off or i'll never be able to find it again and probably the world will end. What do I do??? Any help would be appreciated, i'm not even afraid to haul this motor to someone else now to get a mark before I proceed.

Last edited:

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
If the original timing belt is still on you can turn the engine over until the pump can be pinned and the cam alignment tool can be inserted. That will give you a good indication that the crank is in the correct position, mark it and use it as a reference. That is the mark-and-pray method. I'm sure you will get some other suggestions shortly.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
1995 huh.? im starting in on a 1994 project soon.... just in the prelim. of assessing which things to start first. ..

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm doing a 2wd also and converted to manual steering, wanted to keep things simple

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Yeah I'm totally ok with it. Not sure on belt routing though. I could keep a ps pump and have hydraulics for something I guess? Hoping for AC but that's optional to me too. Guy that started this thought there would be clearance issues for the compressor, I hope not.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
I had clearance issues with the steering linkage, that's a big part of the reason to 'simplify' by ditching the PS pump and AC compressor. If the truck had AC already I would have found a way to mount the Toyota compressor on the passenger side. I had to notch my oil pan to clear the steering linkage, I have an AHU so that was easy. Have any pictures?

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
I'll have pictures soon. I want to post here all the way through. The truck does have AC but just not sure it's worth too many hours to get it together. The other thing I'm trying to figure out is if there's any way I could get cruise working. Truck didn't have it, it's cable up to the cluster. I don't know if there's a usable vss coming out of that cluster. I do have the parts from the cars steering column.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
You should be able to get cruise to work. You'll need to hook up the brake and clutch switches, there is an in-line VSS that can be used that hooks up to the speedo cable. If you are going to stick wit the stock size tired you might have to regear the rearend. I picked up a 3.07 axle

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Oh I'll have to look into that vss for the cable. He said he thought it would be low geared. I thought I'd get it running first and see. Is it about right with a 3.07 ratio? I'm still
on pause until I address the timing mark issue. I want to do all timing belt service before the motor goes in.

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Thank you. The little universal cable sensor would be easy. I like the idea. It's that or just some simple magnetic pick up sensor on anything turning. The cable sensor would be faster though.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh I'll have to look into that vss for the cable. He said he thought it would be low geared. I thought I'd get it running first and see. Is it about right with a 3.07 ratio? I'm still
on pause until I address the timing mark issue. I want to do all timing belt service before the motor goes in.
The 3.07 will drop my RPM from 2800 to 2300 @ 70MPH. Google 2PRS-TOY for the VSS sensor I was deferring to.
Is the timing belt still on the engine?

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Yeah the timing belt is still on. Guess I could find an original flywheel and bell housing just to make the marks and then get rid of them. Bet the shipping on them would be awesome though!

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah the timing belt is still on. Guess I could find an original flywheel and bell housing just to make the marks and then get rid of them. Bet the shipping on them would be awesome though!
Pin the pump and verify the cam alignment is spot on, if it is, it's reasonably safe to assume the crank is also spot on. Make some sort of reference marks

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
1995 huh.? im starting in on a 1994 project soon.... just in the prelim. of assessing which things to start first. ..
Well, seems like getting the wiring harness ready is a nice place to start. I don't completely understand it yet and I got pretty chop happy with the scissors the other day. Hopefully didn't butcher it too bad. I'm assuming i'll get the ecu back end of next week. I'll start it on the floor before I move on. I'm guessing i'll have to deal with the same firewall clearance issues jimbote had with his 96 4x4 tacoma. I'll start getting some measurements on that issue after the test start.

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
I have no reason to believe it is out of time now. It all looks untouched. I did a timing belt on my old 1.6 so I think I know what you mean by pinning the pump (i used a deep well socket). Does this happen at Top dead center on every rotation of the pumps pulley when everything is in time? That would be easy!

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, seems like getting the wiring harness ready is a nice place to start. I don't completely understand it yet and I got pretty chop happy with the scissors the other day. Hopefully didn't butcher it too bad. I'm assuming i'll get the ecu back end of next week. I'll start it on the floor before I move on. I'm guessing i'll have to deal with the same firewall clearance issues jimbote had with his 96 4x4 tacoma. I'll start getting some measurements on that issue after the test start.
It's easy to move the transmission forward 2" with a 2wd, only one driveshaft to worry about, may not even need to extend it. Then you can route exhaust over the top of the transmission, behind the head

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Found a thread on my timing issue. Sounds like there are marks on the front pulley. I'll take a closer look today. I haven't checked with my Bentley manual yet either, maybe something there.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
A simple drive shaft spacer will give you up to 2" without modifying the drive shaft.
I have done this on a couple of swaps with no long term problems.
The spacers are common in the 4X4 world and lots available for the Toyota.

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Here's the wiring harness and more the way it came to me

This is how it looks now, when i get the ECU back i'll start in really trying to identify some wires and cut it down even more. I'm just hoping I didn't chop anything too important. The pile at the top of the pic is what I've taken off so far plus the cluster and steering column. I know I need to go back to it to get the cruise control knob and plug going into it. Not sure what else I'll need from the scrap heap.

Last edited:

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
I had clearance issues with the steering linkage, that's a big part of the reason to 'simplify' by ditching the PS pump and AC compressor. If the truck had AC already I would have found a way to mount the Toyota compressor on the passenger side. I had to notch my oil pan to clear the steering linkage, I have an AHU so that was easy. Have any pictures?
steering looks really out of the way but I haven't measured anything yet.

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
ACME adaptor was easy. I had to take a couple guides or bushings out of two of the threaded holes for the original bell housing (not mentioned in the instructions). I also had to do just a little grinding for clearance.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
heath- did you acquire this project on craigslist? just wondering, I saw one for sale over your way that I drooled over a little bit.
There is also a "little known" mark on your crank pulley that may be of some help without the flywheel. Also a couple of dots on the sprocket. There is also the method of pulling glow plug #1 and sticking a thin dowel, wire or straw in to the piston to find the highest position (tdc). Do it with the valve cover off and watch the cam. I assume you have access to timing belt tools? you should be able to pin the pump, and lock the cam. Then you can be sure you are on

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
You bet. It's the Craigslist one. Traded my old golf in for it. I have timing tools on order from eBay. I did timing belt on the old 1.6 but I dont recall how I locked the cam and used a socket for the pump. I don't want to take chances with this one.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Good luck. I've owned lots of tdi's and a couple of tacoma's. One was a 1995.5 4x4. Coincidentally I sold it to another tdi'er in Chicago and did a timing belt for him as part of the deal on the tacoma. I've always thought the alh belongs in that truck. Anyway, you have all the resources you need here! I'm sure it'll be an awesome little truck when you are done!