B4 still losing coolant

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat 330k miles 2006 Jetta TDI
What would cause my car to push coolant out of the expansion tank reservoir? I have a new water pump. Would a bad thermostat cause this?

LLL

Veteran Member
TDI
'95 Red Passat TDI 90hp 5 manual
Would a coolant overfill cause this?

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
No. I put a towel under the reservoir. The towel was soaked with antifreeze. When it pushes it out The dash light flashes showing me it is low on fluid again. I fill it back up. It does the same thing. I though I had a line kinked but that didnt fix it. It has a new timing belt and water pump. It was doing this before the new pump also. It doesnt overheat. Its not a head gasket. I cant figure it out

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
When was the coolant last replaced?

Not a tstat issue. Possibly head gasket if nothing else.

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
Coolant was replaced when water pump and tbelt was done about 2 weeks ago. The car doesnt run hot and has never overheated but I also noticed that some of the heater lines dont get hot even after a 30min drive on the interstate. Seems like the coolant isnt circulating

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Are you able to squeeze the rad hoses when it's doing this? If your getting compression in the cooling system they'll be hard. Could your EGR cooler have a leak which would allow exhaust gas to push coolant out?

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
The lines are firm. How would I check for a EGR cooler leak?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Air pockets, is the bottom of the radiator getting hot?

If not then fill the radiator separately while squeezing the bottom hose so all of the air will get pushed out. I like to take the hose off the head and use it as a filler tube. I typically fill the engine with coolant and the first part of the radiator with coolant with the last bit being water so if I loose any it will be water. If you continue to have problems you could drill a tiny weep hole (smaller the better) in the thermostat, this will allow air to escape.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
The lines are firm. How would I check for a EGR cooler leak?
Pressure test, or maybe try to bypass it for diagnosis. You're not getting any steam/ White smoke from the tailpipe right? If WP, T-Stat, pressure cap ar all good and you're not overheating (yet) , prob headgasket. Clogged rad or air pockets would make it run hot before boiling over.

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a follow up. Wasn't showing white smoke from exhaust, wasn't overheating. Car was running fine. It had no milky oil, and no oil in coolant, it was just pushing coolant out of the reservoir. Pressure test showed too much pressure. Ended up being a blown head gasket

The Turtle

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4 Passat wagon, SpeedTuning chip, 360,000+ miles, 1996 B4V, 306,000 miles on original engine
That happens sometimes. It doesn't always suck into the combustion chamber (white smoke) but blowing stuff out the reservoir always makes me worry about head gaskets.