B4 Losing Coolant???

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
97 passat 330k miles 2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 97 Passat TDI. I'm losing coolant from somewhere. I cant find the leak. Just recently replaced timing belt and water pump. I have no oil in the coolant and no water in the oil and its not smoking so I dont think its the head gasket. It has never ran hot. I dont see any drips when its parked and running. It seems like I only lose it when its running down the road. Could it be a bad thermostat causing it to heat up and spew out the overflow? Help please

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
After driving the car for a while the warning light flashes showing that the coolant is low. If I remove the cap to put more coolant in the coolant sucks back up into the reservoir. Is this normal? Seems like the reservoir should be full when hot. I think its either a blockage somewhere in one of the lines or the Thermostat.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Did this leakage start after the t-belt,w-pump change?

How many times has it done this? I had to add a couple of quarts a few miles after my coolant was replaced recently.

How much coolant have you added?

The only thing you could have done is in the w-pump replacement - new gasket?

jcrad

Veteran Member
TDI
Following up. I checked all the coolant lines and noticed one lines going back to my WVO tank had a kink in it. I replaced the line and everying is fine now. No coolant loss and most important no bad head gasket. I guess the kinked line was causing the coolant to back up and spew out the reservoir overflow.