Alternator Issues

EMSi

TDI
Y2K Jetta
1st Q on this board. Bought a Y2K Jetta with 195,000 Km's on it and it has been good. Yesterday I was driving it and there was a bit of a jerk or hesitation similar to when the a/c clutch engages. Then the alternator light began to flash. This stayed this way for another 10 km's then another jerk and the light went out. Then another 3 km's and the light came back on. Haven't drove it since.

I did do some reading about a clutch on the alternator - 1st time I've ever heard of that before. Not too pumped about spending $1000.00 for a new alternator if it isn't required. I haven't measured the voltage at the battery either.

Great site BTW :)

Thoughts??

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
It sounds like the clutch pulley on the alternator has failed. It is a very common fault, and all the vendors found on this site will have new ones at modest prices. Special tools are needed to change the pulley, but you may find someone local who will help or lend the tools. In Canada the favourite source for parts is Roseland Technical Services in Nova Scotia. If you were to narrow down your location a bit it might be easier to find someone with the tools.

Paul