Does a ruined oil pan mean a ruined pump?

cocteau104

TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI Variant; 2002 Golf TDI 5-spd (RIP)
As I've been posting, my oil pan was brutally murdered by a manhole cover. The mechanic says he's concerned that the pump is bad as well. If the enging has barely been run, what's the likely hood? I saw undeer the car, and the oil pan is ruptured, but the itself is maybe not even an inch deep? What's the likelyhood that my pump was ruined, and should I trust the mechanic or might eh be trying to make a quick buck?>

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
If the pan is ripped off like there is no impact of the pan going inside the engine, then you are okay to replace only the pan. Based on what you said for the damage, this is your case.

If there was an impact going inside the engine like the pan was crushed like a soda can, then there could be more damage.

If you have pulled over and shut the engine off quick (not driving around with no oil) then there should be no damage to the oil pump. You mechanic is screwing you for more money.

cocteau104

TDI
This is depressing. When I got the car towed, we had to turn it on for about 20 seconds. I could hear some weird noise from the motor when that was done... it didnt sound like anything wsa broken; it sounded like my motor, but hoarser. I wonder if that's the sound of the inner working of the motor, only more audible due to the hole at the bottom of my motor? O rmaybe it was the sound of an oil pump sucking air? I don't want to be scared into spending hundreds of dollars I don't have. Any second or third or fourth opinions?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's fine. It has a good coating of syn oil to save it.

cocteau104

TDI
Well, they didn't call me with an estimate and when I called back they said they were done and had replaced the pan AND the pump. I haggled and they didn't charge me for the part itself, but I still payed for labor. i got screwed and I don't even know if it was really replaced, much less really needed. I told them I'll be in tomorrow to pick up the part and for them not to throw it in the garbage. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen becuase these *******s obviously aren't trustworthy. Furthermore, I don't know if they put in the right kind of oil so I guess I have to replace it myself once more. How can I tell if they used the proper oil?

cocteau104

TDI
They said they used synthetic, and I asked what weight and they didnt understand my english and I told them it's 5W-40 synthetic and he said he changed it once I picked it up. I don't believe that thing that's trying to pass as a mechanic, that's why I'm wondering if there's any magical way to figure it out myself. It was a quart low so I added the quart of proper oil in my trunk.

bungy42

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I'm sure part of it was that the mechanic was trying to make more money, but typically on any engine, the oil pump is such a huge pain to replace that if you have the oil pan off for any reason, you replace the pump as well. It's just preventive maintenance. Although he actually did the opposite of what I would expect. He should have charged you for the part but not the labor, since 99% or the labor involved in replacing an oil pump is taking off the oil pan. Once the pan is off, it's usually just a matter of unbolting the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the pump in place. I would definitely change the oil as soon as you get home. Or at least within the next week.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
Oil pans on these cars are a piece of cake. I can have it off in under 20 min.

Pump prob did not need to me replaced, but hey at least now you know you have a nice new pump!

did you have to replace an axel?? you thought you might in your last post.

Brian

cocteau104

TDI
Do I have a nice new pump? Or do I have one that was probably sloppily put in there by someone who doens't know TDIs? My pump wasnt old or anything? I'd rather have had the old one in there that was put in by a robot or some well payed German worker/guest worker. ANyway, they didn't give me an estimate and just did the work and I screamed and they didnt charge for the parts or labor. The axle was ruined from earlier. I got into an accident in June of '04 which ripped the right front wheel right off. After it got put back together it took a month before it popped out of the diff/tranny and it jsut got manhandled back in there. So i do believe that the inner CV joint was ruined. The funny thing is, after my car was first put together after the first accident, the car made the same noise as a rusty gate opening from the right front wheel. It's still makign that noise. So I think putting in the new axle was futile and I must've done some permanent or still unrepaired damage back in June of '04 if it's still making that noise. I can see that the axle rubbed against something when I look at it, but it doesn't rub hard at all. I just want my car to be new again.

cocteau104

TDI
bungy42 said:
I would definitely change the oil as soon as you get home. Or at least within the next week.
Unfortunatley I'm broke and can't change the oil for at least a week. I know it's synthetic but I know it's not the right weight; the engine just seems more clattery. If, however, it is regular mineral oil, isn't there some special procedure on emust follow when switching from regular oil to synthetic? I remember when I first bought my car and was reluctant to work on it myself and the dealer wanted $85 for an oil change, I told them to just put in regular. I then realized this was a mistake when the oil pressure light went on and switched it without flushing the engine or anything. I ahven't had any problems since... was i just lucky? What happens if this mystery oil sits in my poor little engine for more than a week?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
cocteau104: >>What happens if this mystery oil sits in my poor little engine for more than a week?<<

weedeater: >>Nothing.<<

As long as you don't run the engine, that is...

If you're strapped for cash, at least get the unknown oil out of there and put in some Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 from WalMart... Especially if you're planning to drive out to Ohio... you don't want to mess up either your rings or your turbo...

Yuri.

bungy42

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
ymz said:
cocteau104: >>What happens if this mystery oil sits in my poor little engine for more than a week?<<

weedeater: >>Nothing.<<

As long as you don't run the engine, that is...

If you're strapped for cash, at least get the unknown oil out of there and put in some Shell Rotella-T 5W-40 from WalMart... Especially if you're planning to drive out to Ohio... you don't want to mess up either your rings or your turbo...

Yuri.
Nah, it'll be fine. It won't explode under the hood if you put the wrong oil in. And there's no special procedure for switching from dino oil to synthetic. Just drain one and put in the other.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
I would check teh # 1 cam bearing cap too if it is scored it may be teh sound in your engine i have fixed a few tdis that had a bad oil pan accident 75% of them had a scored # 1 cam bearing area..one car was running and sounded fine but the whole cam bearing areas was chewed up and th ecam was very very baddly worn..i had to chaneg th ehead and th ecam shaft to fix that one... so most peopel who hole the oil pan . fix the pan and keep on driving . id would cheack the cam bearing caps...
thanks
deo