'96 jetta diesel leaking Injection Pump

kevin mott

TDI
1996 Jetta TDI
Hi, i have a 96 jetta GL, which has the VE injection pump on it. I just got the car and so far its working very well. The only problem i have noticed is a diesel smell the other day, and after inspection, fuel seems to be leaking from the top of the pump. It looks to be leaking around where the thottle is controlled, so im thinking the seal at the bottom of the shaft that rotates. If you dont understand what im talking about, its the part on the injection pump that rotates when you press the gas pedal down.
Is it possible to replace this seal without too much difficulty?
Thanks in advance, kevin m.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
FWIW, the correct term is the Quantity Adjuster.

I'll also note that your car is not a TDI, but rather a 1.9L indirect injection turbodiesel.

You might contact Superior Fuel Injection in Markham - they're rather well regarded in the IDI circles for rebuilding pumps (and doing performance tuning while they're in there.)

Alternately, I believe there are kits on eBay that give you the easiest to replace seals on that pump, and I think the quantity adjuster seal is included. However, you're dealing with precision components that are almost impossible to reset properly if you mess up even slightly.

kevin mott

TDI
1996 Jetta TDI
Thank you for your reply. I understand that my car is not a TDI, is there another forum which i should be posting in? or is this site mainly for tdi's. If so is there any resources for indirect injection engines?

Another idea i have as far as the leak is concerned.. I make my own fuel in the warmer weather, and had good luck running 100 percent biodiesel in my 94 dodge ram diesel. Is there any chance that getting some biodiesel through this pump would help re-seal the leak. From reading i have done, biodiesel will cause seals to expand.
Thought it might be worth a try before getting too carried away, since it isnt causing any problems yet.

kevin m.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It would be a temporary fix at best.

I've found that http://vwdiesel.net has tons of resources for the older IDI engines, although they're more performance oriented. There's also VWvortex, but they're much more gasser oriented.