chip, bigger injectors & clutch?

thekdxkid

Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 5speed Jetta TDI that has a Wett chip but is otherwise stock. I'm very pleased with the increase in hp & torque but am eager for more. Seems like the easiest way to achieve this is with larger injector nozzles. My question is this...what size injectors should I go to & will this definitely require a stronger clutch? Where is the threshold of the clutch's limits? It seems that if I want the extra power, I will probably have to spend the extra bucks on a new clutch. That looks like it'll get pretty pricey. Any suggestions or alternatives?

Thanks

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I would recomend that you get the PP520 nozzles(.205) and a stock VR6 clutch for the following reasons:

1. To go up to the .216 injectors you would realistically have to lower the compression in your motor which is gonna cost you a few bucks for sure. The .205 injectors can be added with no significant issues other then changing the fuel and EGR settings with a Vag-Com.

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a stock VR6 clutch is supposed to be good for over 200hp at the wheel... this being said you don't need to spend lots of money on an aftermarket clutch such as Sachs, Centerforce, etc...

*SIDENOTE* You would be smartest to get the injectors first and see how your stock clutch handles the incrested hp and torque. Then if you find that it's slipping, then invest in a new clutch!

This is what I would do.
Just my $0.02.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
If you get larger injectors, expect smoke. With .216s, LOTS of smoke. There is a core member here running .216s very successfully paired with his stock ECU. You won't have to lower compression with them. Most 5sp users go with an injector such as the Bosch .205 or PP520 nozzle from Kerma. For the record, IIRC the Bosch .205 actually measures .190 and the PP520 is .215. Many have had clutch slip with the chip alone. Adding injectors on top of it will pretty much guarantee you will need a clutch at some point. Lots of people are still running stock clutches w/chip and injectors. It depends on how you drive the car. One thing is pretty much a given, your clutch life will be shortened. How much? Depends...

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
FlyTDI Guy said:
If you get larger injectors, expect smoke. With .216s, LOTS of smoke. There is a core member here running .216s very successfully paired with his stock ECU. You won't have to lower compression with them. Most 5sp users go with an injector such as the Bosch .205 or PP520 nozzle from Kerma. For the record, IIRC the Bosch .205 actually measures .190 and the PP520 is .215. Many have had clutch slip with the chip alone. Adding injectors on top of it will pretty much guarantee you will need a clutch at some point. Lots of people are still running stock clutches w/chip and injectors. It depends on how you drive the car. One thing is pretty much a given, your clutch life will be shortened. How much? Depends...
Sorry I forgot to mention about the .216 injectors that if you have a stock ECU then small Vag-Com modifications are all you will need to make, you will not have to lower the compression of the motor - that is only necessary if you have a chiped ECU.

Sorry for any confusion.

thekdxkid

Ok so pretty much a given that if I'm going with a chip & bigger injectors then I'll need to have money set aside for a clutch as well. Does it make sense to wait until there is serious slippage to do the clutch? Also, will I be able to get the smoke issue sorted out with Vag-com adjustments? My Jetta smokes some now with the chip if I step into it hard. Anybody near Rochester, New York with Vag-com? I would like to check things out now anyways. Also, what kind of hp/torque numbers will I be looking at with a Wett chip & PP520 injectors?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make my decision with the best available information.

Thanks guys.