2006 Jetta TDI TPMS Problems

pgde

TDI
Hi All:

Several weeks ago, my TPMS light came on and started to blink. This means one or more of the sensors has malfunctioned. So I took it to Costco and they replaced the sensor successfully. A week later the light came back on. Returned to Costco and they said a second sensor had malfunctioned. Based on some research I have done on this issue, the sensors have a life span of between 9-10 years. So, I told them to replace all the other sensors. Since that time, my TPMS light has been on, even though pressures are correct. Since I have VAGCOM, I followed to the detail, the "relearning" procedures posted on their site. No luck. According to Costco, for some reason the Jetta is not recognizing the new ones. Based on their meter, all are broadcasting fine.

So, before I go back to Costco and argue about a refund, does anybody have any suggestions? Where is the TPMS reception point on the car? And, here is a cut and paste from the VAGCOM log:

Address 65: Tire Pressure Labels: 3C0-959-433-65.lbl
Part No SW: 1K0 959 433 CD HW: 1K0 959 433 CD
Component: RDK 0420
Revision: 00051000 Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 0100101
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 74EC5B7A17D4B5E1F7-8020

1 Fault Found:
01521 - Sensor for Tire Pressure
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100100
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 7
Reset counter: 137
Mileage: 130516 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 09:54:50

Many thanks for any help or insight you can provide!

Peter

TDiesel06

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
If you clear the code, does it return immediately?

Bentley Manual: Tires and wheels, changing (vehicles with tire pressure monitoring)

If wheels are changed (i.e. from summer to winter tires). The tire pressure monitoring control module (J502) must first be in learning mode before it can automatically detect wheel electronics. The vehicle must stand still for 20 minutes for the system control module (J502) to go into learning mode. (It doesn't say anything about key off/on/run/ engine running.) If not adhered to the system will recognize a malfunction.

Once the control module is in learning mode, the wheel electronic identification numbers are automatically recognized and read by the control module when speed exceeds 15 mph.

Last edited:

pgde

TDI
HI TD06 -- many thanks for the quote. Well, something strange is going on -- the TPMS light now comes on intermittently. When it does come on, it blinks then goes solid. And if I clear the error when it is on, yes, it comes back on immediately. If the light isn't on, it doesn't write an error. So, I was wondering if it could be an antenna issue. But nobody seems to know where the antennae are. According to Costco techs (they checked the sensors with a special meter they have), all 4 are transmitting normally. For instance, this morning, the light was on. After driving across down (about 40 minutes), the light went off by itself and is now off. I haven't had time to VAGCOM it to see if there is an error shown.

Does the Bentley manual show the antenna locations? Perhaps one is loose?

Regards and have a great weekend!

P.

TDiesel06

TDI
2006 Jetta Special Edition
The manual is very vague on details regarding TPMS. I perceive the blinking as scanning for input and the solid is malfunction. Did Costco install the correct frequency TPMS wheel sensors? For disclosure, I disabled my TPMS (regulations made it mandatory in 2007) and check my pressures bi-weekly.

I've followed through information in this page at Ross tech to familiarize with TPMS
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...ion-reset-and-disable-coding-with-VCDS-mk6-VW

Also maybe this is accurate on post #6
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?1860-TPMS-Information&highlight=TPMS

It says "Left windshield A pillar. Same antenna as used by the central locking and anti theft system."

sdeabs

TDI
2006 Jetta MKV TDI - total loss 08/20/2013, 2010 Jetta MKV TDI
Having the same problem with 2010 MkV. Unable to clear fault code 01521. VCDS control module 65 reports sensors "not recognized". Neither wake up or relearn procedure successful. Anyone have a suggestion??

Have been swapping between OEM wheels with winter tires and after market wheels with summer tires for many years without any learning problems. Just bought a set of Interlago rims and after approximately 5 miles the tire pressure warning light came on. It flashes on start up then remains steady. Unable to wake up sensors on new wheels. Yes they have sensors and they are new sensors so shouldn't be battery life. Does anyone now a trick to wake up sensors??

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Our '06 Jetta Diesel Edition had a tpms issue recently. My son did a little google research and found a recommendation to over-inflate each wheel (45-50psi) then deflated to normal. Codes gone.

No cost solution, hope it works for you. John