Hissing/leaking EGR cooler fixed!

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Forget the bushings and forget that stupid valve period. Call Frank06 and ask him how to fix your EGR cooler for good. You'll thank me later.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Banshee,

It is Franko6. not Frank Zero Six, but thank you for your vote of confidence.

I just found this post. If someone really wants a EGR that already has a bushing built and installed, I will be happy to sell it. How about $125, exchange...I want your core back.

On the other hand, we fix the BRM EGR coolers so that it is never a problem again. We will warranty that.

There are several changes we make, but one that is very cool, are stainless steel gaskets that clamp into position on the inlet and outlet of the EGR cooler. Anyone who has done this job has to wonder why in the world they applied a fiber gasket on the manifold side of the EGR cooler, only to have it disintegrate. Instead of replacing it with the same, our kit has 'clip on' stainless steel gaskets that stay put when trying to get bolts through the holes. We use them on both difficult positions for mounting the EGR cooler. We also have similar SS gaskets for the manifold to EGR cooler pipe and provide a plug for the vacuum pipe to complete the kit. Kit cost depends partially on the integrity of your existing SS gaskets. We find that almost all SS gaskets are entirely reusable, and recommend they be reused in many cases.

We have an exchange program and accept cores that are usable for our purposes. It is the cheapest and most effective repair and causes no known issues with the vehicle, nor does our repair create any codes or issues with EPA rules or regulations in any state. We guarantee our product lifetime against defects in workmanship. We cover for all other causes for 4 years, unlimited mileage.

Having done this job dozens of times in our shop, we suggest some other parts and pieces while you are at it. Check the double water hose that goes to the heater core that it is not degraded from oil dripping from the plastic outlet elbow on the turbo. The turbo has a tendency to leak very hot oil directly onto the heater hoses, which can cause them to swell and burst. We recommend a repair for the turbo elbow and a protection for the heater hoses to completely cure the hose degradation issue.

Call, email or PM me for details.

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
In case someone is interested, we do have two EGR's that were repaired by using the brass bushing method.

Also, it is our interest to purchase several used BRM EGR coolers. We do need a device that is in decent shape except for the butterfly valve shaft, which we fix. So, if you have a replaced BRM EGR cooler laying around and want money for it, I'm your guy.

Check to be sure it is acceptable. Send a pictures to our email of the long arm going to the EGR cooler, that it is not damaged or broken and that the two end flanges are not corroded. We will make cash offers for your junk.

Cparking

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Egr delete

Hello I'm new to this page and I've been reading a lot about the bad EGR cooler and I had the same symptoms and I saw where it was leaking so I've decided to egr delete so do I need that tune when I egr delete it or can I drive it for a little while without the tune?

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Those who have made the brass bushing fix, I have been waiting for one of those fixes to show up in my shop. It did last week. The brass bushing wore out and honestly, I don't know how long it took; only that it happened.

Our fix does not wear out and there are no emissions issues, no CEL or any other negative issues.

Cparking,

We don't really have any personal issue if someone wants to delete an EGR, but in NY, there are a few reasons I would consider our fix.

1. It's permanent and
2. In your cold winter climate, the EGR cooler is actually an engine heater. It helps the engine warm up.
3. It will pass emission testing.