Fuel Efficiency '04 VW Jetta TDI Wagon

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hey Guys, new to forum wanted to get input on my new '04 TDI Wagon.

I recently was gifted a wagon from my father he upgraded to a '17 golf wagon and wanted to keep the TDI in the family. I picked the car up in Buffalo, New York and drove it back to Richmond, Va. About a 500 mile trip. The wagon has stage 1.5 Malone tuning.

I took it to the shop in Richmond, where I had been having my '99.5 VW Jetta AEG serviced, to get the Va State inspection.

Was told that I had to get the intercooler replaced and the valve cover was split - $1500 repair. He said he replaced the intercooler with a Behr intercooler which is better than the stock one, and will never break, as that is a problem with the stock PD TDI intercoolers.

Since then I have noticed a significant decrease in mpg. Driving back from Buffalo, I calcualted 47 mpg (I guess with the bad interooler and cracked head gasket). Since having that work done I am getting about 34 mpg. Obviously there is a bit more city driving and sitting at stop lights, but that seems like a huge decrease. I checked with my dad and he said that he routinely got 40s city and 50s highway (which was confirmed by my buffalo trip).

When I checked back in with my mechanic he said that he had a hard time believing that a chipped diesel would get that type of gas mileage (40-50 mpg).

TL:DR
New to me '04 jetta wagon stage 1.5 Malone tuning, had inter-cooler and valve cover replaced by mechanic and noticed significant decrease in gas mileage from 47mpg to 34 mpg. What would be causing this?

Thanks Guys!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The stage 1.5 chip is normally targeting fuel economy.
I might suspect it's not timed correctly. Interweb Guess.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the original (Valeo) intercooler was leaking a little, it could have caused a less-than-ideal air charge which could have resulted in less fueling, and thus better MPGs.

That is just a guess. I've never seen the Valeo ones outright fail, but I have seen a lot of them have an issue where over time the cooling duct rubs holes across the front of the core. The ALHs rarely do this, despite being essentially the same basic design. If you trim a couple mm of plastic off the duct, they won't ever do that.

I would go through the checklist in my sticky in the Fuel Economy section, and make sure that is all good.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
$1500 for a valve cover and intercooler?

I'm in the wrong business....

Valve cover list price is $246.67

Labor to R&R is .7hr

Intercooler list price $326.64

Labor to R&R is 1.4hr

So yeah, $1500 does seem pretty high. I'd be curious of what the parts/labor breakdown is on that one, too.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too have a Malone stage 1.5 with Dynamic EGR and recently a VNT delete. The last one is for the turbo actuator. I've been averaging 41mpg, mostly urban driving.

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'll dig up the record for parts and label and post when i get home feom work. I kinda felt a little bit like I was being taken through the ringer. Especially because my dad had been having his car serviced at a TDI recommended mechanic in Toronto.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
You gotta try to find a qualified TDI mechanic. I looked in the trusted list but nothing close to you is reported. Those prices do sound a bit off, especially now with whatever is happening with your mileage.

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yeah, I am in dire straights here in Richmond with my TDI. Now I am having electrical issues where my brakes and running lights have gone out. I took it up to same guy paid 100 bucks to be told that I just needed 2 bulbs swapped (which i could've done, but was told hey we put the "german dual filiament ones in"). One the way home that night I get pulled over because guess what, no brake lights and no night indicator lights either.

Anyone know where I good place to take this too in or near Richmond Va would be? I dont know enough to keep it up myself and I cant afford to be paying this much for something I cant drive.