Timing belt broke

rickrwh

TDI
2003 Jetta
My timing belt broke and I haven't pulled the head and looked at the damage yet. What kind of work am I looking at? And what about approximate cost if I take it to a TDI mechanic? The car has 240k on it and I'm just about done with it. Thanks for any advice.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
It is hard to answer without more details. But don't panic yet.
People have broken timing belts with no other damage. Unlikely but not impossible.
Resist any urge to turn the engine over.
First take off the valve cover and look for signs of damage to the cam and lifters.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I can assure you that it would have been a lot cheaper to replace the belt than to let it fail and smash valves.

Bare minimum the head needs to come off and valves replaced, it won't be cheap.

If the cam and crank are no longer in time, then you didn't get lucky with no other damage.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
My timing belt broke and I haven't pulled the head and looked at the damage yet. What kind of work am I looking at? And what about approximate cost if I take it to a TDI mechanic? The car has 240k on it and I'm just about done with it. Thanks for any advice.
Was it due for the timing belt? How long have you owned the car?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Sorry to hear about it. Interference valves are not forgiving. It is a hard lesson. If you do some of the work yourself, you may keep the cost down somewhat. If the car is otherwise in good shape it might be worth the investment. All else OK, you should still have another 100k or more in front of it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sell it here as is, some one will gladly come get it. If it is in otherwise decent shape (aside from the obvious neglect), it can be put back into service and likely still outlast just about anything else.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Virginia is a HUGE state! So, where in VA are you located?

rickrwh

TDI
2003 Jetta
Was it due for the timing belt? How long have you owned the car?
I'm not sure. Probably.

I inherited the car from my mother who passed away around 2 years ago. I only put maybe 4 or 5 thousand miles on it. She didn't keep good records so I don't know when the belt was changed last.

rickrwh

TDI
2003 Jetta
Sell it here as is, some one will gladly come get it. If it is in otherwise decent shape (aside from the obvious neglect), it can be put back into service and likely still outlast just about anything else.
This is probably the route I'm headed. The car wasn't taken care of the last few years of it's life and I've already spent a bunch of time and money on getting it together. The timing belt was next on the list to do but I obviously didn't get to it in time.

rickrwh

TDI
2003 Jetta
Sorry to hear about it. Interference valves are not forgiving. It is a hard lesson. If you do some of the work yourself, you may keep the cost down somewhat. If the car is otherwise in good shape it might be worth the investment. All else OK, you should still have another 100k or more in front of it.
So how much can I tell about damage with just removing the valve cover? I took it off and don't see anything obvious. I'm guessing the head has to come off to reveal the truth....

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
So how much can I tell about damage with just removing the valve cover? I took it off and don't see anything obvious. I'm guessing the head has to come off to reveal the truth....
Yes, head has to come off. It can be a lot - timing belt and tensioners/rollers, rebuild the head if valves damaged. If pistons are cracked, then forget it if you're looking to save money.

I'd have the guys at Import Garage (now owned by Bill and Glenn's shop) in Winchester check it out. (540) 662-6370 They are very good with VW's in general and have a few TDI's they personally own.

PD Autowerks, just a few blocks away, is excellent as well, but he he has gotten more into BMWs and race support.