BHW to 85 Golf...

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
So I recently picked up a 04 passat tdi with the 2.0 BHW in it the trans is trashed, turbo needed rebuilt, ordered the BS delete kit from kerma with ALH oil pump, all new water pump and timing belt and tensioners as well. The car was originally going to be my wifes daily driver but she needs a daily quicker then we can get a trans and all the other stuff needed to do a 5spd swap so we bought her another 2002 jetta tdi lol. SSSOOOOO I got the 2.0 BHW for my 85 Golf.. I havent found anyone thats done a BHW into an MK2 Golf at all. So i guess we'll see how it goes.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
So I recently picked up a 04 passat tdi with the 2.0 BHW in it the trans is trashed, turbo needed rebuilt, ordered the BS delete kit from kerma with ALH oil pump, all new water pump and timing belt and tensioners as well. The car was originally going to be my wifes daily driver but she needs a daily quicker then we can get a trans and all the other stuff needed to do a 5spd swap so we bought her another 2002 jetta tdi lol. SSSOOOOO I got the 2.0 BHW for my 85 Golf.. I havent found anyone thats done a BHW into an MK2 Golf at all. So i guess we'll see how it goes.
Assuming you stick to the Passat format of turbo and not a Golf / Jetta format. This should be pretty much a "non-event" for the bolt up as the MK2 mounts will all work just fine.

My sincere advice is NOT to use the 020 transmission, but to get one from a MKIII Jetta TDI (02A) or a MK4 Jetta TDI transmission (02J) and use the 02A mount. Cable shifter is pretty simple to install.

Pedal assembly from a B4 Passat is a bolt in, so that takes care of the DBW accelerator pedal and the hydraulic clutch.

Only thing left is the wiring - let me know if you need someone to do that for you!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
You may want to double check that rear passenger's side motor mount. I do not think the mk3 (subframe) mount will work with the VNT turbo, whereas the mk4 golf/jetta mount will, but that has to be welded to the mk2 body.

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
You may want to double check that rear passenger's side motor mount. I do not think the mk3 (subframe) mount will work with the VNT turbo, whereas the mk4 golf/jetta mount will, but that has to be welded to the mk2 body.
Like I said above, if the Passat manifold / turbo is retained, the mount will fit. My son's 1991 Jetta Coupe has a BHW manifold, BV43 turbo and the stock motor mount.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Assuming you stick to the Passat format of turbo and not a Golf / Jetta format. This should be pretty much a "non-event" for the bolt up as the MK2 mounts will all work just fine.
My sincere advice is NOT to use the 020 transmission, but to get one from a MKIII Jetta TDI (02A) or a MK4 Jetta TDI transmission (02J) and use the 02A mount. Cable shifter is pretty simple to install.
Pedal assembly from a B4 Passat is a bolt in, so that takes care of the DBW accelerator pedal and the hydraulic clutch.
Only thing left is the wiring - let me know if you need someone to do that for you!

So you're saying use all the mounts from the mk2 gasser? The current car both are automatics so that will be changed over to a 5spd.

Hasenwerk

TDI
So you're saying use all the mounts from the mk2 gasser? The current car both are automatics so that will be changed over to a 5spd.
Passenger mount and front mount are MK2 and the fit with the Passat Turbo / 02J transmission.

Driver mount is a 02A transmission mount from a MK3 Jetta that is attached to the 02J transmission.

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Got ya, how far have you come on that little black box you were working on for the cabrio to ignite the k led's?

Hasenwerk

TDI
Got ya, how far have you come on that little black box you were working on for the cabrio to ignite the k led's?

Yes sir - CAN2DASH been available for over a year now.
http://fastforward.ca/signalprocessors/default.html#CAN2DASH

This will give you K29 and K83 plus a tachometer output that is compatible with both ECU and coil driven tachometers (like your Golf has). The tachometer is also selectable between 4-6-8 cylinder operation. For a little additional I can make a custom unit that has a dial so that you can calibrate your tachometer. My son's MK2 Jetta has a 7K gas tachometer, but we put a 4.5K Diesel face plate on it and "dialed" it in.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
You also need a passat vr6 front cross member for the front motor mount

Hasenwerk

TDI
You also need a passat vr6 front cross member for the front motor mount
Really?

We used the 1991 MK2 and had to so an ever so small bit of grinding to the front mount where the starter bolts go in?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat/SLC front crossmember (must use a Vr6 style motor mount) Mk3 will NOT work at ALL - G60ing

But if your method worked that's good! Getting harder to find those in the yards now adays.

Hasenwerk

TDI
Passat/SLC front crossmember (must use a Vr6 style motor mount) Mk3 will NOT work at ALL - G60ing

But if your method worked that's good! Getting harder to find those in the yards now adays.
Did this to an 86 GTI and then the 91 Jetta using the original mounts. I guess we're just good at thinking outside the box! :)

89vr6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 base
Did this to an 86 GTI and then the 91 Jetta using the original mounts. I guess we're just good at thinking outside the box! :)

Think I'll go with the grinding method there's not a whole lot for VW parts in north east Ohio. I'll most likely be ordering your black box as well and I think I'm gonna try to do the wiring on this one myself engine harness wise. You made the one for my old 88 yota 4runner alh swap and it didn't seem to extremely complicated. I just didn't have the time when I had you guys make the last one lol

Hasenwerk

TDI
Here's the mount I did for my son's car (1991 Jetta MK2 Coupe). I re-visited this area yesterday as the starter died and was replaced. We also replaced the mount due to a crack.

The only grinding required is a little bit of a clearance for the crank position sensor. Then we welded an M10 nut to the side of it so that it will have three attachment points. Originally we didn't have this nut and it was cracking due to no triangulation. The mount has M10 captive nuts and you can see here we used studs to make the bolts as we didn't have any 170mm M10 bolts. The MK4 is M12, but seeing how the MK2 is M10 we went with this instead of M12 so that we wouldn't have to mod the mount to have M12 bolts. This isn't going anywhere!

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
I as well just picked up a BHW Passat with a trashed transmission. For the tune of $500 and the engine doesnt skip a beat I figured it was a good investment. I looked into the TCM water leak issues, did the fix to no avail. The trans was knocked out from long term TCM issues. So ive been looking to swap the BHW into a mk2/3. I have a spare 02a trans, pedal cluster from a a3 TDI car, and can pick up an exceptionally clean mk3 Jetta GT shell for $100. In the incredibly rare burn orange color. From the reading I've done hear the hardest part of this swap with be paying for the tune for IMMO defeat and wiring it all up. Are these correct assumptions?