www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old September 27th, 2017, 13:25   #286
truman
Veteran Member

Kansa City is even worse for driving behavior
Columbia sucks too
I have been passed on the right shoulder on I70 a few times in the last year
truman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 13:31   #287
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
I have driven around St. Louis. Too many people don't understand the concept of keep right, pass left. Way too many left lane campers.
Truth. Funny, my morning commute on I44, I get in the right lane, like I am supposed to do, and I do occasionally signal, move left, pass, signal, move right, to pass someone. But I pass more people by just staying in the right lane. Left lane campers, center lane campers, etc. Sometimes I make silly faces at them as I pass.
Old September 27th, 2017, 15:35   #288
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20IndigoBlue02 View Post
I have driven around St. Louis. Too many people don't understand the concept of keep right, pass left. Way too many left lane campers.
Big problem in Ontario too. Quebec is somewhat better in that regard. If you exaggeratedly stay in the left lane blocking traffic, you WILL get pulled over if a cop is around. Though I haven't seen it recently. Few people do it now. In the past, very often, someone would pull out to pass at a sane speed (say 120), having looked and seen nobody coming in their line of sight, when some jerk doing 140+ suddenly is on their tail, lights flashing. Though this too has toned down in recent years. Doing it now can get you an aggressive driving charge. And cell phones have helped a lot. You're encouraged (hands-free of course) to call in dangerous driving. Once I was being tailgated by a semi on the autoroute. There was no way out. A slower-moving pick-up pulling a large trailer was blocking the fast lane and other traffic in the right lane. The semi was so close I couldn't even see his bumper, and he periodically flashed his lights. After it was safe to pull over, I noted the name of the company on the cab of the tractor, it was a local gravel pit operator. I called the police, and gave them the info. When I got home a nice officer called me and said that they had a chat with the company's owner, and the owner in turn chewed out his driver reminding him whose name was on the side of the truck. The cop asked if I wanted to press charges. I declined, I told the officer that I'm sure his uncomfortable time with his boss taught him a good enough lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I got a chuckle out of your comment about not being responsible for other peoples' stress, only your own. I agree that driving with common sense is good, but never assume that something you are or are not doing isn't causing someone else stress. I'm sure the doofuses driving around with ignorant bright lights on, and another set of fog lights on just to be cool, have no idea they are stressing people out either.
I've heard it said that in a monastery, there will always be at least one other monk that drives you crazy, and if no monk is driving you crazy you can be assured that you're driving at least one other monk crazy

That said there's only so much one can do. If someone on my butt gets worked up because I'm "only" doing 95 in a 90 zone, or I'm doing 80 because the car ahead is doing 80 and there's no safe place to pass, then it really is his craziness, all I can do is try to keep him from hitting me. This is deer country, and there's no guarantee I won't have to brake suddenly and hard to avoid one, especially at this time of the year when they're on the move, and at night (which is also why I have HIDs on my car).

We're all human and make mistakes sometimes, most, I hope, inadvertently. Some folks are just inherently bad drivers, like people who systematically signal their turn after they're half way into it, and there are some people who just don't give a hoot. Best is that one doesn't set one's expectations too high on the road, i.e. drive defensively.

I also avoid driving in packs like the plague. I don't like my safety being determined by the worst driver in the pack.

Oddly enough I've never ended up with opaque headlights or tons of stone chips on my hood...
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record

Last edited by PlaneCrazy; September 27th, 2017 at 15:40.
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:16   #289
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: $10,457 per TB change

I was trying to force a regen in my car recently on 270 for many miles at 64mph so 5th would be at about 2050 rpm. EVERYONE passed me.

Do you have a MK6 Jetta SEDAN? (2011-2015) Contribute to our mileage thread here! Over 70 cars and 3.5 million miles of data!
Dozenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 04:33   #290
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozenspeed View Post
I was trying to force a regen in my car recently on 270 for many miles at 64mph so 5th would be at about 2050 rpm. EVERYONE passed me.
I distinctly remember one morning on northbound 270 when I was 10+ over the limit and a certain cab went past me.... (BTW, it was by far the nicest looking cab I have ever seen ).
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:48   #291
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
Columbia sucks too
I don't have too many complaints about the KCMO area for driving
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:52   #292
dogdots

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by truman View Post
Columbia sucks too
Nope, St. Louis takes the cake for stressful driving for me. Actually I detest the trip between KC and STL, the entire route is like rush hour, compounded by semi's pulling out to pass as they approach long steep inclines

STL drivers do tend to exceed the speed limit by 20+ regularly, coming back from Atlanta a couple of weeks ago I buzzed through downtown STL where the speed limit is 55, I was driving 80 and was the slowest vehicle on the road.

The best busy highway driving I have found is through Ohio, with 3 lanes each direction and rules to keep vehicles with more than 6 tires out of the left most lane. I-44 isn't too bad between Tulsa and STL, until you approach Pacific, where the traffic starts clogging up approaching 141 and I-270.
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:57   #293
dogdots

TDI(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy View Post
....Big problem in Ontario too. In the past, very often, someone would pull out to pass at a sane speed (say 120), having looked and seen nobody coming in their line of sight, when some jerk doing 140+ suddenly is on their tail, lights flashing. Though this too has toned down in recent years. Doing it now can get you an aggressive driving charge....

All those billboards on the QEW stating that 50km over the speed limit = $10,000 fine and car impound definitely deter me from speeding when I am in Canada
Old September 28th, 2017, 06:09   #294
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I've found the worst two places to drive in the states are anywhere on I-95 and I-75 coming into Atlanta from the south. It's three lanes most of the state. Right lane is mostly campers and semis mixing with entering and exiting traffic. Left lane is everyone wanting to run at least 15 mph over the posted limit. Middle lane is the suicide lane. You're either coming from the slow lane while trying to avoid the idiots dumping out of the past lane, or you're the idiot dumping out of the fast lane and having to brake for someone doing about 20 mph slower than you.
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:15   #295
atc98002
Veteran Member

Oh come on. Have you never driven the DC Beltway (I-495)? What a horror, especially for me being an out of towner and not knowing my way around. It's just nuts around here. After having dinner with my son-in-law in Tyson's Corner, it took me an hour to go 15 miles to my hotel in Chantilly. And that's at a little after 6PM, when most rush hours are starting to subside.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:18   #296
Dozenspeed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: $10,457 per TB change

Quote:
(BTW, it was by far the nicest looking cab I have ever seen ).
Sober customer in daylight guessed <95k mi on the odometer just this morning. People don't believe 339k mi on front brake pads is possible either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdots View Post
Nope, St. Louis takes the cake for stressful driving for me.

STL drivers do tend to exceed the speed limit by 20+ regularly, coming back from Atlanta a couple of weeks ago I buzzed through downtown STL where the speed limit is 55, I was driving 80 and was the slowest vehicle on the road.
I heard Atlanta was 80-90 routinely. Morning is worst here. I've had pick-ups fly up on me at 85 in the wet, even when I leave the hammer lane open for them. Or, what really ticks me off is waiting for some pleabean doing five under in the left lane who refuses to move no matter how many go around on the right and cut them off. I'm usually the guy in the middle, trying to give them a reasonable chance to do the right thing while losing position from endless right-side passers.

I-70 in the city (or as I call it, "the gangsta's raceway") is a real meat grinder. Usually I have to weave between those going 50 and those going 90 when I'm just trying to do a responsible 75.

People here vary greatly by area, too. It's like they are either on valium or meth. In the west, even thinking about going the full speed limit makes you some kind of maniac. In the city, you have to drive like you stole it to get along.

Holy crap we are off topic here....

Do you have a MK6 Jetta SEDAN? (2011-2015) Contribute to our mileage thread here! Over 70 cars and 3.5 million miles of data!
Dozenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:31   #297
oilhammer

Well to be fair, many cars in STL City ARE stolen, so....
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:28   #298
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Quote:
... Sometimes I make silly faces at them as I pass.
I use rudimentary sign language
Old September 28th, 2017, 13:14   #299
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
I use rudimentary sign language
The flashing of a binary number?
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:41   #300
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I told my kids that I finally learned how to drive in NYC a few years back. One hand on the horn, one hand on the wheel, and one hand in the air. Don't stop for pedestrians because they will never let you go.