HID Headlights

Kray-Z

TDI
98 Jetta
My buddy grabbed some HID headlights at a Black Friday sale for a really good deal. However, the plug on the back of my lights does not match the one on the HIDs.

Is there an adaptor that I can get for this, or am I going to have to chop off the old plug and put on a new one that matches the lights?

Thanks!

ajrn

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat, '98 Beetle

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
What kind did you get? What type of plug?

There are some aftermarket "Euro" lights for our cars that use a different style bulb.

Kray-Z

TDI
98 Jetta
I am not sure exactly what everything is called, but here are some photos:
The plug on the current Jetta lights:

The Plug on the HID kit:

The HID Kit:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Just putting HID bulbs in your existing housing is not a good idea, your stock reflector housing was designed for the operating/illumination characteristics of Halogen bulbs. Without being mated to a suitable housing you are going to blind oncoming traffic; HID generally require special projector type lenses (not reflector type). Also, HID's generate much more heat and have much different electrical load characteristics, especially during start up.

Search this site for "HID upgrade", "HID retrofit", etc. this topic has been extensively discussed.

This is also a good site
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
HID generally require special projector type lenses (not reflector type).
That generalization is false.

FreeForm reflector and pattern lens based HID's have been designed for use in: Toyotas, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes-Benz, etc.

Typically not all projectors are suitable for HID either.

No matter if it is a freeform reflector, patterned lens, or projector--- they have to be designed for the characteristics for HID output

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
That generalization is false.

FreeForm reflector and pattern lens based HID's have been designed for use in: Toyotas, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti, Acura, Mercedes-Benz, etc.

Typically not all projectors are suitable for HID either.

No matter if it is a freeform reflector, patterned lens, or projector--- they have to be designed for the characteristics for HID output
Hence why I qualified it with "generally". My other assertions still stand. Did you read the link I posted from Daniel Stern's site?

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
HID lights do come in 9005 and 9006 with their individual/respective bulb sockets.

"OUR" problem is that the B4's have two lights, one for high and one for low. SO far, I cannot find a bulb that would properly replace the high beam 9005!