1997 B4V 1Z Grocery Getter Build

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Fought the insurance company for 6 months, and got $12,000 for my wagon. Used half off it on a dieselgatewagon for the wife.

Had the car retitled as Salvaged.

Had frame pulled and the rear quarter repaired and painted. Not like JJ's but still sexy.

Let it sit for a couple months because babies don't let you go in the garage.

Fresh TB, I'm so rusty, five hours!

Radiator and under the IP coolant hose replacement (I hope to never try to push that lower intercooler hose on again)

Redid the clutch

Still need to take that cursed header off and switch to the AFN manifold at some point (new IC pipes is what's holding me back). Just sootin the engine bay and leaking, but I can put around locally in it for now.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Despite half your photos being off by 90 degrees or upside down I'm still glad that you're wagon is repaired and back on the road!

Steve

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Thanks guys.

Steve, for whatever reason, they change depending on computer or iPad, so I started rotating a couple... Now it seems it's all wonky ;(. Looks on kilter for me on my iPad /iPhone. Maybe I should upload them again.

We'll speak John ;)

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Even that much is quite a feat with babies. And $12,000??? How on earth? Well done. Please share your secrets. Did they pay you out for mods and such? You are with Wawanesa, right?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
$1500 vs $12,000.00
Oh it was a fight for sure, but that's what people don't do. Everyone just believes the company is giving them the best offer. I can give some tips ( receipts, comps, good appraisal, documentation) but yeah, original offer was $1500 for a green sedan comp. yeah right! I even fought my own insurance company ( Wawanesa). Love them guys!

18 month old and a 9 month old, and we moved while the wife was pregnant. BUSY!!
Did all that work while wife was on spring break (Teacher) so the only time we didn't have to pay for a sitter. But now I got an itch to work on it again!

Installed my old under dash trays. Forgot how nice it is to have a fake glovebox.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
What are those under dash panels from? They don't look the same as the b3 ones I have in my car. Are you still running the front mount intercooler?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Those are euro b4, perfect fit width wise. None of that excess gap the b3s have. no need to remove an airbag on the passenger side. Just chop 2-3 inches of the depth off of the passenger side because we have a/c and these come from non a/c euros. Passenger side comes in fully open versions and mine with a door that flaps up and down (never fully closes)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Well done!

Unfortunately / fortunately, I sold mine to my niece. She needed wheels. She certainly likes the power and handling. Hates the door handles! I'm slowly funneling my spares to her.

Tony

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Finally got the new plates after four months.

Why on earth did it take that long?

When my Jeep Comanche was branded as salvage by an insurance company, it only took me a few days to get fresh plates. Had to have a lights and brakes(?) inspection, then take the forms to the DMV. Then walked out with the plates. Worst part was waiting in line at the DMV office.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
New plates as in Legacy Plates John. Wait list is now 5 months for the 1960's plate.

(probably got confused about the dead picture because linking here is such a pain)

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Oh man, first time in a long time I went through this thread. Had no idea about the car being whacked like that!

Good to see it straightened and back on the road. Wish my old sedan looked anywhere near that clean. I'm too cheap to get it painted :)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
New plates as in Legacy Plates John. Wait list is now 5 months for the 1960's plate.
Glad I asked the question. I just purchased a 1969 Corvair convertible - and I have been thinking I need to get Black plates with exactly the same "ZLF168" that I had on my first new car 47 years ago. Also a 1969 Corvair I owned for 16 years.

So do you have some tips/info/insights on what I need to do the get a reissue of the old plate?

Thanks,

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Glad I asked the question. I just purchased a 1969 Corvair convertible - and I have been thinking I need to get Black plates with exactly the same "ZLF168" that I had on my first new car 47 years ago. Also a 1969 Corvair I owned for 16 years.
So do you have some tips/info/insights on what I need to do the get a reissue of the old plate?
Thanks,
Which engine? (pleasebeaspyderpleasebeaspyder...)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Easy peasy, start your order asap, then wait for a little envelope in the mail. Bring that, your two plates and your registration with you. And they swap you out.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/ipp2/initPers.do

Kind of wish the plates cost more for renewal, looks like it's one of the cheaper ones at $40 renewal. No wonder everyone went for one after the initial buy in. (I voted for the 50s plate but it got refunded).

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Oh man, first time in a long time I went through this thread. Had no idea about the car being whacked like that!
Good to see it straightened and back on the road. Wish my old sedan looked anywhere near that clean. I'm too cheap to get it painted :)
As am I, only money bags Jackson has done the repaint (twice I believe!). Only thing that got a repaint was the rear quarter panel.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
140 hp 4 carb engine. The turbocharged engine was dropped after 1966. But I have a complete 65 turbo engine in the garage.

The 1962 Corvair Monza Spyder was the second production car with a turbocharged engine. It put out 150 hp from a 145 cubic inch engine. By 1965 it was up to 180 hp from 164 cubic inches.

The first turbocharge engine was in the 1962 Olds Jetfire. 215 hp from 215 cubic inches. It beat the Corvair to market by a couple of weeks, but only lasted till 1963.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
140 hp 4 carb engine. The turbocharged engine was dropped after 1966. But I have a complete 65 turbo engine in the garage. May use it in another project Corvair.

The 1962 Corvair Monza Spyder was the second production car with a turbocharged engine. It put out 150 hp from a 145 cubic inch engine. By 1965 it was up to 180 hp from 164 cubic inches.

The first turbocharge engine was in the 1962 Olds Jetfire. 215 hp from 215 cubic inches. It beat the Corvair to market by a couple of weeks, but only lasted till 1963.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
That's worth a double post!:D
I had a 150 turbo that I eventually reworked into 300hp using the Crown Eng.
Weber 45 DCOE sidedraft adapter and cold side on my little 150 hot side! Hybrid!
It was the rig from their Manx Pike's Peak racecar.
This was in 1972...:eek:
I would like to see your 'vairs sometime. I might get the bug again.
I nearly bought a Corv-8 conversion a few years back...
Apologies for the threadjack, Jeremy!

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
That's worth a double post!:D
I had a 150 turbo that I eventually reworked into 300hp using the Crown Eng.
Weber 45 DCOE sidedraft adapter and cold side on my little 150 hot side! Hybrid!
It was the rig from their Manx Pike's Peak racecar.
This was in 1972...:eek:
I would like to see your 'vairs sometime. I might get the bug again.
I nearly bought a Corv-8 conversion a few years back...
Apologies for the threadjack, Jeremy!
More threadjack!

A couple of months ago I picked up a Webber 40DOCE and a Crown adapter. So I am quite torn between rebuilding a 180 hp Turbo motor or a 140 hp 4 carb motor. The car is a 1968 Monza coupe with a 4 speed. Good body, but the rest of the car needs a bunch of work. The turbo motors were always a bit of a problem on the street as a daily driver. Also the 60's turbos were no where near as flexible as the turbos we have today on our TDI's. Anyway, my new bottomless pit to dump the kids inheritance into. I will send you a p.m. with some more information later today. But I also got a 1969 convertible with 24,000 miles on it and it is REALLY original.

End of threadjack (for now).

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Driving along just fine, just thought I'd post a picture.

240mm clutch kit we made vs the 228mm. Got rid of the feramic and went to organic. Used the same DC Pressure plate, flywheel we made ended up being 8 or 10 pounds of Chromoly after cutting it down. Not acting much different with a few lost pounds. Holding just fine after 10,000 miles now. I'd throw it on the dyno again if I had time to ditch the header. Leaky summabich.

[/IMG]
for reading
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=300496
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=427193