Another low power jetta after head replacement

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've been reading quiet alot about low power in mk4 jetta's, but still can't figure it out. I have a 01 jetta tdi, had some head work done and of course, tb and all the goodies that come with it. New filters as well. Replaced all 8 mm vacuum hoses as well. Did some logging but don't understand some of the results.

I've bought this car with a snapped tb, thats why had head work done to it. Had some error codes, but after I replaced everything, I just cleared them all without paying attention to them...pretty stupid thing to do...but I did it and now I have this low power problem...But no codes come back after over 1k of driving. Could someone help me diagnose the problem?

Here are some logs:
http://www.4shared.com/document/kKScrh2V/block3.html
http://www.4shared.com/document/Aw1LD5-s/block8.html
http://www.4shared.com/document/WtL4CLJs/Boost_log.html

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'll throw out some "COULD BEs"

Actuator on the Turbo not operating properly
Along the same thinking, the Vanes could be binding in the Turbo due to laying around while work was being done to engine
Even though you replaced Vacuum hoses ......... one could be loose.
N75 Valve could be on its way out
MAF sensor could be defective...... need cleaning!
Did you "double check" the Timing marks?
Lastly, the Injection timing may need to be bumped up a little

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I think that the actuator on the turbo works fine because it does reduce the boost when spikes happen...vanes are probably good too..but who knows...how do I check that?
How do I diagnose N75 valve?
MAF sensor is good, but I think that it could be on its way...when I logged block #3, it seems that towards 3.5k RPM's MAF actual was lower by around 50 points than MAF requested....do you think my MAF sensor is dying?
Timing marks are perfect...when fuel temp is around 154, my timing is around 55...that's slightly advanced...so that is not a problem...
I did notice that the feeding fuel line that goes to the injector pump from the fuel filter always has air bubbles...is that ok?

far_cry

Veteran Member
TDI
octavia 1.9 TDI alh
after the head work, did you do compression test ?
what IQ do you have?
try unplug the MAF and see any change.
when you replaced the vacuum lines ,you installed them correctly ?
the flex pipes from turbo to EGR cooler to EGR are tightened ?

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've cut every vacuum line to size....took one off, put a new one on and so on....no mistakes there...
Never did a compression test...not sure when I can get that done.
For my IQ....or lets say my car's IQ....I think it's in my block 8 log that I've provided the link for...http://www.4shared.com/document/Aw1LD5-s/block8.html see, that's the problem, I am not sure how to tell if everything is right...all i can do is run the log but don't have enough experience to tell if everything is right from those numbers....
I've check my MAF sensor by unplugging it...did worse when unplugged...but from the log on block #3, MAF actual is always lower then MAF specified...http://www.4shared.com/document/kKScrh2V/block3.html

I will double check to make sure my EGR pipes are tightened....

Only if someone could look at the links I've provided for the logs I've ran on my car and explain to me if everything is the way it should...this would be a huge help for me...I just don't have enough experience to tell if those numbers are what they should be.

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Is it normal for air to be present in my fuel filter or fuel lines? I mean, when the car is running, I constantly see air bubbles going to the injection pump...is that normal?

And today after I fuel up, when I started the car, it was misfiring a bit, or one of the cylinders wasn't getting fuel. I reved it up slightly and everything went back to normal....

Could this be one of the problems why my car is having low power?

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I've checked IQ on the car and seems that the numbers were off....I've lowered IQ to 4.0....car seems to run a lot better...

The weird thing is that I've put in 32784 as a new value and that's as high as it will go. But with these numbers, IQ is only at 4.0...jumps around a bit from 3.8-4.0...sometimes 4.2....I thought that you could lower IQ to 3....seems like that's not even possible.

a32e5s7

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well, I've got the car running and running fine....plus I do all the work myself...other then like head work or things in that nature....When I need those services, I'll take it to a shop and pay for it...other then that, I do appreciate all the help I can get...

Thanks a whole lot to Frank....great man

Last edited: