jetta mk5 tdi,

changed:

- top bearings and installed GLI springs
-changed rear control arm bracket
-sway bar end links
-front wheel bearings

tie rod and ball joint look ok to me,

any ideas ?

also the car used to sway, tracking all grooves on the pavement, jsut changed the rear control arm bushing/bracket, will test drive on a long drive to see if its realy better ,

alignement specs are differnent with GLI springs, but the car used to sway with old control arm bushing with the car fully alligned,

will have alignment redone since springs where changed...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Uhhh...need more information. Where is the noise coming.from? Under what driving conditions?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Right side? Left side? Up hi? down low? A single clunk, clank, or a series of rattles/chuckles?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
but be sure to have a close look. if it is moving around, you should be able to see evidence of that happening. look also at the subframe bracket. (big bolt head you can see looking up through the hole in the lower control arm)

sshoretdi

TDI
jetta gl tdi 2006 white with gti mags
search for subframe

the aluminum subframe in these cars (actually the various bolts that hold it and other items to the car frame) can stretch, and/or come loose.

I put a new set of bolts and these on:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/News/MKV_Subframe_Spacer/ES2102460/

you can also purchase subframe bolt bushings from several sources.
http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspensio...-kit-for-all-mk5/6-jetta-gli-and-mk2-audi-tt/

did that as well.......

bkeese

TDI
2005 Jetta
I've got a clunk also. Mine is left front, my son thought it was on the right. I read a post to check for play in both wheels. Grab the wheel and shake with hands 3 & 9 oclock, tie rod ends (steering). Shake the wheel 6 & 12 ball joints. Turns out, the upper ball joint on the left is bad (my son was wrong, 1 for dad).

Now for my problem, Rock auto doesn't sell upper ball joints, neither does Advance or NAPA. What is the part called? Where do I get it?

A05C

TDI
Mine just started to make a similar noise out of the RF yesterday, going to have it looked at today.

Just moved up to Michigan a few months ago and without a house/shop to work out of I'm having to resort to take in it.. yay..

bkeese

TDI
2005 Jetta
Check the front control arm bushing mount and or bolt.... I found mine was loose and making noise...
The lower is tight, no movement, it's the upper that moves, a lot. Most cars that is an upper ball joint. What is it in a 2005 Jetta?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The lower is tight, no movement, it's the upper that moves, a lot. Most cars that is an upper ball joint. What is it in a 2005 Jetta?

(10) above is a bearing that allows the strut (6), steering knuckle (1) wheel bearing/hub (12) and wheel to rotate with the top of the ball joint (5)

sshoretdi

TDI
...in the original post.
sshoretdi: Your original post is so random in order that it's hard to understand. It's no wonder we're confused...
not sure what you mean here ?

this is the list of parts I have changed, i dont see what is unclear about it ?let me know if i need to clarify things

also drove for like 530km yesterday, the car still sways with the 18'' wheels, starting to think the tires are effecting that ?

with my narrower winter tires, it doesnt do that at all, or to a minimum

RockinRam96

TDI
09 VW Jetta
Gents,
I have had a similar noise in the front end of my car for some time. It has progressively got worse. I haven't fixed it yet because I didn't want to drop any more money on the car before the buy back. but being that VW is dragging their feet I think it has become to extreme and needs to be fixed.

Originally I've been thinking it was a strut but after reading through this tread I'm thinking maybe it is a control arm bushing or the sub frame bolts.

My question is, if I drive the car up on ramps can tell whether the control arms are bad or the sub frame bots? Will the sub frame bolts just be loose and need to be tightened? Or may the holes be egged out and ruined?

I was considering rebuilding the entire front end (ball joints, struts, shocks in the rear, lower control arms, and upper control arms in the rear) but that is an $800 job with NAPA OEM replacement parts.

Thoughts. Thanks.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Gents,
I have had a similar noise in the front end of my car for some time. It has progressively got worse. I haven't fixed it yet because I didn't want to drop any more money on the car before the buy back. but being that VW is dragging their feet I think it has become to extreme and needs to be fixed.

Originally I've been thinking it was a strut but after reading through this tread I'm thinking maybe it is a control arm bushing or the sub frame bolts.

My question is, if I drive the car up on ramps can tell whether the control arms are bad or the sub frame bots? Will the sub frame bolts just be loose and need to be tightened? Or may the holes be egged out and ruined?

I was considering rebuilding the entire front end (ball joints, struts, shocks in the rear, lower control arms, and upper control arms in the rear) but that is an $800 job with NAPA OEM replacement parts.

Thoughts. Thanks.
I tightened the subframe bolts on mine and no more noise. I don't know if the 09 is known for the same issue.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Do you torque them to a certain spec or just tighten them down? Pull the nut off and use any thread locker?
I just tightened as hard I could without using a breaker bar. it's worth a try. Just don't over do it :) It only started happening because I removed it and didn't use new bolts when I was doing the flywheel change. No thread locker used. Now I've learned there is no need to drop the subframe or a-arm when removing the tranny. Just remove the drive flanges on each side. Slides right out.

sshoretdi

TDI
reason for the clunking was the sway bar bushings!!!!!!!!!

just changed them and no more noise :D:D:D:D