Anyone hopmebrewing in southern ontario??

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
Hey guys Im looking for anyone who home brews there own diesel in southern ontario. I am considering buying the machine to make home brew and would love to hear some peoples opinions on this.

Thanks
Rob D.

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
looking for one :/
I am just about to!

I found a great website last year that detailed how to make your own BioD with pictures and everything but I can't seem to find it right now
Anyone know what I'm talking about? I believe it was in pdf. format with great photos and I think the guy had converted his old Nissan truck to BioD..
Anyway, I digress. You don't really need a special "machine" to do it, I'm using a drill with a paint/grout mixer attachment and several used clean food-grade barrels (you know the big ones that olives or whatever came in - with the screw-on lids).
Anyway, I won't be doing this in the Winter, for obvious (freezing) reasons, but come Spring, I'll let you all know how it goes

I know that probably isn't much help to you (sorry
) but I'm just wondering if you really need to purchase any extra special equipment to do your own brewing. What is the machine you are referring to?
See ya!

sat2825

Veteran Member
I just picked up an awesome Biodiesel processor kit on Ebay, and plan to start Homebrewing early next month once I get it all set up.
I'll be set up to do 200Gals at a time, so I figure the first couple of batches will be to fill up the furnace oil tank for the house, then it's on to making fuel for the vehicles (once I'm confident that my process and quality control is good).
I'd be intersted as well meeting with others brewing/wanting to brew their own Biodiesel to share experiences, etc.

Cheers,
Joe

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
Im just starting to look into this now. A home brewing get together would be cool. im in stouffville 40 mins north east of toronto. i will find a link to the machine i am refering to later on. Im just about to do a search on infopop biodiesel and the DR peppar method. I know i cant save the world but any money i save on diesel will support my drinking problem....we i mean habbit. If anyone wants to get together in this neck of the woods i could host something at my place or we could meet up for a pint or two somewhere else or whatever.

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Re. a BioDiesel Brewing GTG:
I would be more than willing to host a 'brewing bee' at my place in the Spring. I am getting all my tools/barrels/vegetable oil source ready so we should have a GTG and get brewing once the weather warms up again!

In the meantime, I'm just trying to prepare for the Winter

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
Will homebrew biodiesel clog your engine?
Some people have said using biodiesel will clog on your pistons or something to that effect. Is this with low quality biodiesel, not homebrew? err!

VWScully

Veteran Member
TDI
Just check the BioDiesel FAQ's. If done properly, you should not have a problem with clogged filters. However, it's always helpful to have a spare fuel filter on hand when you make your first batches just in case you haven't got all the 'bugs' out
. Also, when making your BioDiesel; the cleaner, the better. It's probably not a bad idea to get a smaller micron fuel filter too.

Just do your research (it's what I've been doing when I don't want to do my homework
) and also talk to other people who run Homebrew. You'll see that it is not only possible, but better for your car and your planet

hth