Southern Ontario Mechanic Reviews Thread

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
This is a trial run as suggested by a few members. If you have an experience with a mechanic you would like to share, please do so in a civil manner. If its possitive, then great. Its is always good to hear good stories. BUT, if it is a negative review, please state only FACTS and please don't turn this thread into a head hunting excercise.

I am counting on the veterans here to keep things civil, that way, we can all have a valuable resource for choosing who we decide to give our business to.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i used to do all my own wrenching - but priorities change and now i send my car to AutoSelectTuning. They've done everything from swapping motors, timing belts, Clutch upgrade, suspension upgrade, brake upgrade, turbo upgrade, intercooler upgrade, exhaust upgrade, basically anything you can think of in the car short of upholstery work they've done it. Good reliable work at a fair price.

AutoSelectTuning
298 Rutherford Road South
Brampton
905-453-4400

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
I do most of my own, but being the wrong side of 40 and not feeling like putting my back out doing my clutch in my driveway.....took car to G-Tech in scarb
they mostly do Porsche, BMW and Benz but slummed on my clapped out old rig

work was done right and price was fair
link
http://www.gtekauto.ca/

Steve Clark

TDI
2012 Wagon
Subscribe.

My 2012 Golf Wagon is only a few weeks old and plan to do service within the warranty period at the dealer. After that I might be interested in looking for a TDI guru close to London. Any recommendations on that?

RDA3440

Veteran Member
TDI
None
/sub

I take my car to a GTA local named Phil Douglas. So far, he has been honest and reliable with better than fair prices. A very nice change after some not-so-great challenges at DCB with respect to pricing, work quality, and work ethic.

On the Dealership side, Cornell and the guys at Town & Country VW have been very nice to me with respect to warranty work, corrosion claims, and even last-minute emergency help (Alan in parts).

For performance specific items, I have been taking my vehicles to Defcon-racing for many, many years.

Please don't ruin this thread. If you have questions, shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I am my own mechanic and only have myself to blame when things go wrong.
Much Appreciated!

Now when I mess something up I'll know whose fault it was...

Yuri

PS: reminds me of an old joke:

This fellow from Britain comes to St. Louis for a visit. During a conversation, the taxi driver offers him the following riddle: "It isn't my sister and it isn't my brother, but it's a child of my mother and father... who is it?" Well, the Englishman ponders it over and can't figure it out... So the cabbie says "It's ME !!!"... Well, the visitor thought that one brilliant, and when he got back home, he offered it to his friends: "It isn't my sister and it isn't my brother, but it's a child of my mother and father... who is it?" Well, they couldn't figure it out either, so they asked him... he answered: "It's a taxi driver in St. Louis!!!"

Last edited:

jeank

TDI
05 passat wagon,03 jetta wagon,05 smart cdi.
Me and my wife have 2 diesel vws.One 05 passat and one tdi jetta wagon.While i was on vacation my wifes passat had a popping noise coming from the intake/airbox area.So she had it taken to an above mentioned GTA local.I wanted the car back on road quickly as possilbe so i ordered a cylinder head complete from the us (Odessa cyl head florida).The mechanic installed the head , the car would not start.After investigation it was a chinese head.This is after 2 months of sitting.Then i rebuilt my own passat cylinder head.The car would start and run for 30 seconds then stall.He suggested that i do my injectors , i had them sent to dbw in idaho.They came back and same problem.4 months later , and lotsa $$ still wasnt fixed.Finally i had enough and towed it to Brandon at DCB.A week later it was up a running again.Thats my story.Thanks Brandon

OptimusFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 DEAD-RED Jetta
Why are there ALWAYS newbies on this forum that are "PRAISING" DCB? Smells kinda fishy, if you know what i mean. Looking at jeank's post history, only 2 posts. 1st one was back in 2007, and now all of a sudden he is back for a "DCB is so great" post in this thread? Please. where the F have you been in 5 yrs? And just like Kristina, hasnt posted forever.

I tried to buy some parts off of him through PM, and the guy took a coment that i called him a halfarce so seriously when i said i dont know if he is or not but he didnt want to sell me parts. I said alright, its your loss of business. I was just kidding. but he took it very seriously. And was very rude. I wouldnt want my car serviced by a rude person.

But to stay on topic, I have used H2sport and Wroth. Both are great shops, but H2 is kinda expensive.

Last edited:

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
I have used 410-auto in stouffville since moving here in 2008 on both my dubs. He has always done good work and is honest.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Subscribe.

My 2012 Golf Wagon is only a few weeks old and plan to do service within the warranty period at the dealer. After that I might be interested in looking for a TDI guru close to London. Any recommendations on that?
Try Gerry aka Diesel Dazzler in Dorchester, VW Master Mechanic, TDI owner and trusted timing belt go-to guy. And a nice fellow to boot.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I know many on here don't like the VW dealerships for service. But if you find yourself in Kingston and in need of work on your TDI, the VW Kingston dealership has two good diesel Tech's named Garry Fralick and Nick Pappas..

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know about the quality of their mechanical work, but I wasn't impressed with Kingston VW's parts department... they don't keep much in stock... I've had much better luck at Universal Garage on Binnington Court... (Still, when I need or want to farm out some TDI work, I bring the car to Brandon in Toronto...)

Yuri

Diesel Maniak

TDI
74 Bug
any TDI techs/gurus who can do tbelt ? Sudbury or Northern Ontario that is recommended, let me know

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
I don't know about the quality of their mechanical work, but I wasn't impressed with Kingston VW's parts department... they don't keep much in stock... I've had much better luck at Universal Garage on Binnington Court... (Still, when I need or want to farm out some TDI work, I bring the car to Brandon in Toronto...)

Yuri
So far haven't had much to do with their parts department. Other than buying a couple liters of 507 spec oil. There service department isn't all that great either. I can overlook that as long as they have knowledgable diesel techs. I'll have to check out Univeral Garage on Binnington Court.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
The Bug Shop in Hamilton has been doing work for me for the last 6-7 years always superb work and great prices (I Mind you i really don't care much about cost as long as i'm getting quality work i hate doing things twice) The whole time going there (6-7 years) they only had to redo a job once...they changed the oil cooler seals and they started to leak again 2 months later...without hesitation they changed the seals as soon as they spotted the leak while they were doing other work on my car....that to me is awesome service...I'm 100% gonna be a lifetime customer.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Try Gerry aka Diesel Dazzler in Dorchester, VW Master Mechanic, TDI owner and trusted timing belt go-to guy. And a nice fellow to boot.

I am going to try his services soon then!

Does he still work at VW?

Liav

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS
I had a great experience at Brandons shop (DCB). He's always honest and professional. If something doesn't need to be fixed he will tell you. My car handles well and is now ready for another 200,000 km. Thanks again Brandon.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I'd highly recomend Perjad at "Precision tuning" (8600 Keele st. unit 46, Concord, north T.O.) especially for the do it yourselfer......reasonably priced, quality parts and great advice for free when your stuck.:)

Had one very disapointing experience at schnell's near peterborough...enough said.:(

john weeda

TDI
Driving a 2004 ford ranger 4x4 tdi alh
Hello i live in London (Aylmer) Ont and would like to get a timeing belt changed on a TDI ALH 2001 jetta dose any one know a good spot that is cheep?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello i live in London (Aylmer) Ont and would like to get a timeing belt changed on a TDI ALH 2001 jetta dose any one know a good spot that is cheep?
Cheep places are for the birds...

Gerry (User "Diesel Dazzler") works at Autobahn Motors, 268 Wharncliffe Rd N (London) 519-433-6001... Great TDI mechanic... don't know if the shop where he works is "cheap", though...

Yuri

PoloPolo

TDI
'99.5 ALH Jetta, cool white. R.I.P '04 BEW platinum grey Jetta (car fire)
Autobahn motors - london

I get my tdi's serviced at Autobahn motors in London, it's worth the drive from Stratford. Great service, very personable and thorough. I'd recommend them for a timing belt change. I've found their prices to be reasonable.
I found them while looking for Gerry. He Saved me from buying a new turbo by pointing out the previous mechanic had installed the n75 incorrectly:D.
We recently purchased a used tdi that my wife spotted on their lot, excellent expeiriance. Chris (owner) treated us very fairly and was very respectfull of my wife's questions. (drives me nuts when mechanics / shop owners treat people like morons.)

xengr

TDI
Golf Mk6
I get my tdi's serviced at Autobahn motors in London, it's worth the drive from Stratford. Great service, very personable and thorough. I'd recommend them for a timing belt change. I've found their prices to be reasonable.
I found them while looking for Gerry. He Saved me from buying a new turbo by pointing out the previous mechanic had installed the n75 incorrectly:D.
We recently purchased a used tdi that my wife spotted on their lot, excellent expeiriance. Chris (owner) treated us very fairly and was very respectfull of my wife's questions. (drives me nuts when mechanics / shop owners treat people like morons.)
Do you know if Gerry still works there? I was hoping to find someone to install the dieselgeek skidplate under my car, and he sounds like someone who would take the time to do it right.

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI

Whatever you do, do NOT go to 'Top Gear Imports'. They have charged us for parts and labor we didnt NOT request to have done...and not just during one ocasion.

Always cash jobs/parts also, so its hard to link it back to them if you were to have issues.