Ontario GTG! - GTA, Southern/Central Ontario area

papiot

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a GTG around the GTA.

I have just recently purchased a 2005 Golf tdi and would like to see what
everyone else has.

I am actually interested in seeing modded Golfs, to get an idea of what
looks good (and what doesn't - I'm sure there's none of that :) )

Also I'd like to share the same experiences and discussions that exist here, but over a cofee, not in front of a keyboard.

Who's interested?

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
I contacted Autohaus Barrie and he seemed interested but hasn't said yes -- or no, yet.

I know he was disappointed he didn't sell more parts at the last one, but no one can control that.

He was miffed that at the first one some people did a parts run to Pfaff --because his parts department wasn't open.

So I've been trying to appeal to him about the great PR value another GTG could have for his dealership. He wants to sell parts, cars and service, which is understandable.

So we'll se how it goes. I suggested a date in late January or early Feb.

Doc_Oc

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
Muggins...I have to give you a ride in my NEW car...216 in and hopefully Unitronic chipped by then. I will see your "bone stock rocks" atittude then. :D

A bunch of great guys arround here that I didn't get to meet yet, them and their rides. Looking forward to a meet like that.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I totally understand the Barrie VWs view of the whole thing. I mean the first one was one thing, as their parts department and service department didn't open on Sat at the time. The second GTG there, the manager shut the service department down for the TDI Club! It's just too bad that in general the TDI club members take such good care of their cars that we don't need many parts at GTGs. :D I hope that the turnout in terms of people working will be more like the first one, and not the second one. The second one was busy at first, but it cleared out pretty quick, and there were only a handful of cars left by the end of the day.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just a question out of curiosity, when was the first and the second GTG at Barrie?

Last year on the 8th of April I got my car and I visited the GTG on the 13th of April 2005 just to see what it is all about. Met some really nice people there too, but I was only taking it all in. No need for me to buy any parts, but the parts dept.was open and I bought a VW logo cap. I only had 5800 km on the clock then.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I can't remember which one was which.. All I remember was getting really dirty helping Gary with his EGR :) I also did nozzles that day and some suspension and also changed my tranny fluid...

:)

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
i'm definatley interested in a GTG like this. i got quite the list of things to do in terms of maintenace and general care of the car. plus i am dying to see what the chip and nozzles actually mean in terms of gains compared to a stock engine. But all that aside i'd be more then happy to just learn from the more experienced people how to better maintain my car.
OmegaRenegade

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Last year, the first Barrie GTG was in Jan I believe (yes, it was quite cold that day). The second one was in April. And Bill's dirty adventures occured in the Jan one Also when his car decided to squirt him with a good shot of diesel while we tried to get his injectors to start up. HA HA HA

I wish I had an indoor place I could offer to the club for a GTG. :( Durring a discussion with a local member we talked about those pay-per-hour to use the bays kind of place. Would people be interested in something like this if a group rate could be set up? Obviously this wouldn't be a free GTG, and I have no idea what the hourly rates are, but you'd be able to use hoists, etc. If people would be interested, I could see what the rates are and if a group rate could be set up. We'd require a really good turnout, though.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Ya I am in for sure, I will need an oil change and need to change my fuel filter as well, so this would be a good opportunity!

Vik F

Veteran Member
TDI
nil
OmegaRenegade said:
i am dying to see what the chip and nozzles actually mean in terms of gains compared to a stock engine. OmegaRenegade
lol..carefull what u wish for....i am near the west side of brampton..in bolton...if u would like to see what a slightly;) :p modded tdi can do :D

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Vik F said:
lol..carefull what u wish for....i am near the west side of brampton..in bolton...if u would like to see what a slightly;) :p modded tdi can do :D
*cough cough* bullisht!

Don't take a ride in Vik's car! One, you'll suddenly learn where all the grab points are in the passenger seating position. :D Two, you'll start your way down the modding road, and it's a hard road to get off of. I think I've officially told people I know about 10 times in the last year that "THAT project was the last thing I want to do to my car". Yeah...I've already got some more things planned coming up this year!

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
....and Vic's car finds itself another potential candidate (victim) :D

fortunately the Dub's have ample "oh st*t" handles

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Vik F said:
And if Vik's car doesn't do it for you, drop me a line and you can take a ride in mine :D

J/K Vik ;)

I'm sure you could keep up with me just fine :eek: .

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
LNXGUY, Bill did my .205 nozzles while I just asked dumb questions. When it was done I grinned from ear to ear.
The only other mod I am doing is to chip it when I get back home and then put my tuning box up for sale.
Right now the combination .205's and TB is pretty good already.

Wish the GTG was after the middle of April though.

papiot

Veteran Member
So when shall we have the meeting?

I am interested in seeing what big nozzles do on a TDI :D

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
rob2001 said:
I'm interested....

I'm new to TDI's (one week) and I'm located near Barrie.

Cheers
Nice to see another local TDI'er in Barrie Rob :)

If you see a marron Jetta, no badges with 5% tint, riding on steelies and seems to be a bit louder then stock, you'll know its me, lol..

Where abouts are you getting your fuel? I have been having great results with the Sunoco Station, just west of the 400 on Dunlop.

Good luck with the new oil burner..

Bill

ps: John, I don't think my vision has been the same since that!!! lol.. The prob was trying to bleed one injector at a time.. When I did Rudy's I bleed them all at once and actually had it fire up with only 2 injectors tightened down.. You should have seen the look on his face when he roasted the tires at the first stop sign we came to.. PRICELESS!!!! I have some exhaust work that I need to get done and fabing it up on a hoist is alot easier then underneath a set of ramps...

papiot

Veteran Member
Ok, since I have started this thread, I'll bite the bullet and say:

Let's have the GTG the first weekend of February, on Saturday, Feb. 4th. Location to be determined soon.

We can even meet at some Tim Hortons in Berrie, or any other place like that.

rob2001

Veteran Member
LNXGUY said:
Nice to see another local TDI'er in Barrie Rob :)

If you see a marron Jetta, no badges with 5% tint, riding on steelies and seems to be a bit louder then stock, you'll know its me, lol..

Where abouts are you getting your fuel? I have been having great results with the Sunoco Station, just west of the 400 on Dunlop.

Good luck with the new oil burner..

Bill

ps: John, I don't think my vision has been the same since that!!! lol.. The prob was trying to bleed one injector at a time.. When I did Rudy's I bleed them all at once and actually had it fire up with only 2 injectors tightened down.. You should have seen the look on his face when he roasted the tires at the first stop sign we came to.. PRICELESS!!!! I have some exhaust work that I need to get done and fabing it up on a hoist is alot easier then underneath a set of ramps...
Bill - Most of the time Husky on the 400 (at 88) since I work in Markham.

Cheers

rob2001

Veteran Member
papiot said:

Let's have the GTG the first weekend of February, on Saturday, Feb. 4th. Location to be determined soon.

We can even meet at some Tim Hortons in Berrie, or any other place like that.
Hmmmm -thats the only weekend I'm out of town. Any rain dates?

Cheers

papiot

Veteran Member
how about Saturday February 11?

I can basically go any weekend except the weekend of February 18th when I will be out of town.

Any other suggestions?

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
LOL...I'm not even going to start commenting on my Feb availability. The 18th I'd probably be okay with in the morning. Stuff to do later on in the day. Last weekend in Feb not good. The 11th not looking good. But don't schedule around me. Things always change last minute with my friends.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
papiot said:

I'll offer an unconventional location :)

I'm gonna drive to the cottage (Muskoka, 160KM from 401/400) on the 4th because I haven't had my latest TDI out of the city since I got it.

It will be purely a test run - winter appears to have been canceled, so it's not like I'll be able to go snowmobiling when I get there.

If anyone wants to do likewise, speak up. I can send you a map and make sure I have enough BBQ fodder to feed you lunch. If you'd like to crash in the basement and head back to TO on Sunday, we can accommodate a few bodies.

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI
I'm in. Give me a buzz. Located in Toronto.

My add says Toledo, Oh but is not good anymore. How do you change that?