Cold weather CEL

Chopdadddy

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Temps here are in MD are 18 to 20 today. I got a CEL when driving this am. The car was not at normal operating temps and is running fine. Can extreme cold cause CEL to come on? I have never seen this before. I am about 500 miles away from 40k service. Never had issues with this car before.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Does the light come on again repeatedly? We got our first CEL ever while driving to VA from IL on the 26th December. Lasted overnight and through the other stops until we reached our destination. Car then sat for 2 days, and when I started, no CEL. And, since my VCDS is loaned out, no way to check codes. Several people have told me that a recurrent CEL is likely the DEF heater in the tank going bad.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Throughouth the CEL business, and ever since, the car has performed as always- without a hiccup.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
oil full, coolant full= drive er and figure it out later

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
oil full, coolant full= drive er and figure it out later
That's what I did when I first got the CEL- all fluids were fine, and have just been driving ever since......

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Temps here are in MD are 18 to 20 today. I got a CEL when driving this am. The car was not at normal operating temps and is running fine. Can extreme cold cause CEL to come on? I have never seen this before. I am about 500 miles away from 40k service. Never had issues with this car before.
A check engine light can come on for any number of reasons. You'll need to scan the computer to find out exactly what the problem on. Simply being cold is not one of the reasons for the check engine light to come on.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
tdiatlast, Not sure what scanner he used.. it gave the P205B code..
That's the code for a bad exhaust fluid temperature sensor. This component has an extended warranty on 2012 - 2014 Passats, but not 2015. If your car is still under the factory warranty, I would recommend visiting your dealer. In all likelihood, your check engine light will return soon.