Q7 HPFP Failure Right Before Buy Back

vtek71

TDI
2002 TDI Golf, 2002 Excursion 7.3 4x4
Guys i'm in a bit of a bind. my hpfp failed literally 1 month before the buy back of my q7 tdi was to happen. Stealership quoted 18,000 to replace entire fuel system. Being i'm at 140k miles, no warranty applies. Looking for the cheapest solution to just get it to idle. Thats all that needs to happen for VW to buy it back. Can i get away with just changing the HPFP alone? Keep in mind i just need to get it to run for a little bit to qualify for the buyback.
thanks!

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
No clue. When it shreds it sends shards through the system. You could try just replacing the pump, but it's a possible rabbit hole.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
One of my customers needed to get his Jetta running for buy back and we tried HPFP, but it didn't help, so we had to put injectors in to get it running. I would guess you would have to do both.

Last edited:

vtek71

TDI
Well i replaced the HPFP, and still no start. The fuel pressure is only reading 34 bar and the required demand says around 250-300. Seems to be getting fuel supplied to the HPFP ok, but just not building pressure. Think the regulator could be stuck open from the debris that passed through it?

IA DPE

TDI
2009 Jetta (sold back 08/18); 2014 Q5 (totaled 12/19😥); 2013 Dodge Cummins
Andrew have you developed a 2 Micron system for the 3.0s like you did the 2.0s?

I might be interested...

vtek71

TDI
Guys i fixed it! Unplugged the fuel pressure sensor and it fired up then died. So i removed it and cleaned it with brake clean then reinstalled. Now it runs. Incredible.
Hopefully no one else has this issue thats qualified for the buyback but if you have a hpfp failure don't let the dealer rape you for $15-18k. $700 pump and some heartache and its good now. Thanks for your replies!