TURBO: Please report NMS turbo failures here. [not a discussion thread!]

mike518_2002

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
2012 VW Passat Turbo Failure

Moderator Note: OP, please fill out the applicable survey information below...
Original discussion post can be found here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4235315&postcount=685

Miles on car at failure: 38,605
Build date:
Corrective actions from dealership:
Outside air temps at failure:
Failure warning signs, if any:
Warning lights on dash/MFI:
Problems since replacement:
Repair time:
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Are you the original owner of the car:
Did you baby your car or not:
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:
How long is your daily commute:
Transmission:

Last edited by a moderator:

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Miles on car at failure: 37k
Build date:unk, purchased middle of Sept, 2011... right off the truck of the first passats shipped (will update when car gets out of shop)
Corrective actions from dealership:Replaced Turbo
Outside air temps at failure:around 80F
Failure warning signs, if any:Glow plug light flashing, no power, check engine light
Warning lights on dash/MFI:Glow plug light flashing, check engine light
Problems since replacement:Still getting replaced
Repair time:Quote from dealership is 4 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: no
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: Yes
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:NA
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:I always let it warm up and cool down. I do drive very spirited at times, but overall really took care of the car.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: Not sure, if that is turning your car off in the middle of a regen then yes.
How long is your daily commute: 40 miles both ways
Transmission: DSG

Last edited:

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Also, one thing to note is my car is past the bumper to bumper warranty by 1k miles. When the car broke down, I called VW roadside assistance (who really knew nothing except that I pay for the tow if it's over 36k miles), and paid a good fee to have the car towed. I was told by the dealer that I will be reimbursed for the tow and the full work will be covered under the powertrain warranty.

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Another thing I thought of that is worth mentioning... I did have a bit of a warning for the failure. I made a 10 minute stop in the middle of the trip, when I started the car there was a noise that sounded like a big exhaust leak just as the car started to turn over. I idled it for a while and drove it carefully for a few minutes. All seemed to be well until about 40 minutes later when the turbo blew.

ACSCOTT

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI

Recent victim of the turbo failure, very disappointing at 6600 miles. I also own a 2005 Passat TDI without issues.

Miles on car at failure: 6600
Build date: 2012
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced many parts
Outside air temps at failure: 80 F
Failure warning signs, if any: Just died while driving
Warning lights on dash/MFI: none
Problems since replacement: not yet, just have it back now about a week
Repair time: 17 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Also, they said there may have been tainted fuel, fuel was possibly contaminated with kerosene. Dealer stated a service tech from VWofA came to check out the car and he said gasoline companies have an over stock of kerosene because of a mild winter last year and mixing some in with the diesel to get rid of it. Really????
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: N/A
Are you the original owner of the car: Yes
Did you baby your car or not: Definitely baby the car
How long is your daily commute: 26 miles, few day a week
Transmission: Auto DSG

Had another turbo issue when the car had 3000 miles on it back in Jan 2013. Car went into limp mode and would not exceed 30 mph. At that time they replaced one part and sent me on my way.

They also emptied out my fuel tank and flushed the entire system, I had over a half tank left. (Picked up the car with no fuel left, warning light on, nice dealership!)

Has anyone been able to get anything from VW Customer Care for this extreme inconvenience on a $35K car???

Last edited:

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
kerosene aka diesel #1 is used to winterize diesel fuel

Last edited:

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI

Recent victim of the turbo failure, very disappointing at 6600 miles. I also own a 2005 Passat TDI without issues.

Miles on car at failure: 6600
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced many parts
Outside air temps at failure: 80 F
Failure warning signs, if any: Just died while driving
Warning lights on dash/MFI: none
Problems since replacement: not yet, just have it back now about a week
Repair time: 17 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Also, they said there may have been tainted fuel, fuel was possibly contaminated with kerosene. Dealer stated a service tech from VWofA came to check out the car and he said gasoline companies have an over stock of kerosene because of a mild winter last year and mixing some in with the diesel to get rid of it. Really????
How long is your daily commute: 26 miles, few day a week

Had another turbo issue when the car had 3000 miles on it back in Jan 2013. Car went into limp mode and would not exceed 30 mph. At that time they replaced one part and sent me on my way.

They also emptied out my fuel tank and flushed the entire system, I had over a half tank left. (Picked up the car with no fuel left, warning light on, nice dealership!)

Has anyone been able to get anything from VW Customer Care for this extreme inconvenience on a $35K car???
What part did they replace before?

ACSCOTT

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
VW Customer Care pulls through!

As I had mentioned in my earlier post I had two problems with my turbo on my 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium. The first problem was when the car had 3000 miles on it and it went into limp mode not being able to exceed 30mph. That was fixed in 24 hours which ended up being some type of boost solenoid. The second issue was major when the car totally died while driving and unable to re-start, had to have it towed. It was at the dealership for 17 days and the problem turned out to be a bad turbo. It had 6700 miles on it and they replaced many parts.

I had called VW Customer Care to explain that at this point my wife was afraid to drive the car and would like a replacement. They told me that would look into it and get back to me. Well, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They told me they would take 10% of the MSRP and deduct that from the invoice price of the car, but I had to negotiate the trade value that a dealer would give me for the 2013.

To make a long story short I traded in my 2013 that I had for almost exactly one year to the day for a 2014 and with the VW assistance it cost me just under $2700 plus tax and the usual tag fees, ect... I couldn't be happier with VW Customer Care. The new car sticker price was $34,865. I picked up the new one yesterday and the new VW car-net is included which is really something cool and it also has the LED rear plate light, only differences I see from my 2013. Oh, and the radio/Nav seems to be a bit faster to respond as well as the rear camera.

I did let the VW Customer Care woman Diane know that I also own a 2005 Passat TDI (for my son) and a 2007 Jetta 2.5 (for my daughter). That may have influenced their deal somewhat or not.

New car = $34,865
- $3486
Invoice = $33,252
- $3486
= $29,766
Trade - $27,100

My cost = $2666 + tax, tags

Last edited:

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
VW Customer Care pulls through!

New car = $34,865
- $3486
Invoice = $33,252
- $3486
= $29,766
Trade - $27,100

My cost = $2666 + tax, tags
Very nice... Enjoy the new car. I am in the same boat, but do not think I will stay VW, plus I drive an insane amount of miles so I will be hosed because of that. That is a rock solid trade on your part though.

rmd0311

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Well I have fallen victim to a blown turbo which sucks. Here are my details.
Miles on car at failure:40100
Build date:Aug 2012
Corrective actions from dealership:Replacing Turbo
Outside air temps at failure:55
Failure warning signs, if any:None, just failed
Warning lights on dash/MFI:None
Problems since replacement: None, traded in the same afternoon I got the car back
Repair time: 7 days
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Asked, dealer said it just happens, and they have seen more than usual on Passat.
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule:Yes
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil:
Are you the original owner of the car:Yes
Did you baby your car or not:Yes when cold, yes in first 10k.
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators:I would say between 7-10
How long is your daily commute:135 round trip
Transmission:6MT

I honestly got this car and was hoping for 100k+ worry free miles with proper maintenance. I'm done... Unless I really get hosed with the trade, I'm done.

updated info above...

Updated again on 11-25
Got the car back on Friday, unfortunately traded her in the same weekend. I was just shopping but the dealer was aggressive and gave me too stellar of a deal.
Thanks for all the help. I did ask in regards to what it was replaced with and was told that they only replace with ReManufactured turbo's... That tipped the trade itch for me. That they have the gluttony of Turbo's that are reman'ed boded unwell for me.

Anyways. All the best to everyone and thanks for the assistance, hopefully this helps to pin point reason down the line.

Last edited:

Tulipana

TDI
2013 Passat SLE
2013 Passat TDI SLE turbo failure

Just got my 2013 Passat back from the dealer. The turbo failed at 23000 miles. I completed the survey for everyone's info. I drive my car pretty conservatively commuting primarily highway 70 miles a day. I had to revert to my 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel while the Passat was in the shop. The mechanic described the failure as "turbo charger impeller came apart..." I hope the new turbo is more reliable

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
Just got my 2013 Passat back from the dealer. The turbo failed at 23000 miles. I completed the survey for everyone's info. I drive my car pretty conservatively commuting primarily highway 70 miles a day. I had to revert to my 2004 Dodge Ram Diesel while the Passat was in the shop. The mechanic described the failure as "turbo charger impeller came apart..." I hope the new turbo is more reliable
What was your build date? What was the turbo part number before and after the fix?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Sorry about your car.

Can you please fill out the info from the first post of this thread. thanks.

Marsholio

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
12-17-13, I was shifting from 2-3rd gear and heard a thud, followed by loss of power, and a blinking glow plug light. Engine was cold, but I shift below 2K RPM and don't use more than 1/4 throttle until the motor warms up. I was within a mile of my house, so I pulled over, shut 'er off, fired her back up, and limped back home. By the time I got home I had a check engine light on, and I was all but certain what had happend. I pulled the code at the house and got a P0299 underboost code. After checking all the turbo ductwork for and lose hoses, or lose vaccum lines I called VW. I live 75 miles from the nearest dealer, just had the thing towed. I was out of the 36K mile warranty, but powertrain warranty will cover the turbo.

Miles on car at failure: 39500
Build date: 10/2012
Corrective actions from dealership: Replacing turbo, inspecting DPF and intercooler
Outside air temps at failure: 55F
Failure warning signs, if any: There was a "thud" and immediate loss of power
Warning lights on dash/MFI: glow plug light started blinking. turned car off and back on, drove 1.5 miles home, on the way CEL lit up as well P0299
Problems since replacement:
Repair time: Towed to dealer 12-18, told it will be after Christmas for the repairs to be completed
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: Service Advisor said he had not heard of a turbo failure on the TDIs
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: negative, I performed the maintenance
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: Bought the oil and filters from VW, first change @ 5K, then 10k, and every 10K... was just about to do the 40K
Are you the original owner of the car: yes
Did you baby your car or not: I didn't hot rod it, 95% of the miles were interstate
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: yep
How long is your daily commute: 150 miles
Transmission: 6MT
No turbo #'s, but when I head over to the dealer to pick it up, I'll see if I can get ahold of them.

Marsholio

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
VW Customer Care was great, paid for my $300 tow (said the check was in the mail) and offered the $750. I've just never had this hard a time giving someone $27,000

Turbo numbers:
03L 253 056 E V120
OF 50211401 00433
BV40E-0005

Sales Manager Jason finally called me back after I emailed the dealer, suppose to deliver the car (I live 75 miles away), and new paperwork before I "go to bed" today. He told me I was being unreasonable, and I told him this is the most negative experience I've ever been through. Offered a few tanks of fuel to make up for not keeping me in the loop on when and where the car is, and not calling me back the various timesI tried to reach him.

Last edited:
TDI
2003 Golf, 2003 Beetle and 2012 Passat
2nd turbo failure

I have just experienced my second turbo failure on my 2012 Passat TDI SE. The first on was at 26000 miles and the car now has 49000 miles. VW says they are going to put a new engine and turbo in the car this time. But we are still discussing this matter. I was without the car for three weeks last time and had to take it back for a coolant twice. I have been without the car for a week this time.:mad:

This time all the oil went out of the crankcase into the engine.

Miles on car at failure: 26000 and 49000
Corrective actions from dealership: Replaced engine and turbo
Outside air temps at failure: 20F
Failure warning signs, if any: Loud squealing noise, smoking
Warning lights on dash/MFI: glow plug light flashing/check engine light
Problems since replacement: haven't gotten it back yet
Repair time: N/a
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures:
How long is your daily commute: 80 miles per day

Last edited:

bboshart

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline 6M Sports Package
A colleague at work lost her turbo (2012) on the weekend. So both of us that drive Passats had failed turbos, needless to say our other workmates aren't running out to buy TDIs :( . Interesting again now that winter is here, failures are increasing again.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Miles on car at failure: 44000KM
Build date: jul/aug 2012 bought sep 2012
Corrective actions from dealership: replacing it
Outside air temps at failure: + 7C
Failure warning signs, if any: none
Warning lights on dash/MFI: flashing glow plug light, followed by CEL
Problems since replacement: not done yet
Repair time:
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: said it was their first one
Did the dealership perform all maintenance and on schedule: yes
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: dealership did oil chnages, 500KM before next oil change due so 14,500KM on the oil
Did you baby your car or not: drove it normally
Do you interrupt DPF regenerators: not sure
How long is your daily commute: 87KM
Transmission:M
Was driving a short distance from home, 2 or 3 km, glow plug light started flashing, lost turbo power, had the wife check the lights in the manual, then the CEL came on. I turned around and drove home. Checked for squirrel/rodent chewed wires, saw nothing, checked for codes, got a P0299, took for another short drive to see if turbo had reset, it hadn't, drove it home. Left it there until Monday morning frove it 25KM to the dealer.

It never made any weird sounds at any time last week or on the way to the dealer, I would never have guessed the turbo was gone, other than the loss of power.

The dealer replaced a valve (95 something), no change. They then checked with VW, who asked them to check out the turbo. There was a little oil inside, they asked them to check to see how much was in the exhaust, they said not much. They said VW wanted anything contaminaited with oil replaced. I got this message late this afternoon, they supplied me with a rental while they are fixing it.

Don

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Build date: jul/aug 2013 bought sep 2013
Repair time:
Any dealer divulged info on other incidents involving other failures: said it was their first one
If not dealership, what oil was used/miles on oil: dealership did oil chnages, 500KM before next oil change due so 14,500KM on the oil
Was driving a short distance from home, 2 or 3 km, glow plug light started flashing, lost turbo power, had the wife check the lights in the manual, then the CEL came on. I turned around and drove home. Checked for squirrel/rodent chewed wires, saw nothing, checked for codes, got a P0299, took for another short drive to see if turbo had reset, it hadn't, drove it home. Left it there until Monday morning frove it 25KM to the dealer.

It never made any weird sounds at any time last week or on the way to the dealer, I would never have guessed the turbo was gone, other than the loss of power.

The dealer replaced a valve (95 something), no change. They then checked with VW, who asked them to check out the turbo. There was a little oil inside, they asked them to check to see how much was in the exhaust, they said not much. They said VW wanted anything contaminaited with oil replaced. I got this message late this afternoon, they supplied me with a rental while they are fixing it.

Don
Really? Is there a documented case here on the forum?
I'll guess that this was a 0020.

superchud

TDI
Build date: jul/aug 2013 bought sep 2013
Repair time:

Don
If you can get the part number off the turbo, it would be good to know if failures are extending into this version of the BV40E.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Is there a typo on the build date? 2013 or 2012? I noticed the purchase year on your signature line is 2012.
You are correct, it is a 2013, bought new Sep 12, I'll wake up later. I updated that above, I will update the missing info when I get the car back. Turbo supposed to be in tomorrow or Friday, I'll see if I can get part numbers for the old one.

On the age posting poll, there are currently 615 who voted. At 31 turbo failures on this site that is 5%, assuming everyone on here voted, which is not likely.

I posted in the failure survey, but I don't show up on the map.

Don

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Serial number from dealer for the new turbo is:

PD5022237500272

The old one is BW # 00005, as was expected by other posters, I'll get that for the new one. When I asked, I thought what I was looking for was a "part number".
I am supposed to get the car back Monday.

This thread should become a sticky?

Don

Last edited:

superchud

TDI
Serial number from dealer for the new turbo is:

PD5022237500272

I am supposed to get the car back Monday.

This thread should become a sticky?

Don
What about the part number? That will help us track failures in the 0005 series as well as determine what is going in as replacements and tracking those failures (if any).