12v Power Outlet

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
We have 3 12v power outlets in our vehicle. 1 in the ashtray, 1 in the back of the center counsel, and 1 in the trunk. The one in the back of my center counsel has stopped working, but the other 2 work perfectly fine. Is there a different fuse for each one? I've only found one fuse and it's not blown. Any ideas?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Fuse 281 power outlet rear of center console behind left front footwell kick-panel. 20A fuse.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
That was a PITA. I wonder why they didn't put that fuse in the general fuse box. I suppose the one for the trunk is in the same area?

Thanks for your speedy response and pointing me in the right direction. I really appreciate it!

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but can someone explain the location of this left front footwell kick panel?

I looked down around where my feet are when driving but I'm not seeing it or I'm not looking right or I just can't think like a Volkswagen engineer.

Thanks for any help,

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
The other fuses...

I believe you have to remove the foot rest to locate this one. [Edit: may be not, but I think this fuse is behind the plastic cover just left of this foot rest]. Since you have the wagon, I can show you the 20A fuse locations for the other 3 outlets.

- Driver 12V outlet fuse: look for it in the fuse panel on the left side if the dash board (picture of this fuse panel here)
- 2 x 12V outlets in the cargo area fuses: below the dash board and above the driver footwell. You can see both of them in this picture (both 20A)

I forgot to locate that 4th one (fuse 281) last time I had the panels off :mad: while I was installing a Prodigy trailer brake controller. However, you should be able to find it with the description above by MOGolf.

Last edited:

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
05passatTDI,
thanks for those pics they are excellent!

The problem is that I found the panel, I'm just too mechanically inept to figure out how to get it off. I undid the nut holding the footrest and the screw underneath the cap on the panel. by bending the footrest i got the bottom of it unhooked but it still seems attached on the left side.

Is it attached to the panel?

the panel seems like the only way it wants to come off is by sliding up (vertical) but there's not enough room.

I know I keep asking but I want to have this car for a long time and I don't want to destroy it.

Can anyone help with some insight on how to disassemble this?

Thanks all for your help,

05PassatTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat GLS Wagon Stonehenge Gray
another guess...

KALaBenne said:
I undid the nut holding the footrest and the screw underneath the cap on the panel. by bending the footrest i got the bottom of it unhooked but it still seems attached on the left side.
I recall an up+forward motion is required. However, I just checked a picture of this area here and did not see a 20A fuse. I think it may be the 20A fuse in the top right corner of this picture. This would make more sense since the 2 x 20A fuses for the 2 outlets in the cargo area are below it. It may be worth your time to check it out unless someone else can point this fuse out in more details.
Cheers!

Last edited:

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
On the 2005 Wagen, you get at the two 20A fuses for the rear 12V plugs by removing the bottom of the dash on the driver's side. Here's a picture of the where the four T-25 (torx) screws are located after you pry off the fuse panel cover.

On my Passat the bottom left screw bracket was broken (NOT by me), but that doesn't matter as there's also a white plastic pinch bracket way under the dash panel that holds the panel tightly in place on the left (sort of where the white arrow points).

So after removing the screws, I pried the panel straight out starting at the top and pulling on the bottom next to that white plastic pincher. There's also some tabs on the top that help hold it snuggly in place.

Then just lay it on the floor and change the fuse like so:

The white arrow points to my blown fuse so I suppose the fuse next to it is the second rear 12V socket. But there's another one up at the top right; rear console 12V socket?

There's also a lot of mysterious, numbered, plug-in electrical boxes, but I restrained myself from unplugging them to find out what they do.:D

Anyway, it was all pretty simple and went back together without problems.

Hope this helps.

HowseA

TDI
2003 B5.5 Sedan
Just wanted to thank you for posting this. My 2003 sedan blew the fuse to the rear console outlet and your post enabled me to fix it. (It was, btw, at the top right of that electrical panel.)