Scan Gauge II

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I have an '06 Jetta with package 1. So I do not have a trip computer and so on.

I have been looking at http://www.scangauge.com/, but when I look at the compatiblity table, I do not find any VW, other than the Corrado listed.

So my question is whether it will work on my car. If any of you are using it on your '06 Jetta, please tell how you like it.

IBWALT

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
Bio, seems like there was a thread about this same thing a couple of months ago. I can't remember what all was said about it (scangauge) but I thought that it was an interesting piece of equiptment. I think one member even had a pic of it in his car. If I am not mistaken it was in the OBD section. You might do a search and see if you can find it.

bobjackson

I have one. It works great. Out of the box it will read optismistic on mpg, but there is an adjustment when you fill up. I now have this factor set at +11.4% and on my last take pen and paper was 50.0 vs 50.3 on the gauge.

I have it mounted with the supplied velcro on the steering wheel column, and since it also displays a correct mph vs the speedo which is off, I have found that I generally base by speed and rpm off of it and not the factory cluster.

you can run the wire basically tucked in under the dash and steering wheel column and the cable is very discrete this way

it also has a user adjustable backlight which can be adjusted to a blue hue that is sort of similiar to that displayed by the dash.

In all, I would highly recommend it. It gives a lot more potential information then the computer in package 2 does, and you don't have to buy leather to get it. I have found that I have adjusted my driving style fairly significanty with it.

A

azbioguy

I have the ScanGauge II also. Like bobjackson's, mine was optimistic, but after the calibration it was only .1MPG off compared to my pen and paper calculations.

Here's mine mounted in my 06 Jetta at night:

sippinoil

TDI
Golf, 05, Silver
Does the Scangauge show boost pressure as well? I saw that it listed manifold pressure as one of the readings, does this work on the TDI??

Thanks!

A

azbioguy

The boost readings work fine on the TDI. The only problem is that the display doesn't update fast enough to show you rapid changes, such as the boost spike during acceleration. It's nice to see what the car is making though when you are cruising down the road.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
How about this ? I've read in the owner's manual that one can send extended codes to the engine computer. If I wanted to change certain behaviors, such as timing, or what ever, would I be able to look up what the code is and then send it to the computer with scangauge ?

If so, has anybody succesfully done it yet ?

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
Hmm... going to have to get one of those... can some folks post some pictures of their installs? Bobjackson especially, I'm thinking of mounting it on the column.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
A little off topic seeing as I'm currently the only Canadian poster in this thread; is there any way to switch from imperial units to metric units? I.e. show km/h instead of mph, and litres instead of gallons. The ScanGaugeII manual and the FAQ page does not answer this. azbioguy or bobjackson?

edit: My mistake, it's actually in the Adobe PDF manual - I initially tried searching for the answer by using search keywords "metric," "imperial," and "litre" with no matches. Turns out it's really there on page 6, after some manual reading.

ScanGauge II recently replied to my email within 1 hour of me sending them a question :)

ScanGauge's email said:
Mark,

The units of measure can be independently selected between Miles/Km, Gallons/Liters, Celcius/Fahrenheit, and PSI/KPA.

If you choose Km and Liters, fuel economy is reported as liters/100Km (LHK).

Ron
I really like the independant selection, i.e. I can leave it as MPG while I set mileage/speed to read km/h separately.

Last edited:

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
quadcomm said:
A little off topic seeing as I'm currently the only Canadian poster in this thread; is there any way to switch from imperial units to metric units? I.e. show km/h instead of mph, and litres instead of gallons. The ScanGaugeII manual and the FAQ page does not answer this. azbioguy or bobjackson?
Quadcomm, yes there is. When you set up the gauge, or any time thereafter, it allows you to select the units of measure. You can select liter, or gallons, etc. But I would encourage you to go to http://www.scangauge.com and take a look at their PDF manual, which is online for you to download.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
BioThomas, if you look at the compatibility list it says that 1996-2000 and 2004-2007 it works on all vehicles. 2001-2003 Mercedes are not compatible.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Sent Email to Tech Support

I asked about the USB interface and here is the reply I received from Ron:
The interface is a unit with memory and processing power itself. It has a cable that plugs into the unused connector on the ScanGaugeII and another that plugs into a USB port on a computer. They don't have to both be plugged in at the same time.

The interface will use SD Cards for data storage. You can plug it inot the ScanGauge for logging and for other upload/download tasks. It can be removed from the vehicle and taken to a computer for data transfers.

The ScanGaugeII has all the hardware needed for the interface, but will need an upgrade of its program to use it. The Upgrade is free when you purchase the interface.

Price has not been finalized yet. It is expected to be under $100. This will also include the software for a windows based computer.

The ScanGaugeII is compatible with the 06 Jetta TDI. It won't show fuel pressure. On some TDI's the ignition timing it reports is actually injector timing. Not all TDIs report this and I have not been able to figure out which ones do based on year or model.

Ron

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Just got mine

I just got my scangauge, hooked it up, and it appears to work just fine. Won't be able to play more with it yet, as I'll have to do some work for the office here momentarily. I can't wait testing it out.

Someone asked about where the connector is. It is, as was pointed out somewhere here on the board, under the driver dash, sort of to the left, when looking forward. It is kind of purplish in color. Real easy to find.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Fuel Tank Size

What do you guys set your fuel tank size to ? I know that the A5 has 14.5 gal, at least that's what all the literature says. However, Scangauge lets us only use 14 or 15 gal. I set mine to 15.

Then I noticed that 14.5 gal works out to 55 liter(s=US spelling). So, I tried the size setting at 55 l. However, miles/liter looks kind of awkward. May be I should go all mertric, since I grew up with metric.

What do you all use?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Guys,
Just got my scangauge yesterday.... Calibrated it today on a 200 mile
run. It too needed a 11.? % adjustment.
BT, We all here in MO use anything BUT metric....:eek:
Speed can be measured in furlongs per fortnight:D .....But it takes to much trouble!:D :D
Mine does NOT report IGN timing, that stays blank.
06 jetta pkg 1 5 speed.

Good luck all!
Bill

rpsharpe

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Did anyone answer the question regarding the ScanGuage II programing. It says you can send codes to the onboard computer. Not sure how or what one would use it for. Anyone every try it??

elasto

BioThomas said:
What do you guys set your fuel tank size to ? I know that the A5 has 14.5 gal, at least that's what all the literature says. However, Scangauge lets us only use 14 or 15 gal. I set mine to 15.
What do you all use?
The manual says to round *down*, with the justification that it is better to underestimate miles to empty rather than overestimate it. So, I use 14.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
rpsharpe said:
Did anyone answer the question regarding the ScanGuage II programing. It says you can send codes to the onboard computer. Not sure how or what one would use it for. Anyone every try it??

The SGII is made to work on just about any OBDII car. I would
have no idea where or how to start sending codes to my car.....

I am not about to experiment on my car without more info and it
does not seem to be forthcoming.

Bill

A

azbioguy

I set mine to 15 gallons since you can actually squeeze about 15.5 gallons into an A5 if you fill it to the brim.

elasto said:
The manual says to round *down*, with the justification that it is better to underestimate miles to empty rather than overestimate it. So, I use 14.

fantomasz

Im not TDI owner but I had this scangauge.I have 05 GTI 1.8T automatic and I can't read engine temp and manifold pressure.I will return this.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
fantomasz said:
Im not TDI owner but I had this scangauge.I have 05 GTI 1.8T automatic and I can't read engine temp and manifold pressure.I will return this.
Odd...wonder what's diff between the 1.8T ECU and the TDI EDU?

WORBC

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle
Resetting CEL

I'm new to the TDI having just purchased a 1999 TDI, which I really like, I live in New Hampshire and have found a great shop for it.

I'm looking at all sort of modifications and upgrades in the near future, include body modications. But currently, I'm having a CEL P0380 (Glow PLug Cir) code. I've spent the past week reading everything on this great web site and have found loads of data (props to everyone). I've been back to shop three times and will go back this AM to reset the code, but I have checked everything, replacing some parts that were questionable, cleaning the "New" bus, etc..., and I even replaced the "blue" water temp sending unit.

My question is aboutt he ScanGuageII. I remember reading somewhere that it will allow you to reset CEL codes? Has anyone tried this yet?

I also hate the fact that the TDI doesn't have water temp, oil pressure, and amp gages. It appears the SacanGaugeII will provide this data?

Other than price whats the advantages of getthing this item versus the software/computer/cable option (VAG-COM).

Suggestions / comments are greatly appricated/?

--terry

Terry (WORBC) Rector

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
WORBC said:
I'm new to the TDI having just purchased a 1999 TDI, which I really like, I live in New Hampshire and have found a great shop for it.

I'm looking at all sort of modifications and upgrades in the near future, include body modications. But currently, I'm having a CEL P0380 (Glow PLug Cir) code. I've spent the past week reading everything on this great web site and have found loads of data (props to everyone). I've been back to shop three times and will go back this AM to reset the code, but I have checked everything, replacing some parts that were questionable, cleaning the "New" bus, etc..., and I even replaced the "blue" water temp sending unit.

My question is aboutt he ScanGuageII. I remember reading somewhere that it will allow you to reset CEL codes? Has anyone tried this yet?

I also hate the fact that the TDI doesn't have water temp, oil pressure, and amp gages. It appears the SacanGaugeII will provide this data?

Other than price whats the advantages of getthing this item versus the software/computer/cable option (VAG-COM).

Suggestions / comments are greatly appricated/?

--terry

Terry (WORBC) Rector
Yes, the scanguage I and scanguage II can read the generic ODBII codes, as well as reset the CEL. I've reset CELs with my car and other peopele's 3 or 4 times.

The SGII can show water temp...not oil pressure (not oil temp either) and maybe voltage, but not amperage. Check their website for more info though (http://www.scangauge.com).

I spent $120 on the SGI a year or two ago, it was worth it. Bought the SGII (small discount for being a repeat owner). The SGII is a lot nicer than the original.

The advantage of the SGII vs. VAG-COM and laptop is size, but it can do waaay less. The SGII can be viewed while driving to see various data...that's not very easy with a laptop. The SGII can be sticky-mounted almost anywhere.

2500hd2

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat se
Hello,
I just picked up the sgII.
How do I set it to read the boost level?
Can I slow down the mpg level on the gauge area?
My mpg level goes crazy sometimes reading 9999999
Thanks,
Mark

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
2500hd2 said:
Hello,
Thanks,
Mark

Boost level is in the guage section: MAP
Manifold Absolute Pressure.
Idle is 14.7 or so depending on your altitude. So this is your zero....
15 lbs of boost will read about 29.7 or so. 14.7+15=29.7. OK?
So you don't have 29.7 lbs. of boost, you have 15...!

The MPG in guage section is intantaneous.....
Instead go to trip section and you will read average mpg: tank, today, current. All are figured on the fly.

Keep reading the manual..!!

Bill

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
2500hd2 said:
Hello,
Thanks,
Mark
Don't you love seeing those big numbers? Means you are getting good mpg. I just wish I could keep it at 9999999.

I had a programming teacher tell us about the end of file in the old days. They would use 9999 for end of file. Anyway, as he was explaining that, he said 'That's what the German girls used to say after the war: 'Nein, nein, nein ...'.

BioBob

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta (G3F Donor), 2003 Bora
Scangauge II coolant temp readings

I have a Scangauge II that I use on an '04 Bora and a '00 NB.

My issue is in the coolant temperature section ( and yes, I have done
several searches looking for info). The dash gauge in the "04 reads 190
(or slightly above, depending on ambient), but the Scangauge never reads
above 177. On the '00 it never reads above 166.

Has anyone else run across this discrepancy?

One of the reasons I bought the instrument was to get a coolant temp.
reading for the NB. Why is it reading at such a low level?

Any help would be appreciated.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
BioBob said:

Well, FWIW, mine reads 191° and stays there, when the engine gets up to temperature.

My gallons used seems to be right on, too.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
BioBob said:

Mine reads quite reasonable temps on my 2006. How long of a trip are
we talking about? It can take a while to warm up and on a winter day
it is difficult to keep the engine warm....... Mine usually reads 191 and
reports a peak of 193 often.
Could you have bad thermostats in your cars? Or not driving them
far enough to get warm?

Bill