Pinch Weld

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
I’m new to this forum but need some advice.

Took my SportWagen to the dealership yesterday for some brake work.

When I got home I looked under the car and noticed the pinch weld behind the rear lift point was damaged - both sides. Obvious to me they didn’t lift the car at the lift points.

My question is, other than the pinch weld damage (slightly separated and bent), should I be concerned about any other damage? Is the pinch weld area between the rear lift point and the back wheel arch still part of the frame? Strong enough to support lifting the car from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'd take it back to them, and do it soon. You need to see if the paint and undercoating is cracked and if there's any bare metal exposed. Just my 2¢...

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
I'd take it back to them, and do it soon. You need to see if the paint and undercoating is cracked and if there's any bare metal exposed. Just my 2¢...

Is it safe to lift the car anywhere along the pinch weld?

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
After noticing the same (both our rear pinch weld jacking spots bent/crushed), we took our 2015 GSW back to dealership to complain, but to no avail: they insisted the cars came that way, and showed us another car on lift with same issue.
Totally absurd statement, to say the cars came that way, when they were the only ones to ever lift our car.
Moral of the story: avoid taking your cars to dealerships whenever possible.

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
After noticing the same (both our rear pinch weld jacking spots bent/crushed), we took our 2015 GSW back to dealership to complain, but to no avail: they insisted the cars came that way, and showed us another car on lift with same issue.

Totally absurd statement, to say the cars came that way, when they were the only ones to ever lift our car.

Moral of the story: avoid taking your cars to dealerships whenever possible.

Agreed, that is absurd.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Take pics and send to VWOA and see what they have to say about them "all being that way." Mine is not.