Low Power and smokes

Pacer1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
2005.5 jetta 6 speed auto. 150,000 miles. I've put 50,000 on it with no problems.

driving out of a parking lot, I noticed it was low on power. Accelerated slow, and smoked. Its gotten worse. It acts like it loads up with fuel when going slow, but when it gets moving it goes ok, but its still low on power. It cranks easy, and idles smooth.

Its giving codes P0101, P0299, and P0404.

I cleaned the EGR, and checked all the vacuum lines. There is some oil around the turbo, but I can't tell where its coming from.

I would think its an injector, but it idles smooth. Is there anything else I can check without VCDS?

I've searched, but if there is a discussion on here that will help me, please guide me to it.

Thanks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Black or white smoke?

Got a Mity-vac hand pump?
A common problem is a leaky turbo vacuum actuator.
When it leaks badly enough you will not be able to draw the actuator rod down and hold it with the Mity-vac.

Have someone start the car and check to see if it is being pulled ALL the way down at idle.

Another problem is the EGR not fully closing upon acceleration.

There are plenty of threads on this. Check at the bottom of the page for "similar threads" that would apply to a BRM engine.

Last edited:

andrew825

TDI
06 Jetta TDI Manual
I had the same problem and the EGR was not closing. It basically remained open all the time which caused low to zero power in the low gears and tons of black smoke. After cleaning out the EGR and manifold the problem continued, proving that it was opening, then remaining stuck open. My solution was to close the EGR then disconnect it. I haven't had any problems since.

Pacer1

TDI
2005.5 Jetta
You guys got it. I can't thank you enough. The EGR was stuck open. I had pulled it out and cleaned it already. After reading your posts, I pulled it out again, and it was slightly open. I closed it and disconnected the motor, and the car runs great.

I'm assuming its going to give a CEL now, so my next step will be to have the ECU tuned. I have a full delete tune from GDE on my wifes grand cherokee, and its been great, so I might have to get them to do my car also.

Thanks again.