Valve for intake manifold flap ? ?

mfsvs

TDI
02' Jetta
Hello , I have an 2002 jetta TDI which is surging and low on power and blowing a lot of black smoke. It has 140k on it and I cleaned the intake about 20k ago . It has been running great until a couple or days ago . Checked it with a VAG-COM and code 16786(EGR excessive flow-intermittent) showed up. I removed the EGR valve , cleaned it up,checked the operation with a hand held vacuum pump and reinstalled it . Cleared the code , and the car ran great for about a day . Now code 19561 - (valve for intake manifold flap(N239) : open or short to ground P3105 - 35 - 10 - - - intermittent ) shows up . . What & where is this manifold flap valve and how do you test it ? You can clear the code ,but it comes back as soon as you start the car . Any help on this would be great . THANKS . .

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Should be the little vacuum doohickey on the backside of the intake. Held on with two 5mm hex screws. Has two vacuum ports and an electrical connector. When an electrical current opens it, it sends vacuum to the actuator that closes the EGR anti-shudder valve.

Check to see if it is complete plugged in. Unplug and replug a few times to make sure. See if the code reoccurs.

mfsvs

TDI
02' Jetta
I unplugged the connector , sprayed some electrical cleaner around and so far the code has not come back .. However the car still runs like crap , tons of black smoke , the engine surges , and when it surges the diesel engine clatter gets louder and loses power .. When the engine quiets down to normal levels,the power comes back ever so briefly.( When you feather the throttle off idle , it gallops similar to a cold engine situation.) NOW , here comes the fun part : if the EGR valve vacuum hose is disconnected and plugged , no more smoke and surging , although it runs out of steam after about 3800-4000 RPM . It seems to run better at WOT with the EGR connected , but driveability at any other throttle position is terrible . . As I mentioned earlier , the EGR diaphram holds vacuum , and the valve itself actuates , it just seems like it is getting a wrong signal . . THANK YOU . .