Buying a jetta TDI with a rebuilt title?

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
2001 jetta gls with only 100k miles. One owner.

Fender bender rebuilt title.

Leather and power everything. Cleanest jetta i have ever seen.

But do i risk it? Here are pics of the damage.

The car looks brand new now.

What would you pay for this? I plan on running it till the wheels fall off. And i think i could save some money by buying this one.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Depends. If you are going to keep it forever and it drives OK and the damage is minimal and you get a huge discount for the salvage title because the resale value on those is shot, then sure, go for it.

I don't care what the apparent damage is, there is always more than you can/could see. And you won't get the whole picture. You won't. Period. I don't care what the seller says, you aren't getting the whole picture.

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
I plan on keeping the car for a long time. And really dont care if i loose value on resale. The damage doesnt look bad and like you said i could get a huge discount on a salvage title. Its a one owner car as well.....Its very hard to decide.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would want to get it to a good alignment shop for a 4 wheel align and thorough inspection plus cost estimate to repair.

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
This my opinion, others probably won't share the same views but here it is...

On an older used car (like this Jetta) a rebuilt title is the best thing that you could get. (at least in Canada). That means that the car went through a CRAZY safety inspection where everything was tested. A speed control on the blower fan not working is enough to fail the car.

So it is a bit of insurance that someone SHOULD of went over the car in detail to give it a rebuilt title. (assuming this was done recently).

Also, the price break on a rebuilt title is a nice bonus.

On a NEW car however, RUN AWAY! That means there was considerable damage and will probably never drive the same.

Cheers!

Wannabridin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Wagon, 5-spd, Desert Beige
i have a "salvage rebuilt" title on my Jetta here in TX. P.O. had a totaled TDI sedan and a gasser wagon w/ a shot motor. He did a full swap from the 1999.5 sedan into the 2001 wagon.

i can carry full insurance and the resale value has not been hurt since the drivetrain is the only thing that was changed. i plan on keeping the car for a LOT longer still (only 170k on the clock) so resale isn't as important here either.

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
Well the car was on ebay and sold for 5550.00. Alittle more then i wanted to pay for a car with a rebuilt title.

Das

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Jetta GLS TDI sold377k , 2012 black A3 TDI wagon
Rebuilt

5500 is to much for a rebuilt. Paid 4300 for a 02 jetta gls with 168k
It just sounds like the risk is not worth it at that price . Also how much
Do you know about the maintenance of the car?

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
They knew nothing. A dealer bought it from a salvage yard and repaired it and put it up for sale. I ended up passing on it. Too much for a salvage.

Good news though I got a 2002 golf 4 dr. Clear title. 78k miles. Having it shipped on monday hopefully!

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
What sells as salvage in one region for $3k may sell in a different region for $5k.

Just saying, region is everything when it comes to prices of cars.

My golf is a salvage. Right rear quarter was hit.

It's fixed now and I plan on driving the wheels of this car so salvage / non wasn't an issue for me.

DTDIE

TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
I just seen this post after sifting through some threads on here.

Well I carfaxed this Jetta and weighed the pros and cons for eight hours before the auction ended. I did what I call a sniper bid at the last 20 seconds for 5501.00....One shot one kill....Sorry to whoever got outbid if your reading this.

Flew down to Forida....Muggy weather blows... Got an oil change, one new tire up front and hit the road.... This thing drives like a dream, just needed a good detailing since the interior was disjusting.... Drove from Miami Florida to Milwaukee Wisconsin and felt like a new car the whole way. First fillup averaged 43.8mpg, second 44.6 and third 45.4, still have just under half a tank on the 4th fillup. I like these numbers compare to the 91 ecodiesel I use to have. The ecodiesel got 38-43mpg... it was never steady...

So after getting it home after a gruelling trip and feeling like total crap for days I finally give it a good inspection myself... My main conern was the timing belt. Timing is in tact but has tiny bits of freying on the outer edge of the each tooth on the belt, no cracks but looks a bit dry to me so Its gonna need a timing belt. While I was pulling off the intercooler to egr tube I noticed some signs of oil in it... I just routed the breather hose to the ground today... I wanted to still check the turbo shaft play since I already had some of the tubing out as well.

Come to find out there feels to be a little bit of shaft play in it... What the hell would cause the shaft at 102k? Higher exhaust gas temps from the egr? The oil from the crankase breather possibly mixing with particulants from an overdue airfilter?

I also just noticed it almost has nearly no heat so I plugged my scangauge and its at a steady 155*f so im guessing the thermostat is stuck open... Could a lower engine temp cause an adverse effect on the motor as well...

Otherwise Im super happy with this thing, it drives and performs like I thought it would. If anyone has any ideas or theorys on why this turbo has shaft play in it at 102k post here, im interested. Are these just a cheap line of garrets turbos?

Last edited:

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi
I just seen this post after sifting through some threads on here.

Well I carfaxed this Jetta and weighed the pros and cons for eight hours before the auction ended. I did what I call a sniper bid at the last 20 seconds for 5501.00....One shot one kill....Sorry to whoever got outbid if your reading this.

Flew down to Forida....Muggy weather blows... Got an oil change, one new tire up front and hit the road.... This thing drives like a dream, just needed a good detailing since the interior was disjusting.... Drove from Miami Florida to Milwaukee Wisconsin and felt like a new car the whole way. First fillup averaged 43.8mpg, second 44.6 and third 45.4, still have just under half a tank on the 4th fillup. I like these numbers compare to the 91 ecodiesel I use to have. The ecodiesel got 38-43mpg... it was never steady...

So after getting it home after a gruelling trip and feeling like total crap for days I finally give it a good inspection myself... My main conern was the timing belt. Timing is in tact but has tiny bits of freying on the outer edge of the each tooth on the belt, no cracks but looks a bit dry to me so Its gonna need a timing belt. While I was pulling off the intercooler to egr tube I noticed some signs of oil in it... I just routed the breather hose to the ground today... I wanted to still check the turbo shaft play since I already had some of the tubing out as well.

Come to find out there feels to be a little bit of shaft play in it... What the hell would cause the shaft at 102k? Higher exhaust gas temps from the egr? The oil from the crankase breather possibly mixing with particulants from an overdue airfilter?

I also just noticed it almost has nearly no heat so I plugged my scangauge and its at a steady 155*f so im guessing the thermostat is stuck open... Could a lower engine temp cause an adverse effect on the motor as well...

Otherwise Im super happy with this thing, it drives and performs like I thought it would. If anyone has any ideas or theorys on why this turbo has shaft play in it at 102k post here, im interested. Are these just a cheap line of garrets turbos?
ha wow thats awesome you found this thread. Yeah the car looked really clean! I as well got a car fax and was ready to buy but just didnt want to take the risk. But i am glad its a good car! I am not sure about the play in the shaft but glad this tdi was bought by a member!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
A new OEM thermostat will get it up to proper temp and probably pick up a few mpgs, too.
New TB kit and properly set timing will also usually help.
My 01 is a salvage title, but was damaged a lot worse than that. I bought it wrecked and rebuilt it and don't plan to sell it.
I bought my 2000 jetta in FL and drove it home to MN.
Nice bit of story you guys got going.

DTDIE

TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
ha wow thats awesome you found this thread. Yeah the car looked really clean! I as well got a car fax and was ready to buy but just didnt want to take the risk. But i am glad its a good car! I am not sure about the play in the shaft but glad this tdi was bought by a member!

Yea I couldnt believe it when I seen this thread, I had to post some replys.. I use to be on some honda forum when I had my 01 prelude I boosted(Got it up to 160mph once and was still pulling, big turbonetics turbo with a lot of turbo lag but monster top end.... Only boosted 7psi thinking it was safe lol. Loved that car till I nearly blew the motor, lol.... Those alum block motors where never built to be boosted..). These forums are the greatest thing for people to decide what works and what doesnt when modifying your ride or just troubleshooting. Thanks to all who built and manage this site, Its the most valueable source of information anywhere for your specific ride hands down! Again I thank all who manage and made this site, keep up the good work and never let it die!

Last edited:

DTDIE

TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
A new OEM thermostat will get it up to proper temp and probably pick up a few mpgs, too.
New TB kit and properly set timing will also usually help.
My 01 is a salvage title, but was damaged a lot worse than that. I bought it wrecked and rebuilt it and don't plan to sell it.
I bought my 2000 jetta in FL and drove it home to MN.
Nice bit of story you guys got going.
Ive been searching around on here and it seems everyone suggest the OEM thermostat cause of its design. So im gonna stick with the OEM one for sure, thank god its so easy to replace.... Im doing the thermostat on my brothers 2006 dodge stratus V6 and omg its in the most retarded spot.... gotta tear apart a bunch of crap.... I had V6s, all of em.

So on another note, this TB kit you speak of.... I havent looked into this. Its a better design im assuming. Is it for performance or effeciency or both? Im mainly looking for effeciency since I got all my pedal to the metal days out of my system a while back. Im looking for longevity with efficiency.

Oh and nice to hear you someone did basically the same trip as me with thier ride. I hope you love these things as much as I do.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Ive been searching around on here and it seems everyone suggest the OEM thermostat cause of its design. So im gonna stick with the OEM one for sure, thank god its so easy to replace.... Im doing the thermostat on my brothers 2006 dodge stratus V6 and omg its in the most retarded spot.... gotta tear apart a bunch of crap.... I had V6s, all of em.

So on another note, this TB kit you speak of.... I havent looked into this. Its a better design im assuming. Is it for performance or effeciency or both? Im mainly looking for effeciency since I got all my pedal to the metal days out of my system a while back. Im looking for longevity with efficiency.

Oh and nice to hear you someone did basically the same trip as me with thier ride. I hope you love these things as much as I do.
The TB kits from the vendors associated with the forum package all parts that are required replacement items, and are all of OEM or better quality. So, its not a performance/economy thing, just convenience. You get quality parts, the right parts, a great price and they usually help support the site and often provide valuable comments to us all.
Do a quick search, the names of their sites will come up. I don't care to list them and forget to include one/more.
Be very careful buying TDI parts, especially TB parts off ebay etc. There is a lot of junk out there, and it's cost more than a few a new engine.

Edit: Here is just an example and the one I have used
http://metalmanparts.com/product.sc?productId=1&categoryId=8

Last edited:

blueatlantic

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon(gone) 06 Jetta (gone) 09 JSW(gone) 03 Jetta (died) 03 Jetta Wagon 2012 JSW
Congrats on your new purchase! Definitely go with a quality timing belt from one of the vendors. You will not regret it. You will regret ebay parts..most likely. Best of luck!

oVWo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf gls 5speed tdi

Not sure if you know about the timing belt issues on these cars so ill inform you to the best i can. The timing belt should be replaced 80k miles or every 6 years. If you dont know if it was replaced when buying, thats the first thing i would replace. It could snap or skip a tooth and bend rods and it not a pretty site. Have to rebuilt if it does. So I would look into doing that asap. There are alot of horror story from people who dont change them and end up paying a few grand for a new top end. idparts has some good kits. Im new the forum as well so thats the only vendor i know of now. I know most of the tb kits now will last 100k miles. I just got a golf with 78k miles with no history of the timing belt change. Thats the first thing im doing when i get it. Im driving to jax to get it done by scott. the tdi guru. I think in tdi 101 there are a list of tdi gurus in your area. bring your car to them, never the dealer the dealer will charge 1300 or so bucks for a tb change. A guru usually around 700-800. Best of luck! and look forward to seeing what you do to the car. Do you have any performance or cosmetic changed your gonna do?