Has anyone tuned a Gen 3 after phase 2?

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Been reading through the threads about phase 2 fix impressions and while it's mostly positive, there are more than a few that have had a pretty lousy result.

I think I only noted one poster that opted for a tune and reported the driving characteristics were restored, but was inconclusive about the effect on MPG's.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You would have to be a damn fool to throw away an 11 year 165,000 mile warranty just for the sake of a tune. I might consider a DSG tune to make it behave more like I would shift a manual, but the engine - no touch.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You would have to be a damn fool to throw away an 11 year 165,000 mile warranty just for the sake of a tune. I might consider a DSG tune to make it behave more like I would shift a manual, but the engine - no touch.
Unless you don't like the car stock, and aren't concerned about component failure during the warranty period. I found the "fixed" '15s had a pretty bad flat spot off idle. Might be more noticeable with a manual, but it was always a disappointment compared to my rotary pump TDIs. Tunes make that go away. It also pulls much, much better in 6th. I filled my GSW today and it got 48.3 on the last tank. Only 10K on it, so that's probably going to continue to improve.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I feel like a damn fool for buying an extended warranty on my '11 which it never needed. There are plenty who see tunes as a waste of money regardless of warranty concerns. You only live once, might as well enjoy the ride.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Over 11 years and 165k miles I would bet it will need something over that time frame vs your extended warranty. Turbos, engines, hpfp's and emissions equipment can be pretty darn expensive if needed and you don't have to pay for this one either. The tune can fix some issues and cause others. It all just depends on what is important to you.

joshhol

TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT no sunroof, 1976 MBZ 300D & 1963 MBZ 220S; sold 2013 JSW TDI 6MT
If I were to acquire a Gen 3, it would be a resale from a dealer so the warranty would not be included. I would think the Gen 3 tuners out there are very small since the fix seems to work ok for most.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
If I were to acquire a Gen 3, it would be a resale from a dealer so the warranty would not be included.
I am pretty sure all cars with the fix come with the warranty.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
As The Tortoise mentioned, the extended warranty is on all fixed cars and is fully transferable to subsequent owners, at lease in Canada.

joshhol

TDI
Yeah, thanks. I was seeing conflicting info and did a little digging. Looks like dealers are pricing that warranty in

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
Yeah, thanks. I was seeing conflicting info and did a little digging. Looks like dealers are pricing that warranty in
The warranty is not priced in, it is a stipulation of the fix that will be on every fixed car no matter where it is purchased.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The warranty is not priced in, it is a stipulation of the fix that will be on every fixed car no matter where it is purchased.
Dealers price the car knowing they have a long warranty. It's the market at work. VW is not charging for it and the dealers are not listing it as a line item, but I can guarantee you that the vehicles would be cheaper if they did not have the sweet warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Dealers make money off the warranty work. They price the car at what the market will buy it for and they make money on, regardless of the court mandated warranty.